Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #106
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
So I think they either used a more efficient CPU or a bigger battery.
It's supposed to be the same battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfel View Post
I was going to trade up my 500 in a few weeks. I wonder if I can get the $100 credit towards the PRS700?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Oddly enough, I actually asked that question.

The answer was to the effect that they didn't have anything like that planned at the moment.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #107
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I think the trade in for 505's is still ongoing ... it's still on their Reader page at the moment, anyway ....

Edit -- Oops, it's not on the Reader page that was something else I saw, but I do believe the offer is still ongoing ....
Yeah, it's still going on (500 -> 505):

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...4903&langId=-1

Do you think they'd let me trade in my 500 refurb with the internal crack in the membrane (and lines on the screen)?

Especially for a 700? (If and when they get a 700 trade-up program going)

Last edited by InspectorGadget; 10-02-2008 at 07:56 PM.
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #108
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Not what I'd hoped but guess who'll be at the door of the Sony Style shop the day it comes out
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #109
adamjury
adamjury began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505R
I just bought a PRS505 last week and I'm loving it. If the 700 was available in Canada immediately I'd probably be bummed out, as having search would be a totally great thing, but since it's not available in Canada, I'll be happy with the 505 for awhile still. :-)

Although I assume it's completely trivial to get the American version of the reader in Canada... does anyone know what the return policy is for ebook readers in Canada? I checked the SonyStyle.ca site and it's not listed: http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...g_returns.html
adamjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #110
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Not what I'd hoped but guess who'll be at the door of the Sony Style shop the day it comes out
...me too. Time for a trip around the D.C. beltway.....

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #111
cfc
cfc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350
Font sizes?

Any word on what the new font sizes look like? The main reason I prefer my Kindle over my PRS-500 is the larger font sizes.

Also if, like eReader on the Ipod Touch, you could change the page turn gesture from a stroke to just a touch, that might make it easier.
cfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #112
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
on the Gizmodo review the text seems quite big !
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #113
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
One thing for sure. Sony *does* know how to produce sleek hardware that distinguishes itself from the rest.
Meh.. :S

Two questions (Sorry if i missed anything, loads of pages in this thread):
• Better PDF support? I noticed several zoom levels..
• Mac support?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #114
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I'll be interested in see the system software spec's (not available yet). Can it handle 2000 books on the navigation system without problems...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #115
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedale View Post
on the Gizmodo review the text seems quite big !
They have it set to the XL zoom level.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #116
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
I read a lot on my P3300 smartphone and don't like the "page turn with a screen touch" at all.
Its force me to move my hand and put a finger over the text on the screen, which is annoying as considering the way the device is hold, the finger will move over the last lines of text of the page. So you have to wait to finish the last lines, then move to touch the screen.

It breaks the reading, I find it much easier to keep a finger over the next page button for an instantaneous page turn as soon as I finish the last line.

I feel it would be the same with the 700, as it is a far bigger device than a phone you will have to put it down or use your second hand to turn the page using the touchscreen.
I think I would miss the second set of page turning buttons (on the right).
The touch screens is still a great additions for the lot of functions its add and the ease of navigation in the menu that it will offer, but for page turning it's not that good.

As for the Windows Mobile debate, I hardly ever get the stylus out. I control all with my finger and with the buttons.
Ie, i don't like the phones that only have a touch screen and almost no button.
You can't beat the ease of use of a few well placed buttons to dial or answer without watching at the screen, and well placed buttons which fell under the hands are more ergonomics than having to use the touchscreen for every simple interactions.

Last edited by Faenad; 10-02-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #117
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
They have it set to the XL zoom level.
Yeah, that's because cfc asked about the max font size in comparaison of the Kindle and I think it's bigger when you see in these pictures
Old 10-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #118
Vaporware
Not here yet.
Vaporware began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2 Ebook Reader
I'll have to see it first, but the integrated frontlight was my killer app. I don't care about buttons or anything as long as I can read at night.

Hopefully the new store is nice, too.
Vaporware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #119
Dedale
Guest Star

yeah I'm very intrigued by this feature. It seems really cool !
But here the guy said you have to have a lamp or an exterior light, it's not enough in darkness apparently
Old 10-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #120
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjury View Post
I just bought a PRS505 last week and I'm loving it. If the 700 was available in Canada immediately I'd probably be bummed out, as having search would be a totally great thing, but since it's not available in Canada, I'll be happy with the 505 for awhile still. :-)

Although I assume it's completely trivial to get the American version of the reader in Canada... does anyone know what the return policy is for ebook readers in Canada? I checked the SonyStyle.ca site and it's not listed: http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...g_returns.html
The 500 has never been sold in Canada, only the 505. Logically no trade-in possible. Although 505 to 700 could be possible.

Personnally I'll keep the 500 for sentimental purposes. The 700 is reeeeeal nice but I'll wait till a version is available in Quebec .
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front light, frontlight, prs700, sony reader, touch screen, touchscreen