Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 10:44 PM   #91
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Same issue ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryy View Post
I was hopeful when savory-image.ext3 (savory-image-2009-04-10.zip) seemed to install successfully using update_Savory-0.06.bin following the instructions on Jesse Vincent's Savory page. I did the update, the Kindle 2 [firmware 2.0.3 (327610024)] restarted, and it now shows "UNSUPPORTED SAVORY-0.06" along the bottom of the screen on the Settings page.
That's normal.. When you install Savory 0.06 it changes the version number to show that.

Quote:
But I dragged three PDF files into the "documents" folder, unmounted and unplugged from USB, restarted the Kindle, and waited. And waited, and waited, and waited. About 7 1/2 hours later, there was still no hint that the PDF documents were present or that Savory was doing anything. I connected back up to the computer and the PDF files are still sitting there, but there are no correspondingly titled converted (or converting) files.
Which version of the Kindle are you using ?

Make sure you are using the latest .ext3 file ; the first release wasn't working properly..

Also, after unmounting the Kindle from your PC, you *must* disconnect the USB cable ; that's how the Savory daemon knows how to start scanning the documents folder for new files

I have adapted Savory to work on the Kindle 2 International, as well as rewrote the installer/uninstaller
It's available there http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/Savory-0.07.tar.gz
, (for Kindle 2, Kinder 2i and Kindle DX) note that I have only tried on the Kindle 2i ; but as there's pretty much no difference between all Kindke you should be fine..
Edit: I've renamed the .ex3 file to match the version number of Savory , so you will need to copy the new 90MB file again on your Kindle. You can delete the previous savory-image.ext3 with version 0.07

With the new installer, you can install over an existing Kindle with Savory already there and it will update fine (things the previous installer couldn't do)

Quote:
When people say Savory takes a long time to do a conversion, umm, how long is long? And do you see any intermediate folders or files if you browse the Kindle while it's working? I'd like to know if Savory is doing *anything*. Also, if anyone has any hints about how to get Savory working, and why it's not for me, I'd really appreciate hearing them. I have to read a lot of technical papers / journal articles, and am desperate to get them on my Kindle. Thanks for any help!
The conversion process is quite slow ; in my experience, even a small PDF takes 2-3 minutes to be converted.

However, should the Savory daemon work properly, seeing new files in the documents folder should be almost instantenous, and you get immediate visual confirmation that the conversion process has started as instantly you get a new entry in the list showing what's happening.

Last edited by jyavenard; 10-31-2009 at 11:41 PM.
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #92
heydi
heydi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I install the Savory 0.07 to my kindle 2i and also copy the savory-image-007.ext3 file to the system folder. Copy a small 140K PDF to the documents folder. Unmount and unplug the USB cable. After 12 hours, still don't see any pdf files show up on the screen.. Is there any way to see if the deamon is working properly?
heydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #93
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydi View Post
I install the Savory 0.07 to my kindle 2i and also copy the savory-image-007.ext3 file to the system folder. Copy a small 140K PDF to the documents folder. Unmount and unplug the USB cable. After 12 hours, still don't see any pdf files show up on the screen.. Is there any way to see if the deamon is working properly?
when you go into "Settings" does it show the "+ savory 0.0.7" ?

Did you install the ext3 image after installing the Savory package or before?
If after, you must reboot the machine for savory to start
Old 11-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #94
heydi
heydi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
when you go into "Settings" does it show the "+ savory 0.0.7" ?

Did you install the ext3 image after installing the Savory package or before?
If after, you must reboot the machine for savory to start
yes, it shows +UFH 0.2 + Savory 0.07 which means the savory is installed

I copy the ext3 image file before. And i reboot the book serval times but still no luck
heydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #95
larryy
larryy began at the beginning.

Help! I had installed the latest Savory 0.06 (from savory-image-2009-04-10.zip, not the very new 0.07). I tried to uninstall it using the provided update_RemoveSavory-0.06.bin, by copying into the top level of the Kindle 2 and rebooting. Now my Kindle is stuck in an infinite reboot loop, and holding down the 'r' key during the flashing (or throughout the entire cycle) does nothing. Holding the power/sleep button to one side will halt the process at one of a couple of stages, but it just freezes until you slide this button again, at which point it resumes the infinite reboot loop. What can I do to get my Kindle back?
larryy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #96
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Help! I had installed the latest Savory 0.06 (from savory-image-2009-04-10.zip, not the very new 0.07). I tried to uninstall it using the provided update_RemoveSavory-0.06.bin, by copying into the top level of the Kindle 2 and rebooting. Now my Kindle is stuck in an infinite reboot loop, and holding down the 'r' key during the flashing (or throughout the entire cycle) does nothing. Holding the power/sleep button to one side will halt the process at one of a couple of stages, but it just freezes until you slide this button again, at which point it resumes the infinite reboot loop. What can I do to get my Kindle back?
You probably selected "Restart" instead of "Update" in the settings menu. I've had this happening before, it's very scary when it happens.

BTW, the 0.07 version installer would have upgraded version 0.06 painlessly.
Hold the "HOME" button while the device is rebooting ; when you're in the recovery mode ; press R

http://blogkindle.com/2009/03/kindle-2-recovery-mode/
Old 11-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #97
larryy

Quote:
You probably selected "Restart" instead of "Update" in the settings menu. I've had this happening before, it's very scary when it happens.

BTW, the 0.07 version installer would have upgraded version 0.06 painlessly.
Hold the "HOME" button while the device is rebooting ; when you're in the recovery mode ; press R

http://blogkindle.com/2009/03/kindle-2-recovery-mode/
Yes! Thank you! I actually just got off the phone with Kindle technical support, and successfully fixed the device, came here to post the solution, and found you'd done so while I was on the phone. (Really, I'd checked the forum immediately before calling Amazon.)

I'd read somewhere that 'r' was the key for invoking recovery mode, but maybe that's for the Kindle 1 or something, as it's definitely the "Home" button you need for the Kindle 2. And, happily, the Kindle will mount on your computer when it's in recovery mode, so I was able to simply delete the problematic updater .bin file, then press 'r' to exit recovery mode, and my Kindle 2 is back working like a champ. May I just say, PHEW!!! This was definitely scary! I was seriously depressed thinking I might have bricked my Kindle.

And thanks very much for the info about this likely being due to selecting restart rather than update. I hadn't thought about it, but that's almost certainly what happened. I had it in my mind that if you put the updater there and did a restart, it would update, so I'm pretty sure that's what I did. Maybe I can uninstall 0.06 successfully now, and I would have been too afraid to even try it, after that last go round, if you hadn't mentioned this. So a big
Old 11-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #98
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
This was definitely scary! I was seriously depressed thinking I might have bricked my Kindle.

And thanks very much for the info about this likely being due to selecting restart rather than update.
Yeah, the first time it happened to me ; I had cold sweats ...

With the Kindle 2 International it doesn't do that. It tells you that there was a problem with the update, and tell you to press the r key, and it then restart happily.

Quote:
I hadn't thought about it, but that's almost certainly what happened. I had it in my mind that if you put the updater there and did a restart, it would update, so I'm pretty sure that's what I did. Maybe I can uninstall 0.06 successfully now, and I would have been too afraid to even try it, after that last go round, if you hadn't mentioned this. So a big
If I were you, I would simply install 0.07 over it, without bothering using the uninstaller from 0.06.
Actually, the 0.07 will do a nicer upgrade than the 0.06 uninstaller would have ever done...
The 0.06 version saved the original file in a specific location and simply copy the backup over the original... But say you had installed another package after installing savory, doing the savory restore will also delete the changes made by that earlier app.

0.07 doesn't do that, it parses the files modified reverting changes ; but it won't alter if other changes were made.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #99
larryy

Quote:
If I were you, I would simply install 0.07 over it, without bothering using the uninstaller from 0.06.
Actually, the 0.07 will do a nicer upgrade than the 0.06 uninstaller would have ever done...
I'd already used the 0.06 uninstaller before I saw this. Now I wonder if in fact the 0.06 uninstaller didn't hork something in the main system software. Anytime I open any document on my Kindle now, when I exit it back to the Home screen, this most-recently-viewed document goes to the absolute end of all my documents, instead of the beginning, like it should (and used to). Ever seen this before? Any idea how to fix it?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #100
jyavenard
Zealot

I never saw this..

But even if the 0.06 uninstaller left things slightly screwed up ; version 0.07 would have reinstalled everything as it should... at least for savory to work

I can't think of any reasons why it would do what you describe, savory doesn't touch in any ways how things are presented and in what order. the amazon's code does that and savory doesn't touch it at all.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:06 AM   #101
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
larryy, the reason is not the update. Your kindle's internal clock probably reset itself back to Jan 1, 1980 or so. I had that happen. The list is sorted by dates the books were accessed last. And when you open a book now it was accessed last in 1980, but the books you opened before have a date of October 2009.

If you have whispernet reception your clock should reset itself. I have a non-international kindle and live in Germany - I had to use the USB Networking hack to access the kindle from the Computer and set the clock. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...068#post617068 and this post for how to change the clock: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...AAA#post514405
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #102
larryy

ichbindasauge, thank you! That makes perfect sense. And I can report a much easier solution... Just turn wireless on someplace you have a decent signal, et voila, the cellular connection provides the time and the system updates its clock. That's all it took for my Kindle to go back to sorting books normally. From what I feared to be a bricked Kindle to a misbehaving Kindle to having my little treasure back in perfect working order. Phew!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #103
yoicks
yoicks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I have installed 0.07 for my k2i and everything seems to be working fine but is there a way to force the pdf conversion to output images instead of mobi?
yoicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #104
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoicks View Post
I have installed 0.07 for my k2i and everything seems to be working fine but is there a way to force the pdf conversion to output images instead of mobi?
Version 07 should output both kind if there are images..
Old 11-08-2009, 05:46 AM   #105
yoicks
yoicks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Version 07 should output both kind if there are images..
If there aren't any images in the file is there a way to force the images output? One of the files I have has a lot of text formatting...
yoicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kindle 2, kindle conversion, savory