Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #61
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The tone of your note certainly sounds like the iPad _IS_ better in your opinion.
So what? Why should that bother you? The iPad IS FAR BETTER than any eInk reader on the market in the ways I mentioned in my post. I also listed things that the eInk reader is FAR BETTER than the iPad.

I'm glad you wrote to me what you did -- you illustrate exactly what I've been talking about. eInk readers have some advantages, some areas where they are clearly superior and no one would doubt or argue.

Reading in full sun, price, battery life, size, weight.

Yep, in every one of that list the eInk reader has it all over the iPad and any forthcoming android tablet.

However, there's a lot more to reading than reading in the sun. For someone like me, it's a "non issue" as I don't like sitting in the full sun reading -- so my iPad doesn't fail in this way for my use.

My iPad lasts "all day". I never read more than "all day" at one time. I do not find it onerous to plug my iPad in at night. So, for me, the battery issue is no big deal.

The iPad is lighter than many of the hard back books I read. It's more comfortable to hold than the thick paper back books I used to read. It has a larger screen than the regular kindle and that's an adequate trade off -- for me -- for it's weight. I read comfortably for HOURS at a time with my iPad, so it's weight is not an issue -- for me.

The iPad was purchased for all the OTHER things it does, so even the price is not an issue, for me.

Now -- to the parts the twist your panties into a wad. There are indeed areas where the iPad is CLEARLY and WITHOUT DEBATE better than the kindle, nook, sony or any other eInk reader. Whether those things mean much to you -- well, that goes to my statement that there are reasons one might choose one or the other.

Color. The iPad's glorious color screen makes it hands down better than a monochrom eInk reader for reading magazines, comics, newspapers and illustrated books.

Selection. The iPad owner can buy kindle books, nook books, kobo books, borders books, fictionwise books, pdf books. Adobe ADE support is forthcoming, but for the moment remains the only major type of book that the iPad can't read.

Internet. I do a lot of my reading on the internet (not books per say). The iPad is a great internet device.

Speed. The iPad responds instantly. There is no delay or "blinking" when going from one page to the next.

Poor light. The iPad is self lit (back lit). I can (and do) read in complete darkness with my iPad. There are far more times this is valuable to ME than times I need to read in full sun. No need to mess with a book light. No need to turn on a room light or the lamp stand. No need to bother my wife's sleep if I want to read in bed at night. Might not be important to the way you read, but it's wonderful for the way I read.

I've read 21 books on my iPad since I got it at the beginning of April. Not as much reading as some of you amazing folks, but I certainly qualify as a heavy reader. And like the far majority of folks who actually have an iPad, I find it to be an excellent reader.

It is not better in every way. It is indeed better in the ways that matter most for my own usage. It may not be better in the ways that matter most to you or another eInk user.

The iPad does not have the reading experience that a computer has even though they are both lcd screens.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #62
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
So what? Why should that bother you? The iPad IS FAR BETTER than any eInk reader on the market in the ways I mentioned in my post. I also listed things that the eInk reader is FAR BETTER than the iPad.
Yep. I have a bike, and I have a car. Both are transportation. To some extent, their functionality overlaps. But each is better than the other in some particular ways. I use my car when it snows. I ride my bike when there's not any parking. Your mileage, so to speak, may vary.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #63
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Yep. I have a bike, and I have a car. Both are transportation...
What, no timeshare in a Gulfstream 650??

(Sorry; the iPad vs. e-reader debate is, as they say, ready to have a fork stuck in it.)
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #64
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I guess it comes down to personal opinion. But I would never use the ipad as a dedicated ereader. One of my gripes with the ipad as a device is that it's size makes it impractical. Even if it was smaller and I decided that it would be useful in addition to my iphone and laptop/netbook. I wouldnt want to use it as a reading device.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #65
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I predict the Kindle-- or at least the dedicated ereader-- will be around to publish the obit for the New York Times.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #66
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
What, no timeshare in a Gulfstream 650??

(Sorry; the iPad vs. e-reader debate is, as they say, ready to have a fork stuck in it.)
Couldn't qualify for the license. The fonts on the Gulfstream are too small...
Old 08-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #67
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I guess it comes down to personal opinion. But I would never use the ipad as a dedicated ereader. One of my gripes with the ipad as a device is that it's size makes it impractical. Even if it was smaller and I decided that it would be useful in addition to my iphone and laptop/netbook. I wouldnt want to use it as a reading device.
Oh contrary. I use the iPad to read a lot. If Apple made one the size of a K3 I would get one over any dedicated ebook reader I've seen. But I would continue to read on the iPad at home. The one real defect of the iPad as a reader is its weight. What I would probably stop reading on very much is the iPhone.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #68
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It really doesn't matter which is better for reading eBooks. What matters is people and their own needs and habits and preferences.
Within 18 months or so dedicated eReaders such as the Kindle will be sold for <$50. In fact I believe they will be sold even cheaper as part of a book purchase plan similar to mobile phones.

Also I just can't see people like my neighbours and aunts and uncles, who have never had a computer and have no interest in computing, buying an iPad to read eBooks. This goes for a sizeable chunk of the reading community too.

So imho there will be a substantial community who will use dedicated eReaders alone to read eBooks. There will also be an even bigger community who will use both dedicated eReaders and ipads to read their eBooks.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #69
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Oh contrary. I use the iPad to read a lot. If Apple made one the size of a K3 I would get one over any dedicated ebook reader I've seen. But I would continue to read on the iPad at home. The one real defect of the iPad as a reader is its weight. What I would probably stop reading on very much is the iPhone.
The bottom line for the ipad with me is that I can't really see it's purpose because I have a laptop and an iphone and it's too big. If it was smaller say the size of a kindle 3, I might buy it but only as an entertainment device. I wouldnt want to use it as a reading device, not just because of the display but also because of the battery life. It's a great device no doubt, I continually sing the praises of the iphone which does the same things in smaller package. It's just not useful to me at this point in time. It serves no purpose.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #70
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Each to his own. I and several of my colleagues in our business have abandoned our laptops in favour of the iPad. It does everything we want. email, web, presentations, etc etc etc.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #71
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
saoir, I'm hoping to get there as well with a portable, wireless/connected tablet. The iPad is not it for me though.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote