Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #931
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
The DRM plague strikes again.

It doesn't take any prisoners either.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #932
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
The DRM plague strikes again.

It doesn't take any prisoners either.
It was very foolish of Adobe to allow Adobe Digital Editions to work without registering it with an Adobe ID.

Or at least, to allow it without large warnings saying word to the effect that "You will lose access to your DRMed ebooks if you ever need to move to a different computer or re-installl the software."
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #933
SusanaSP
SusanaSP began at the beginning.

Device: kindle & Ipad
That's too bad!! So nothing I can do then
Thanks for the reply anyway...
SusanaSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #934
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Where's our friend from Adobe? This should be a question right up his alley.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #935
speedlever
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanaSP View Post
That's too bad!! So nothing I can do then
Thanks for the reply anyway...
I wouldn't go so far as to say there's nothing you can do. Google Apprentice Alf and look for a guide for the perplexed.

If you are minimally computer proficient, there are ways to deal with DRM infestation... as the title to this thread indicates.
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 04:07 AM   #936
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wouldn't go so far as to say there's nothing you can do. Google Apprentice Alf and look for a guide for the perplexed.

If you are minimally computer proficient, there are ways to deal with DRM infestation... as the title to this thread indicates.
Unless the ebook can be read in Adobe Digital Editions, nothing that Apprentice Alf has will work.

Of course, using the tools on subsequent purchases will ensure this doesn't happen in the future...
Old 02-15-2011, 05:58 AM   #937
speedlever
Fanatic

Really? I thought as long as it was d/l to her computer, she merely had to locate the file and import it to calibre, after the appropriate plug-ins have been installed, which would then free the ebook from DRM prison.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:04 AM   #938
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Really? I thought as long as it was d/l to her computer, she merely had to locate the file and import it to calibre, after the appropriate plug-ins have been installed, which would then free the ebook from DRM prison.
This is true, so long as it can be read by the current installation of Adobe Digital Editions.

None of the ebook DRM removal tools actually breaks the encryption, they just use the correct algorithm and 'secret' key to decrypt the ebook in the same way that the official ebook reading software does. If the 'secret' key is not available to the official software, the tools can't find it either.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:16 AM   #939
speedlever
Fanatic

Ouch. Thanks for the clarification.

The ADE DRM is now worse of an infection than I first thought.

I fail to understand why Adobe would give the option to open a book without registering ADE first. Or better yet, if it does allow that option, why register in the first place?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #940
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I fail to understand why Adobe would give the option to open a book without registering ADE first. Or better yet, if it does allow that option, why register in the first place?
The reason for registering with an Adobe ID is so that you /can/ read your DRMed ebooks on other computers and devices. The DRM keys are based on the Adobe ID in that case. It's only if you don't register that the DRM is tied to a particular computer and installation.

I too fail to understand why Adobe allow people to use ADE without registering. It almost guarantees that naïve users will get caught out by the DRM.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #941
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
I think this is totally unacceptable behaviour by Adobe. It is equivalent to stealing your ebooks, IMHO. You should file a request on Adobe's support site to have your ebooks transferred to your new Adobe account.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #942
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I would try calibre with the plugin anyway. When I was testing it, I just pointed calibre to the My Digital Editions folder. Turns out there were several library books that were long expired and I had deleted from ADE. (Didn't know I had to manually delete the files from My Digital Editions.) Lo and behold, the plugin liberated them and they opened in calibre. Who would a thunk it??
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #943
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
@retro: That's a different case. In your case you still had the same Adobe key. When you switch to a new Adobe ID, you get a new key, and most probably the old key is lost. Calibre, or any other DRM removal stuff, would need the key with which the ebook was encrypted. If the person having this problem is lucky it might be buried somewhere in a backup, but even then, it probably will be hard to recover it.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #944
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Or at least, to allow it without large warnings saying word to the effect that "You will lose access to your DRMed ebooks if you ever need to move to a different computer or re-installl the software."
It warns when you refuse to authorize. Not in large red letters, but a perfectly explanatory text. (You know, THAT text, the text you didn't read because it's not important).
Though having the same warning repeated before download...

Got tricked the same way. I installed ADE. It pop the warning about activation "oh, never mind, i don't mean to download books right now".

But, a few months later, when I finally download a book, i had totally forgotten about that...

"Can't decrypt ebook" said inept. Me : What the ???.
After a while trying to figure out why inept was refusing to de-drm. I did the second mistake, i authorized ADE (despite ADE warning me pretty clearly of the consequences ). And destroyed the temporary key...
Else, i could have use inept to get it, and de-drm the book...
Result -> two rather expensive e-books lost. Borders support wouldn't even care to answer.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 02-16-2011 at 10:30 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:47 AM   #945
Teddyrose
Teddyrose began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I know how to remove DRM for PDF and Epub but now I am getting books in PDF as ACSM files and the DRM removal for PDF doesn't work on them. The only reason I like to remove DRM is so that I can convert to epub which is much easier to read on my reader. Does anyone have any ideas?
Teddyrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adept, adobe epub drm, ainept, drm, drm removal, drm-free epub, inept