Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #1
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Lightbulb Front Light Idea

After looking at the Light wedge customization stuff in the forums I had an idea. I am going to try and use some white Electroluminescent wire and plexi and attempt to surround the piece of plexi with the wire and see if I can cobble together a workable front light. This is the one I ordered. I chose the smallest diameter for my first attempt.

Battery Powered .09 El Wire Kit

Not sure what Plexi I am going to buy or exactly how I am going to construct it. Any Ideas? Anyone else want to do it too and see if we can come up with a good homebrew?

JAMES
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:43 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Your plexy will have to have a wedge shape. That is the hurdle. It has to be molded to this shape. The only way you'll find one is through a company like Lightwedge.

A plastic without that shape will carry light in a straight line, with exit on the sides only. Your page will not be illuminated.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I don't like EL lighting. The power supplies tend to make this high pitch beep that drives me crazy. And no, I don't change in to a wolf when it's a full moon. :P
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:30 AM   #4
Vaporware
Not here yet.
Vaporware began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2 Ebook Reader
EL wire is great fun! The high pitch sound is the high voltage transformer. EL wire requires high voltage to work.

When you try this, try a flat sheet of 1/8" plexi with that wire hot glued to the edge all the way around and see how that works. Actually, since you got the thinnest it might not be very bright, so it might work pretty well in place of the LEDs in a lightwedge.
Vaporware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.

Yeah it may need a wedge shape. I am hoping that I can experiment on edge shapes or that since it's small enough of a screen edge lighting will cover enough to make it bright.

anyway it's just an experiment. May not work at all, but I haven't spent a lot on it yet.
Advert
Old 01-31-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You might try those acrylic picture frames they sell at drug stores for 'plexi' stock -- that's what I'm playing with presently.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.

That's a really good idea. I will. Once the EL Wire itself arrives I'll have a better idea of what I have to work with. The diameter I bought may not be bright enough.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
You can get small pieces of ordinary plexy in every home store. They are used, in various thicknesses, for the installation of window mounted air conditioners.

You could beltsand or grind it to a wedge, and then polish it, and use a blowtorch for final finish. Be prepared to put long hours to that task with mitigated results. You will get distorsions through it, it won't be adequate to read through. I've never gotten perfect results in surface prepped plastics. That is why I'd look for a molded piece.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
I don't like EL lighting. The power supplies tend to make this high pitch beep that drives me crazy. And no, I don't change in to a wolf when it's a full moon. :P
I'm with you, the high pitch from cheap transformers will drive me crazy after a while. Unlike UK 50 Hz TV and overhead lights, I can't get used to it.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #10
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.

Got the El light. .09 is way to dim. Also now I seee what you mean about the high pitched whine. Uggh. I wish they would just build a light wedge. It would make life alot easier.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:27 PM   #11
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Would something like this work with a few LEDs between the mirror and the Reader; the light side (mirror) facing the screen?

Two Way Transparent and See-through Mirrors

Hrmm... about 30-40% of the light makes it through and the rest gets bounced around. No idea how far it needs to be from the screen though. *shrug* How reflective is the screen itself?

Last edited by sea2stars; 02-13-2007 at 07:42 PM.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote