Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

View Poll Results: Pick three options for next firmware upgrade 5&6 inch
Add CoolReader, without severe battery drain! 55 76.39%
Latest version of FB2 31 43.06%
IF possible, keep Visible Clock Set when device off 16 22.22%
LIT is still not right, can you please get LIT to work 27 37.50%
Add Dictionary Support! 32 44.44%
Other (detailed below in post). 21 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2010, 04:06 AM   #61
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

Thank you. I am seeing some decent voting and I am seeing some good thoughts on "other" ideas.

My understanding from the factory is that lBook does their own firmware upgrades and has this right from the factory. The factory does not need to invest engineers in the effort and some of the info helps the factory.

The Program Manager will look at the results and read the comments and then submit to the factory what needs to be done.

Yes, we (and the factory) do pay for ADE and have to pay a yearly fee also. I believe that the yearly fees covers all upgrades and improvements so I do not think thatis extra cost.

Bob
Robert, indeed please make sure the Program manager reads more than just "X number of people voted for each of these poll options". As you say, he needs to look at the posts in this thread in detail.

I know the "other" voting wasn't as high as I'd have expected, but I DO think that's misleading. I think if you actually look through the thread, at the actual posts, that a lot more people were thinking "other" than is obvious from the straight poll results (because you can post and chime in about something not in the poll choices without actually voting in the poll---and I bet a lot of people did that).

Last edited by Spiffy; 07-07-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #62
alroy
Enthusiast
alroy began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Opus/Pocket Pro/eSlick/Libre Pro
There really is no need for a delete function. Deleting books can be done through Calbre. However, I would like the option of turning reflow on or off when reading PDF books.
alroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #63
ashdragon
ashdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader 5" Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by alroy View Post
There really is no need for a delete function. Deleting books can be done through Calbre. However, I would like the option of turning reflow on or off when reading PDF books.
That assumes everyone uses Calibre to manage their libraries, which i assure you is NOT the case. You can delete the books from within windows too but being able to do basic library management from the device itself will be a big step forward.
ashdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #64
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
There really is no need for a delete function. Deleting books can be done through Calbre.
Only by people who use Calibre, and then only when they have a connection to Calibre. The Delete and Copy functions in the Bookshelf are very handy, and the alternate function of the Open command to avoid opening an EPUB in ADE is priceless.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #65
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Being able to delete a particular (unwanted) entry when it is found is lots better than hooking up the cable, scrolling through 100's of folders.
, Hmmm. "Is this the one?"

, ,
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #66
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
I see several people have already chimed in here, but I'll put in my 2 cents. I would really like to see a delete option. If I start reading a book that I decide really doesn't interest me, it would be much easier to just delete it from my Pocket Pro then and there, rather than leaving it on for the next time I connect it to my computer. I can go several weeks between hooking up to my computer, and although I do use calibre, I'd rather not have to hook up just to delete a book. Also, I read a lot of fan fiction. Some of it is really good - others... not so much. Sometimes the grammar is just so terrible, I can't get through more than a few pages. So it would be helpful to just delete it, and go on to the next story. An alternative to this (although I would think delete would be much easier) would be to have the ability to move the file to a directory of my choice, then just delete everything in that directory next time I connect to my computer. But deleting the file would be much simpler.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #67
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdragon View Post
That assumes everyone uses Calibre to manage their libraries, which i assure you is NOT the case. You can delete the books from within windows too but being able to do basic library management from the device itself will be a big step forward.
It also creates a need to be connected, in a case where you shouldn't really HAVE to be for so simple a task.

Part of the rationale of e-ink devices is how long you can use it in isolation. Its why its such a big deal that the battery lasts so long. Therefore its kind of silly to insist that trucking on home, powering up your PC, and hooking the device up should be necessary to do something as simple as BASIC file maintenance.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #68
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
PM: look at the responses and not just poll or die!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
Robert, indeed please make sure the Program manager reads more than just "X number of people voted for each of these poll options". As you say, he needs to look at the posts in this thread in detail.

I know the "other" voting wasn't as high as I'd have expected, but I DO think that's misleading. I think if you actually look through the thread, at the actual posts, that a lot more people were thinking "other" than is obvious from the straight poll results (because you can post and chime in about something not in the poll choices without actually voting in the poll---and I bet a lot of people did that).
Dear Spiffy:

Yes, yes, yes!! You are right. It is too easy for him to just look at the poll. I will ensure that at least Typography and Delete Function and latest ADE are brought to his attention!

Personally, I have been doing this forum now for almost two years (since when it was one thread for the first year and more). I will admitthat one thing always mentioned was a "delete" function on the device. It has not been shoutwed out or anything... but it is persistant. I think it is time we look into adding that. I will admit I know nothing about typography but the people wanting it are top-line people on this forum and I trust them. JS Wolf really knows the technical side of this and I trust him!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As long as there is going to be a firmware update, can there be a hardware update to use the new eink screens?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #70
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As long as there is going to be a firmware update, can there be a hardware update to use the new eink screens?
Are you planning on retrofitting a display?

The factory ships with the original FW, Users update that at home.
(ECO's cost money. Even if it is only the SW load on the chip. There needs to be a new stock number. Test procedures must be updated to include new values of part ID and other parameter changes. Cheaper to do it this way )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #71
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
I see several people have already chimed in here, but I'll put in my 2 cents. I would really like to see a delete option. If I start reading a book that I decide really doesn't interest me, it would be much easier to just delete it from my Pocket Pro then and there, rather than leaving it on for the next time I connect it to my computer. I can go several weeks between hooking up to my computer, and although I do use calibre, I'd rather not have to hook up just to delete a book. Also, I read a lot of fan fiction. Some of it is really good - others... not so much. Sometimes the grammar is just so terrible, I can't get through more than a few pages. So it would be helpful to just delete it, and go on to the next story. An alternative to this (although I would think delete would be much easier) would be to have the ability to move the file to a directory of my choice, then just delete everything in that directory next time I connect to my computer. But deleting the file would be much simpler.
I completely agree with this! I'm getting a reader for academic purposes, but I will also use it for fan fiction in my free time. I would definitely want an option to delete stories I don't like as I come across them.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #72
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Are you planning on retrofitting a display?

The factory ships with the original FW, Users update that at home.
(ECO's cost money. Even if it is only the SW load on the chip. There needs to be a new stock number. Test procedures must be updated to include new values of part ID and other parameter changes. Cheaper to do it this way )
Certainly true. A hardware upgrade is not feasible. It would be a new product for sale. They did a hardware upgrade and it is called the V3+
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #73
LJ Miehe
Empirical Philosopher
LJ Miehe doesn't litterLJ Miehe doesn't litterLJ Miehe doesn't litter

Device: Astak EZ Reader (6")
Here is what I would like:

Text to Speech

Dictionary

Ability to mark a book as read, unreading or reading

Ability to tell me how many pages the book is in the current default zoom

A update application via USB for OSX and Windows 7 to load updates. It is still hit and miss with memory cards
LJ Miehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #74
cynthia399
cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cynthia399 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Astak Mentor
What I want most for my Mentor Lite is the ability to search for books. If you have many books on your device it is a pain to get to the one you want since you have to click thru page after page until you get to the book. It would be so much better if I could just search by title or author.
cynthia399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #75
binbinbook
binbinbook began at the beginning.

Device: pp
1. Option for closing the clock to save power.
2. Accurate page number display for .txt files.
3. Book title in status bar.

Last edited by binbinbook; 07-12-2010 at 10:46 PM.
binbinbook is offline   Reply With Quote