Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #541
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Angry

I just wish they'd make it more obvious about the credit card thing. What the heck do you do if you don't have a credit card? Ok so its geo restricted and I shouldn't really be trying to buy it - but frustrating as it is, I'd rather have the Amazon Kindle/Diesel approach of checking your IP and deciding you can't even buy something before taking your money and then saying you can't download it.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:40 AM   #542
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
The second check only seems to be on certain books. Downloading from a US IP seems to remove it once you download it for the first time.
No. I've books already downloaded that I can't download still unless I spoof my IP.

anca, you're not the only one who is angry. I've dumped FW after finding out 99% of the books I'd like to have is restricted. And that after a very long membership.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 06:29 AM   #543
uhoo
uhoo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
Has Fictionwise tightened their restrictions or has their access system just gone totally nuts? I can't even purchase any books now, even though my IP address *is* in the US. I just get the "Your purchase location does not match the address on your account." error.

I've even tried spoofing my IP address so that it looks like I'm connecting from different states/countries but nothing works. Are they seriously trying to identify IP address locations down to street level accuracy??
uhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #544
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I can buy from FW with my local address, ip and credit card.

I just bought a magazine.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:56 AM   #545
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoo View Post
Has Fictionwise tightened their restrictions or has their access system just gone totally nuts? I can't even purchase any books now, even though my IP address *is* in the US. I just get the "Your purchase location does not match the address on your account." error.

I've even tried spoofing my IP address so that it looks like I'm connecting from different states/countries but nothing works. Are they seriously trying to identify IP address locations down to street level accuracy??
I managed to buy (some DRMed PDB files), but I was then unable to download them, as it seems they now check that the country of the CC is 'right' and matches what you've told them, even though there are no charges to the CC.

It does seem that Fictionwise's regional restrictions, at least for DRMed files, is now unbeatable. If anyone knows a way around it, please PM me!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 07:04 AM   #546
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Add an US address to your credit card, and use it with VPN. Use Borderlinx for the address. SecurityKISS is a good, free VPN.

But I can still buy anything I like. Don't know why...
Old 12-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #547
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Add an US address to your credit card
I think this is the tricky point. I don't think my CC provider will do this.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #548
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I don't think my CC provider will do this.
From the US, I use an Entropay virtual credit card to buy UK ebooks. They charge 5% up front as a fee, but they never give out personal info to a retailer. Entropay is a UK company, but I don't think VISA cares. So this card should work in the US with a bogus US address.

Note that sales taxes are assessed by every state except Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon. So these are good states to use for your US address (Agency ebooks now get state sales tax added to the selling price).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #549
GERGE
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think this is the tricky point. I don't think my CC provider will do this.
They do. Don't go to your bank. Do it on the internet, easier that way. And the address you take from the Borderlinx belongs to you after all. You can also show hotel rooms on your credit card. As long as you have one verified place (I don't know the english word, legal residence maybe) and you pay your balance , they do not really care about the other addresses.

I did it with my old bank and the new one. And I use borderlinxed credit cards on B&N, Waterstone's and Border's.

But I still can't understand why Fictionwise accepts my Turkish address.