Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #46
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Just got my replacement today at 10:20am. Yey!! Love it! Thanks to the tech and Bob for the help, really appreciate it.

The leather case is different. The inside lining is color gray instead of cream, the embose name on the front is not too pronounce like the first one. And it just feels like the first case is thicker, more padded than this. I don't know if it's bec of the darker color that made it slimmer or not, all I care is that as long as this protects my EZ reader, it's great!

The feel of the EZ reader is not too rubberize. Though the rubberize feel is still there it's just more solid/plain feeling compare to before. You know what I mean?

It's charging right now so I can't say the functionality of syncing it to ADE, Calibre, borrowing books to library etc. yet. But I'm so excited to try it out now. Got to be patient.....
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #47
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Very cool! I'm happy you got your new reader! It's so hard to be patient... I'm trying to decide if I need to send mine in, or just keep it, because I don't want to be without it! But the wrinkling is getting worse... although it's just cosmetic, and the reader works great, so it's a tough decision. And it's not terrible... decisions, decisions!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #48
diokdin
Groupie

^Oh I know what you're going thru. That's what I thought too. The reader works great and as long as it works the peeling is just the outside, not the functionality of the reader. That's why it took a while for me to post the pics here bec I was still reading even if the paint is peeling. When I got around to it, Bob suggested to call the tech for a replacement. And I was thinking if I send it in I wont have my EZ reader with me(I was going out of my mind while it was in transit, I've been pestering Bob and the tech support if they have it yet Hehe), it doesnt help that my husband is teasing me about it too. Like once it arrive there's another thing that's wrong with it and I have to send it back again etc, etc...(I pray not) Am happy now that it's here and I have to test it after it finished charging. When I turn it on it got only 2 bars left.

I know it's tough but once you got it back you'll be happy.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #49
diokdin
Groupie

Hmmm... After a while of having my replacement PPro it seems like my old one text content is much sharper and darker compare to the one I have now. It's readable but you can tell the edges of the letters have some smudges/blures.

Is it just me or do other experience this too?
Old 04-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #50
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Maybe you had changed to a better font on the old one. Have you done the same on this new one? Certain fonts look paler and less sharp, and the default Times Roman is notorious for this!
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #51
rxsz
Connoisseur
rxsz began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
contrast, sharpness

Quote:
Originally Posted by diokdin View Post
Hmmm... After a while of having my replacement PPro it seems like my old one text content is much sharper and darker compare to the one I have now. It's readable but you can tell the edges of the letters have some smudges/blures.

Is it just me or do other experience this too?
You too?

I had this happen to me, but I opted not to post as it might become a bigger problem for Astak than paint peeling.

Luckily my situation was the opposite of yours.

My original PP was slightly fuzzy with the characters and lower in contrast. But hey, what do I know? I just thought that was what e-Ink at this stage was like. Tolerate due to ignorance.

At first turn on of the replacement, WOW! It was so very apparent! Characters were sharp and contrast was much much better.

Okay, so it could have been a different system font. Nope. Exact same system font. At that time CoolReader3 wasn't available, so didn't know how to change fonts within files. But checking the same file, same page, it showed the same font family and size. And again so apparent a difference that a sane person would agree it wasn't an imagination.

Charged both fully to eliminate any difference that voltage level might cause.

In summary, I kept my replacement, with the older serial number! and was thrilled. When the paint started peeling a week later, there was absolutely no way I was going to send it in and perhaps by chance or otherwise, get one that might have less contrasty/sharp text.

Forget all the niceties that different firmwares offer. What is of paramount importance in an ereader is the text display characteristics. Just too bad that PPs aren't sold in more physical stores.

Yes, I love my PP. And a zillion times more, now that I have a much better display!

As an aside, I have settled on this font and it is as black as a Sharpie line. Franklin Gothic Medium. 34 point. Normal weight.
rxsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #52
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
For those of you who have sent yours back when the paint peels, how bad was it before you decided to send it back? I'm still uncertain if I want to bother, or just keep it with the peeling paint. It works great other than that, and the paint isn't peeling terribly... Actually, it hasn't really peeled at all. It's just wrinkling around some of the edges, and the buttons. It has gotten worse since I first noticed it, about the middle of last month. But it's not detracting from the reading experience, so I don't know if it's worth sending back. And again, it's not terrible... but I am a little hesitant to show it to people, because I don't want them to see it and think, "wow, she's only had it a couple months and the paint is wrinkling," and prevent them from getting one... you know?
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #53
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I think this whole idea of putting a coating on the plastic was a very bad idea for Astak - nice as it feels.

Let me explain first that mine is supposed to be from the 'fixed' shipment, despite having the older cream lined case.

Mine is missing some coating on the rear left hand edge. The edge is quite sharp, so at first I thought it might be just worn, then I realised that it is NOT where my hand holds the book normally while reading. Then looking closer I see that it has come away in a rough manner - not consistent with wear. It looks like the coating has not stuck properly along the sharp edge.

However, it is not worth sending it on a long trip across the pacific to get a new one. Not yet anyway. The problem is on the back and not too visible - yet.

Why oh why didn't they just stay with the nice plastic underneath for the white ones. The rubbery coating get's dirtier than the smooth plastic anyway. Where mine is worn, a nice bright clean white plastic is showing through. I think it was 'theducks' that has scraped one of his clean. I might eventually do the same.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #54
rxsz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Well, I think this whole idea of putting a coating on the plastic was a very bad idea for Astak - nice as it feels.

Where mine is worn, a nice bright clean white plastic is showing through. I think it was 'theducks' that has scraped one of his clean. I might eventually do the same.
Well, the problem is then you have a glossy reflective shell. Very distracting when reading. Next project is to look for matte fingernail polish for touch ups. Mine is a black case.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #55
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsz View Post
Well, the problem is then you have a glossy reflective shell. Very distracting when reading. Next project is to look for matte fingernail polish for touch ups. Mine is a black case.
I don't even notice the Gloss (Slate Blue) except it shows finger smudges
I did leave the slant at the screen with the coating (since it did not peel).
Most of the number buttons are unreadabl (worn), No attows show on the Page turn.
The OK, Return are still coated.

Very good screen contrast. Another reaso NOT to exchange

My Precious
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #56
diokdin
Groupie

Hmmm...so it's not just me. I never did anything with the fonts on my old one. I've only use the default or the systems fonts that already there. It's only now that I tried putting different fonts and trying it out. The old PPro text I've got was very sharp as I said and darker too. (I love the text on my old one) Will using a different font helps? I tried Verdana, it's very good. But it doesn't change the PDF and epub files. What other fonts you could recommend that will change the fonts of PDFs and ePubs. If PDFs are not possible, how about the ePubs?
Old 04-17-2010, 02:42 AM   #57
rxsz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Hmmm...so it's not just me. I never did anything with the fonts on my old one. I've only use the default or the systems fonts that already there. It's only now that I tried putting different fonts and trying it out. The old PPro text I've got was very sharp as I said and darker too. (I love the text on my old one) Will using a different font helps? I tried Verdana, it's very good. But it doesn't change the PDF and epub files. What other fonts you could recommend that will change the fonts of PDFs and ePubs. If PDFs are not possible, how about the ePubs?
impossible, at least for me, to change fonts in .pdfs.

since using calibre to convert epub to .rtf only takes a few minutes, when measured against the many hours of reading that book, I always convert to .rtf. Though I find that .fb2 also allows PP to change fonts. I stay with .rtf though.

sorry, forgot whether it works with epubs.

I have settled on this font and it is as black as a Sharpie line. Franklin Gothic Medium. 34 point. Normal weight.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:58 AM   #58
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsz View Post

sorry, forgot whether it works with epubs.

Yes it does. Coolreader will read ePubs, AND allow you to set how it looks, provided you change a couple of settings to tell it not to use the preformatted text and embedded styles of the document.

Of course, the other way is to edit the .css style sheet inside the ePub (Calibre can do this automatically, there's a thread around here telling how)
Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #59
diokdin
Groupie

Ok, thank you all.

Where will I find that thread? Can you gave me a link? I don't know anything about .css style sheet or Coolreader.

Thank you!
Old 04-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #60
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I am very happy for you!!

Quote:
Just got my replacement today at 10:20am. Yey!! Love it! Thanks to the tech and Bob for the help, really appreciate it.

The leather case is different. The inside lining is color gray instead of cream, the embose name on the front is not too pronounce like the first one. And it just feels like the first case is thicker, more padded than this. I don't know if it's bec of the darker color that made it slimmer or not, all I care is that as long as this protects my EZ reader, it's great!

The feel of the EZ reader is not too rubberize. Though the rubberize feel is still there it's just more solid/plain feeling compare to before. You know what I mean?

It's charging right now so I can't say the functionality of syncing it to ADE, Calibre, borrowing books to library etc. yet. But I'm so excited to try it out now. Got to be patient.....
Dear Diokdin:

I am very happy I could help a bit in getting you all set up. Yes, the grey liner on the case is the newest one and does not interact with the paint. Yes, the paint is different also and does feel much more solid and nice.

Be very patient on charging. Charge for about two hours MORE after it gets to "green" on the light. Green just means it is the "start of full" and not as "full" as it can get!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote