Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Sony being unhelpful - again

I sent Sony an email asking a few questions about the new 900 due to come out. I wanted to know if it will come in any other colour besides black, if the main menu screen is the same as with the 600 and if it has a light built in. Not overly hard questions I would think. So here is their answer.

"Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for shopping Sony Style!

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regarding your request, we are not train to answer those questions that is why I am referring you to the right department for a quick answer or response.

Thank you for choosing Sony Style!

Jeff"

their response was to go into a Sony store and ask them

Natalie

Last edited by nwinter; 11-20-2009 at 12:35 AM.
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We know that it doesn't have a light, so that's an easy one to answer! As far as the menu is concerned, there was a post a few days ago saying that the manuals are available for it, so you could download that and see.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 03:28 AM   #3
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

But that is not the point. Surely the company that wants us to pay them $400 should know what is in their product - shouldn't they?

natalie
Old 11-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
But that is not the point. Surely the company that wants us to pay them $400 should know what is in their product - shouldn't they?

natalie
At least they gave you an honest answer: that they didn't know.

Why do you expect a CS representative to know something about a product that is only a minor part Sony's catalogue and is not even released yet?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
PRS-900 specifications

* Display: 7 inch. touch-screen
* Resolution: Unknown
* Gray scale: 16-levels gray scale
* Internal Memory: 512MB, 380MB accessible
* Expanded Memory: Support for Sony Memory Stick Pro DUO and SDHC
* Font Size: 5 adjustable font sizes
* Battery: Sealed internal, up to two weeks of reading on a single charge
* Wireless: AT&T 3G wireless (free), access to eBook store only, no web browser
* MSRP: US$399
* Available case colors:
o PRS-900: Black

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Re...specifications
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can see the available colors on the main Reader page at SonyStyle.com (small icons below the device images).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
You can see the available colors on the main Reader page at SonyStyle.com (small icons below the device images).
Really if you follow his link and click on the reader model itself, you see that so far it only comes in Black. The front page is slightly different from the PRS 600.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
nwinter
Zealot

Thanks for the information everyone. I know that it comes in black and my question to him ( to make it more specific here) was will it be coming out in any other colours in the future. Again, that is not the reason for the post. As an ex sale rep who worked in a company very similar to Sony I had to know my product and sell my product. If I did not know the answer we had find out the answer from the right department ( or get the department to) and get back to the customer.

A better choice of answer would have been something like " we dont know at this stage" or something similar which anyone would be happy with. Am I truly alone in that I think that a company who is trying to sell something should try to answer the questions I ask and not make me jump in a car and drive to a store to ask the same question? come on!

While yes i do appreciate it is a very small part of the Sony corp - the money they are asking for the reader exceeds the price on some of their top selling TV's and there would be a reader department that would be able to answer ebook questions. Given also that the reader is very much a "add on" product figure out your yearly books sales and how many books you buy a year. I bought over 40 books from Sony in one year so that means that my one small reader has in fact added 41 sales to the company ( etc). Another way to look at it ( which I am sure Sony have already) is that the average book worm with a Sony reader will actually end up spending as much in one year that a normal house does in 10 years.

As I said a little customer service would have gone a long way. I will seriously look at the Kindle now as they have been really helpful.

Natalie
Old 11-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
nwinter
Zealot

Irony - I get an email asking me to take a customer satisfaction survey which I did. One of the questions was "do you think the operator knew his product well enough to assist your enquiry". Just as I thought, the way the survey was worded Sony expect there customer care section to be able to answer all questions. So their is a major breakdown somewhere in the company if they cant answer questions on their own products.

After a lot of thought I am going a Kindle DX and that way I can have both.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think it's reasonable to expect that a customer service rep. should know the answers to most question regarding the products sold by their company. But I think it would be above what is required for the customer rep to answer questions regarding a product that isn't out yet. However, if he or she took the time to try to find the answer, that would definitely improve the happiness of the consumer.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
their response was to go into a Sony store and ask them
That's funny, when I was having problems with the ELB Ver 3.0 I went to my local Sony Style store, great bunch of guys, but none of them had a clue, "oh no, there are no problems with the software". This was months ago. I joined Mobile Read and found out the real answers. The point being if the Sony Style guys want to be on top of the ereader game they should become mobile read member (thats what I suggested)

Regards, Daryl
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote