Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
batchaesir
batchaesir began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
onyx BOOX‘s new android eink reader C65HD/C65ML is for user testing now!

onyx is carrying out a user testing of their android based eink reader BOOX C65HD/BOOX C65ML. Six members from ONYX official forum have already got the sample devices.
BOOX C65HD/BOOX C65ML features a standard android 2.3 and audio support, also users are free to install third-party apps.
Features and Specs see here:
http://www.onyx-international.com.cn...hp?serial=4631

Onyx is working hard to adapt android to their eink readers, and BOOX C65HD/BOOX C65ML will be their first one on the market featuring android, while sony closes the ability to hack their android based PRS T1/T2/T3.
batchaesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
At first, I thought they were going to go all-out:

Touchscreen, page turn buttons, TTS, Android, installation of reading apps.

However: It doesn't have a front-light. Mistake.

Even bigger mistake: it will run Android 2.3. Wait. What. HELLO, Boox! WAKE UP! Android 2.3.x is three years old. Many applications already require at least 3.0 and even 4.0 to be run. Android 4.4 was just released; I can understand if they're not using that, but I would expect at least the latest 4.0 version (4.0.4), which is 2 years old already.

Releasing a device using Android 2.3 at this point in time is the same as building a new computer and then running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista on it. You don't do that, if you don't have a VERY good reason to.

I wonder why companies release a device that has some blatant shortcomings that people can see when taking a first or second look at it.

Pity. If this device had a good front-light and at least Android 4.0.x (with the promise to update to 4.3.x or 4.4.x at some point in 2014), it would be a serious option for me. It would be a serious *e-ink tablet*. Now, it's just old at the date of release already.

Last edited by Katsunami; 11-07-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I believe C65ML stands for Moon Light.

Yes on the specs page:

Built in front light:

◆ Soft and evenly spread; brightness is adjustable;
◆ Any time is suitable for reading, night or day time. (* Only available for C65ML)

It would probably be nice, that's Gingerbread, isn't it? So you just run older apks if you have to.

Last edited by booklover6; 11-07-2013 at 10:27 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Even bigger mistake: it will run Android 2.3. Wait. What. HELLO, Boox! WAKE UP! Android 2.3.x is three years old. Many applications already require at least 3.0 and even 4.0 to be run. Android 4.4 was just released; I can understand if they're not using that, but I would expect at least the latest 4.0 version (4.0.4), which is 2 years old already.

Releasing a device using Android 2.3 at this point in time is the same as building a new computer and then running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista on it. You don't do that, if you don't have a VERY good reason to.
2.3 is probably the most modern build they can meet the hardware/display compatablity requirements on.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I believe C65ML stands for Moon Light.

Yes on the specs page:

Built in front light:

◆ Soft and evenly spread; brightness is adjustable;
◆ Any time is suitable for reading, night or day time. (* Only available for C65ML)

It would probably be nice, that's Gingerbread, isn't it? So you just run older apks if you have to.
I stand corrected; it's mentioned in the overview I see. I read the actual "Specs" list and read right through it. It says "Available for ML".

Still, Android 2.3... that might mean that one needs to run reading apps that are 1-3 years old already and not get updated anymore.
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
However: It doesn't have a front-light. Mistake.
The C65ML has a front light. What's nice is they're giving you a choice of buying a frontlit version or non-lit version depending on preference.

Quote:
The Onyx T68 (coming soon) will be running Android 4.0, perhaps we'll start seeing other devices that run this instead of 2.3. However most/all current reading related apps I can think of run on 2.3
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
With Google bringing down the spec requirements for Android Kitkat. We should be seeing more OEMs adopting Android 4.4 but Android after 2.3 and before 4.4 would not run properly on low spec devices that eink based devices usually are.
OEMs are not idiots if android version greater than 2.3 was able to be run on those devices they would have produced them and harped about it as it would have been a great selling point.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
batchaesir
batchaesir began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Android 2.3 is enough for running most apps. More often, low screen refresh rate is the limitation, not the OS version.
batchaesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
feliciano
feliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite2
OK, beside the gripes about which android version it's running, does anyone have a REAL review of the device?
feliciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
What's the screen size, anyone knows? I'd a bigger eink reader than the regular 6 inch ones.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:20 AM   #11
babadockia
Zealot
babadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kobo aura hd, trekstor pyrus maxi with texet 138 firmware
guys, is just an e-ereader... you have so many connected devices, phones, tablets, pads, computers. what do you need another one for? after that you would be whinning about the battery, which won't last more than a week. a reader is for reading only.
after almost one year with an aura hd, i can tell you that i prefer to read with a lamp, not with the embedded light.
and secondly, there is already an 8" screen e-reader which runs android with some perfect apps to read, thanks to an enthusiastic community from a russian forum, which I proudly own it. it's called Trekstor Pyrus Maxi and I was able to flash it with a firmware which runs on texet 138, because with the native software, that Trekstor is, simply put it, a piece of crappy junk.
sorry, guys, but for me a reader should remain a reader
babadockia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by babadockia View Post
guys, is just an e-ereader...
understood. but many of the better e-reader apps for android won't run on 2.3. or maybe i'm mistaken?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babadockia View Post
guys, is just an e-ereader...
For some of us it's a device that's in use for hours a day. If *something* is "wrong" (= not to ones taste) with it, it will irritate the hell out of the user.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #14
babadockia
Zealot
babadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
understood. but many of the better e-reader apps for android won't run on 2.3. or maybe i'm mistaken?
on my trekstor pyrus maxi,, which runs gingerbread, (android 2.3) I have, as reader apps, Alreader and Orion Viewer,both of them with a lot of options, and these run perfectly. I have these two, mainly because they are what the russian devs put on their texet tb138 reader and, maybe, these are working with physical buttons. people tried coolreader too, but is not working with buttons.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #15
babadockia
Zealot

Quote:
For some of us it's a device that's in use for hours a day. If *something* is "wrong" (= not to ones taste) with it, it will irritate the hell out of the user.
I've got that, but, one of the reasons that we "wander" on these forums, is to make our e-readers, exactly the way we like