Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #46
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post
What would you want in a new NOOK? Besides the Pearl film, which as far as I know isn't a design change.

I'm expecting a premium Pearl NOOK 3G to be added to the lineup sometime relatively soon. I don't expect Pearl on the NOOK Wi-Fi, because that model exists specifically to be more affordable. Unless B&N is able to obtain large quantities of Pearl film, which I think is unlikely for the next few months, I suspect that the standard Vizplex NOOK 3G will still be in the product lineup.

Anyway, it seems to me that the NOOK hardware is fine. There are lots of software changes we could use, but those don't call for "a new nook".
I would want three things hardware-wise:
  1. Integration of the much, much, MUCH faster Epson eInk controller. I didn't think I'd notice the difference when I moved from a Sony700 to the nook, but I do. Every day. The nook just feels sluggish by comparison -- especially when choosing one link out of many on a page (for example when there are many footnotes on one page).
  2. The new eInk Pearl really does seem to have better contrast and readability. Want!
  3. Better battery life. Vastly improved battery life! I want to be able to get 2 weeks standby time, or 24 reading hours out of a single charge. The battery life of my Sony saved me when my Pgh/Paris/Bangalore flight suddenly grew a 24-hour delay in Paris and I didn't have suitable plug-adaptors in my carry-on. (I had Indian adaptors, but...) If I'd been using my nook, I'd have been out of juice before getting on the plane for the second leg of the trip!

There're plenty of other things I want, but they fall in the "better software" realm. The three items above are the hardware issues.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #47
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
just got back from Barnes and Noble right now where I stopped at the Nook desk andchecked one out. The guy who came to give me the spiel said it was a "safe bet" that Nook 2 would come out in time for the holidays, but that he had no idea what the differences or price would be. Said they really aren't given that info since "hold out for a few months" isn't the ideal sales pitch.
Thanks for the info! Sounds like they're coming out relatively soon - I'm excited!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #48
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I have thought about this for a bit . So here is my wish list.

1. A new basic level Nook that is just an ebook reader. No WiFi and as cool as it is, no battery eating touchscreen. In other words, I want a basic eInk reader with B&N DRM (And obviously some way of unlocking the books on the device... maybe through the desktop software that would be used to load them on the device?).

2. Barring that, a way to turn the touchscreen completely off on the Nook. It is my guess that the touchscreen is responsible for the rapid battery drain on the Nook.

3. Real, multi-level folders.

The rest, faster page turns, Pearl Screen, would be nice, but are not make or break for me.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #49
mfm028
mfm028 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I know this is a little late, but here are my 2 cents.

What I want in a Nook 2

1. Version with a larger screen - I would love something to compete with the Kindle DX, but keeping the options (SD card, changeable battery) of the original Nook. I convert textbooks to PDF for school and the Nook screen is too small and since I've got 1500+ pages of pdf photos, the limited storage of the DX worries me too much to pull the trigger on one of those.
2. Pearl display - see above, would make pdf viewing sooo much better!
3. Faster eInk controller - gotta go with Xenophon on that one, the Nook just feels so sluggish compared to the other e-readers, esp the kindle DX Graphite.

Let's hope B&N gets something out soon!
mfm028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #50
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I want these features:

1- much longer battery life
2- black color option
3- card reader moved to outside edge
4- actual buttons for page turns
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #51
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I want these features:

1- much longer battery life
2- black color option
3- card reader moved to outside edge
4- actual buttons for page turns
There already are actual buttons for page turns.....
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
There already are actual buttons for page turns.....
Not the ones buried under the thin bezel that cracks, but external buttons like the Kindle.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #53
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
I want landscape mode.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #54
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
If they don't fix their absolute crap file sorting system, I will go to Kindle, especially as the versions out now cannot be softrooted.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #55
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
If they don't fix their absolute crap file sorting system, I will go to Kindle, especially as the versions out now cannot be softrooted.
As some may have seen in another thread, I lost my Nook at the airport a couple of weeks ago.

I have been tempted by the Kindle. However, every time I begin to pull the trigger, I remember their idea is to keep you locked in to Amazon and I stop myself. Never really been a zealot but I guess things change.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #56
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You are not locked into Amazon with a Kindle any more then you are locked into a B&N when you buy a Nook.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #57
JoshLessard
Enthusiast
JoshLessard began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Kindle 3???
Where, other than Amazon, can you buy Kindle books? Or are you referring to less "honest" methods?
JoshLessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #58
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Any place you can buy Non-DRmed Epubs, it is easy to convert them. Any place you can buy Mobi books. I have posted lists before.

It really isn't that hard to find.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #59
JoshLessard
Enthusiast
JoshLessard began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Kindle 3???
I find that places that sell non-DRMed ePubs and Mobi books tend to have a very poor selection.
JoshLessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #60
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Any place you can buy Non-DRmed Epubs, it is easy to convert them. Any place you can buy Mobi books. I have posted lists before.

It really isn't that hard to find.
Sigh... Yes you have. But lets be honest, but to claim you are no more locked in with the Kindle than with the Nook is a bit disingenuous.

Fact, with the Nook, you can buy from any store that sells DRM'd ePubs; that includes B&N, Borders, Kobo, Sony, Fictionwise and others.

Fact, with the Kindle, you can only buy DRM'd books from Amazon (well, you can buy them from other places, just don't expect them to work on your Kindle unless you engage in the legally questionable practice of stripping the DRM and then converting).

Now, Baen, Fictionwise, Smashwords and a few other places do sell books without DRM. These books can be read on any reader (though in some cases conversion may be necessary). Most of these books, however, are not going to be the books that show up on the NY Times best seller list (barring perhaps a New Honor Harrington novel).

So, if your interest in an ebook reader is to buy the latest James Patterson or Dan Brown Novel and you own a Kindle, you are pretty much limited to Amazon.

Now, that being said, if you had to be tied to a single book store, the Kindle is probably the one to be tied to. The prices are generally as good as or better than those offered by anyone else and their selection of new books is probably also the best.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote