Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
wiggyboy
wiggyboy began at the beginning.

Device: prs300
need help

I have loaded epub files from pendrive but when synced to prs300 there are ?
in the middle of words anyone know how to fix this.

cheers
wiggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Any pattern to them? Do they correspond to accented characters, or other things that may not exist in some fonts as opposed to others? Is the ePub DRMed? Can you look at the HTML code involved? Does it appear OK in the Sony Reader software and/or Adobe Digital Editions on your computer?
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 04:16 AM   #3
wiggyboy

Need help

Thank you for your reply.When I look at the files in the library they are ok.I am sorry but I do not know how to check html and drm settings.The question mark appears in the middle of words and there appears no set routine as they are after or before lots of different letters.

Thanks again
Old 01-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Where and how did you acquire these ePub files? Did you buy them, or did you download them on a site offering free ebooks?

If the former, they're probably DRMed, but in that case, I'd complain to whoever sold you the book.

If the latter, then you can rename the file from .epub to .zip, and open it as a zip file and see the HTML inside.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If they are "extra" characters in the middle of words, they could well be "soft hyphens", which are being incorrectly rendered by the font on the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
wiggyboy

need help

thanks for your help ,I got the files from a guy in work.I will get my own in future.What do you think is the best format for the e-reader as I have just bought the prs300.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Yeah, I think HarryT's got the answer, it sounds a lot like soft-hyphens that have been improperly encoded by someone who was trying to convert a file but didn't know what he was doing.

The best format is ePub, you can buy books in epub format from Waterstones or WH Smith in the UK. You can also get them from many US stores (BooksOnBoard, Fictionwise, Baen etc) though they may have geographical restrictions on some of their offerings.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote