Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2006, 07:23 AM   #61
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
I find another bug, i think that when i put the ipdf5, all the test is panned to the left, i i'm viewing a manga in pdf, and i see that it not centered,...(with the ipdf from irex is centered...)

i don't know why, and i'm not blaming you, only saying it.

the next week, i will try to do a little test about the toolchain and begin to port the eye of gnome, or you preffer another viewing tool...

thanks to all
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:12 AM   #62
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
[EDIT Nov 20th: posted a better 0.4 version]
version 0.3
Ok, state of the art is to run shell scripts with the help of manifest.xml.
The pros are clear: users get a title, a description, & icon in contentlister. [Have a look at attached photos].

changes from 0.2-0.3
  • usage of manifest.xml [->2 complete different entries for installation & de~]
  • back-up of iRex's viewer is copied from USB drive [previous versions: /usr/bin/ipdf.orig]
Precautions when you update from older versions 0.1 & 0.2 or change ipdf version [version 4 & 5 are attached]
Please delete the old pdfviewers or pdf_viewers directionary of the previous pdfviewers##.zip, then extract choosed zip file.
What do I need?
# iRex's .sh ids download [firmware 2.7.1]
# or [SHELL] hack installed [firmware 2.7.0]
What do I have to do?
[1] Download the zip file you want.
[2] Connect iLiad with USB cable.
[3] Extract content of choosed zip-file to the newspapers folder of iLiad's USB drive.
[4] Disconnet iLiad USB cable ["Connected to PC..." logo is gone]. You can use the iLiad again.
[5] Press iLiad's "news" button.
[6] Choose I_have_271.sh if you have firmware 2.7.1.
[7] Contentlister gets updated. Click on the new entry »Do you want install ipdfx?«.
[9] Green Lamp blinks. It only takes few seconds. Blinking stops. Screen get's refreshed. This it was. [no reboot needed]

@ scotty: "export OS_VER=`cat /etc/er_version_commercial" I will think about it. ;-)

good to know: zooming & panning isn't correctly working, ipdf4 doesn't save last page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01_install.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	2216   Click image for larger version

Name:	02_deinstall.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	2217  
Attached Files
File Type: zip pdf_viewers_ipdf5_0.3.zip (49.1 KB, 333 views)
File Type: zip pdf_viewers_ipdf4_0.3.zip (47.7 KB, 319 views)

Last edited by yokos; 11-20-2006 at 11:15 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2006, 10:04 AM   #63
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Actually version 4 saves the last page, I used it quite a bit, but it appears that under 2.7.1 it isn't.

Centering isn't a "bug" its a personal preference. I didn't like the pages centered because with some PDF's the odd/even pages would have different widths/heights and would dance sideways or up/down on the screen as you flipped between the pages. So I pinned them into the upper left.

I also didn't like the black border iRex drew around the pages.

The centering seems popular so I'm putting it back.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:37 AM   #64
DrBibber
Iliad geek
DrBibber began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Hi, is there a step by step guideline how to do this:
# iRex's .sh ids download [firmware 2.7.1]?

Got it :-) Sometimes I need some more time ;-)

Last edited by DrBibber; 11-18-2006 at 11:59 AM.
DrBibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:40 PM   #65
rmaks
rmaks has learned how to buy an e-book online

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
new version 0.3
Ok, state of the art is to run shell scripts with the help of manifest.xml.
The pros are clear: users get a title, a description, & icon in contentlister. [Have a look at attached photos].
Very very nice, thank you!
rmaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2006, 07:14 AM   #66
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I was seeing the install script and i think, that we can do it better, it's only a think i can't tested becuase i don't have near my irex, my mom is reading...

but well i see that we need to put the installer in the news because you do a
cp /news/ to ...

i think that if we put a cp 'pwd' to the ipdf, we can put the installer anywhere
this way we can put the installer in a usb/cf/mmc

please replys....
Old 11-19-2006, 07:45 AM   #67
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

@kapoira

You can't use pwd to figure out where a script lives because ContentLister uses absolute paths to execute the scripts. The current working directory is often set to / when the script is run.

If you look at run.sh in one of the binary apps (x48, gnuchess...) you'll see one method to lookup where a script is being executed from.

The script is being placed in news to make it easily accessible by pressing the news button on the iLiad.

I feel Yokos has done very well at making this script accessible to non-unix-admin users. The intent of the script is to be extremely easy to understand and use, not to be flexible in where it can be executed from. Your "Average Joe" user is happy to be told exactly where to put the script to use it and can get baffled if the instructions say things like "Now go where you put the script..."
Old 11-19-2006, 07:48 AM   #68
kapoira
Connoisseur

thanks for the fast reply, and ok, i have used the terminal to install-it because i have put it in my SD, and not in the news folder, but yes this isn't for average joe.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:48 AM   #69
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoira
thanks for the fast reply, and ok, i have used the terminal to install-it because i have put it in my SD, and not in the news folder, but yes this isn't for average joe.
Sounds good!

Just remember, there is no way to easily restore your iLiad if you break anything, so please be careful.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:22 AM   #70
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Ok, I changed scripts again [not posted yet]; shell scripts are now path [to which they are copied to] independent.
By the way I changed xml files because a to was missing in »Do you want install ipdfx?«. Yes, English isn't my mother tongue.

@ scotty. thanks for inspiration of export scriptdir=`/usr/bin/dirname $0`. Usage of export should be optional for my scripts, because they don't start a 2nd script or a binary. Right?

Last edited by yokos; 11-20-2006 at 07:55 AM. Reason: optional=!obsolete
Old 11-20-2006, 08:26 AM   #71
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
good work Yokos!

Now the question is...why isn't the Scotty-PDF viewer working properly in 2.7.1?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:16 AM   #72
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Now the question is...why isn't the Scotty-PDF viewer working properly in 2.7.1?
Has he published his patches anywhere so anyone else can take a look...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:57 AM   #73
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.

[EDIT 12.08.06] If you have firmware 2.8, you can't use this script!
step-to-step guide to install ipdf5 & ipdf4
This the latest version 0.41 [maybe a final version]
Sorry for consistently posting a new version. With every step I have learned something new & it were integrated in the shell scripts.
What's new:
[1] shell script is path independent.
[2] User doesn't need to choose the right firmware anymore, because shell script does it for you.
[3] v0.41: script optimization [for instance user's interaction "Click for firmware test" was removed]; ipdf5 & ipdf4 scripts got there own directionary names -> you can run both scripts in newspapers folder, therefore only one zip-file as download.

Precautions when you update from older versions 0.1-0.3
Please delete the old pdfviewers or pdf_viewers directionaries of the previous pdfviewers##.zip, then extract choosed zip file.
What do I need?
# firmware 2.7.1: iRex's shell update iDS download [without this it won't work!] [more information here]
# or firmware 2.7.0: [SHELL] hack installed.
What do I have to do?
[1] Download the zip file.
[2] Connect iLiad with USB cable.
[3] Extract content of choosed zip-file to the newspapers folder of iLiad's USB drive.
[4] Disconnet iLiad USB cable ["Connected to PC..." logo is gone]. You can use the iLiad again.
[5] Press iLiad's "news" button.
[6] Click on the entry »Do you want to install ipdf5?« or »Do you want to install ipdf4?«.
[7] Green Lamp blinks. It only takes few seconds. Blinking stops. Screen get's refreshed. This it was. [no reboot needed]
Can I reinstall iRex's pdf viewer?
Yep.
[1] Press iLiad's "news" button.
[2] Click on "Do you want to reinstall iRex's pdf viewer?"
I don't like the newspapers folder. What now?
Thanks to the new feature of 0.4 you can copy the content of zip-file to any folder [USB drive, CF, & MMC], you have access to in Contentlister. I recommend to use one of the dirs of iLad's USB drive, because then you have always a easy access to it, especially if you have several memory cards.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ipdf5_ipdf4_0.41.zip (96.2 KB, 395 views)

Last edited by yokos; 12-08-2006 at 05:56 AM. Reason: firmware 2.8
Old 11-20-2006, 12:43 PM   #74
scotty1024
Banned

You are making excellent progress Yokos! I appreciate your diligence in upgrading these scripts very much and it has been a big help to everyone here.

I wish I was making as much progress as you are...

The product license I ordered from Programmer's Paradise didn't arrive via email until this morning, I remember when you used to be able to count on them, oh well... Worse, the promised version wasn't delivered and now I'm going round and round to get the one that will work with the iLiad. So no Poppler enhancements yet.

The Bluetooth also ran me round and round and finally it turns out my D-Link adaptor had been "Mac-ified" and no longer works with Linux. I vaguely recall a popup panel from Apple at some point in the past warning me they were doing that to it...

The new un-macified dongle is on the UPS truck for delivery today.

The not saving last viewed page issue in ipdf is a crash on exit. iRex and I exchanged a couple emails about it before and I'd chased it with gdb but the issue looks like a concurrency problem during shutdown. Another process comes in and causes a stack corruption to the primary ipdf process. I've heard nothing more about it from iRex.

To find the ipdf issue it is looking like I'll have to get out the JTAG debugger but nothing new from iRex this morning. They still haven't given permission to open my iLiad to hook up the JTAG probe. I'm guessing they're still busy deciding what they want to do. And probably waiting to hear what I have to say about the kernel.

All I can say is: I understand why deep sleep has eluded them, what a mess... playing with the kernel this weekend was no fun. I have several working loadable modules that I will be releasing shortly but what a mess...

About the only thing that went right this weekend was my upgrade to a new development system. I went from a Macbook Pro with 2GHz Core Duo to a Macbook Pro with 2.3GHz Core 2 Duo. This has boosted kernel/package compilation speed very nicely.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #75
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Nice to hear even you can't manage everything without hitting stumbling blocks along the way...

I hope iRex manages to let their pride down long enough to give you the material and information you need...good luck and happy hacking!
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote