Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #391
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Fair enough ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I like everything about Kobo and the Kobo Glo except for (1) the software bugs, instability and limitations I've read about and (2) the complications that could arise for non-Canadian customer service until the Glo is actually made available on the Kobo site's international links.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #392
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I had to return my kobo yesterday. I finding that when the WiFi was switched on the battery was draining at a ridiculous rate. Literally 10 % drain for every minute or so the WiFi was on. A full battery drained in Less than 10 minutes. It was also draining quite fast if I played around with the fonts or made a few book shelves.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #393
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too much to remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
As far as I'm concerned, Bookripper and most anyone else are perfectly welcome here. But there is such a thing as constructively criticizing something, whether an e-reader, a movie, a relationship or anything else, and it is another to bash it down in a totally subjective way.
He called this reader "a piece of crap". Well I tend to think this reader is worth a little more than crap. And I just pointed that out. If some can't take it then too bad for them.
apparently people like to talk about my posts so I feel obliged to respond

Ok, I used the term "piece of cr@p" (for me, thats still softer than "crap")
why did i do that? plain and simple, because kobo advertises the Glo as something it's not. my comment is based on the fact that it can not hold x1000 books as they clearly claim it can . go check it out on their website.

I needed that and I am disappointed, it's not like I got the thing for free. would you accept it if you bought a 16 GIG mp3 player that in reality could only hold 2 GIG? I dont think so, but it seems like Ereaders are allowed to underachieve..
Never did I address or attacked someone personal.
If anyone considers this as "bashing", I couldn't care less....

Grtz, Ripper
Bookripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #394
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
1. Sounds to me like Bookripper is one of those technophobic people. First if you are going to count on the salesman at the store to tell you how your Kobo works you are in for a big disappointment. Those people wouldn't know a reader if it hits them in the face. A few days before the Glo was released here, I asked one of those about when exactly it would be available and after checking in his computer the guy told me that the Kobos were already there and after walking with me to the e-readers aisle he pointed me towards a Kobo TOUCH ...

2. As for the Memory of the Glo it truly can hold over 1000 books and much more if you use an SD card. Now there are things to keep in mind when using the external memory to store books, even I who don't use that memory, have heard about that. But I bet Bookripper must have crammed unceremoniously a whole bunch of poorly formatted, css flawed rips and mixed them with books in the internal memory, thus creating issues.

3. About his battery being at 17% after an hour. Dude after a week mine is at 60% But maybe you did not read the notice that says to charge it a bit the first time before using it. It's no secret that the Wifi is quite energy consuming so what business did he have to leave it on permanently ? Once your reader is updated and you have checked whatever books you needed at the online bookstore you turn-off the Wifi, obviously.

4. As for the PDF's how are they not working ? they work fine, granted I did not test those much as PDF's are not what I need in a reader but for me it went well.

5. So I guess the bottom line is: Sure there can be issues with technology and in some cases bad ones but some people seem to attract them by mistreating or manhandling their devices. Like when you are done charging your reader you must disconnect your reader from the computer before actually unplugging it. If you don't then don't complain if someday there can be damaged files.
You are getting pretty personal man, and you could not be more wrong, about everything.

1. first of all, I dont have the luxury to count on a salesman at the store, because they dont sell kobo in my country. I have to buy through a vendor from a supplier abroad. I dont even get the chance to go to a vendor. And why am I wrong to rely on information Kobo advertises on their own website? who's phobic here?

2. there is nothing wrong with my books, no books are css flawed, and no books were mixed with the internal memory. I've been reading books on my laptop since before tablets were available, my collection took YEARS of work. where do you get the right to make insinuations like that? But I did "cram" 2 GIG of books on a 16 GIG SD card, guilty as charged.
By the way, feel free to explain to me how "ceremoniously" YOU add your books. I've been softmodding Xboxes and Playstations for years. I root, personalize and overclock anything I can get my hands on. But i didnt realize I needed a special ceremony to copy some files on an Ereader. please enlighten me!

3. "Dude", its not because your device doesnt have that problem, that it doesnt exist. I am not the only one with a battery draining KOBO on this forum. And dont call me "dude" when you are talking trash about me.

4. Yes, the zoom in the pdf did not work, same as the zoom for images in epub books. Your zoom DID work. congratulations, thanks for sharing that with the group!
By the way, I got another answer, from kobo themselves this time. They acknowledge my problems and I could send it back free of charge. (A bit too late because Kobo Holland (Libris) already told me I could do the same thing, but good to have another confirmation that i'm right).

So eat that one too.

5. Your little Jerry-Springer-moral-du-jour of what caused my problems....what a load of BS... I did not mistreat or misuse anything. especially because I knew pretty fast that I was gonna send it back.
I treated it like my first girlfriend, and I did none of the things you said. Too bad, it also treated ME like my first girlfriend.
I dont care what worked for you or what didnt work for you. It's MY device I am talking about. The supplier in holland only accepts returns if the buyer pays for the shipping costs, unless it's a faulty device. so besides my problem with the Organization of the library, it WAS faulty too. But YOUR zoom works, glad to hear that!

Get a life, "dude"

Last edited by Bookripper; 10-28-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #395
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Bookripper,

I imagine I'm not alone in thinking that if you'd spent a fraction of the time & effort you put into ranting here and at some hapless vendor, instead of into a bit of research and creating a short post on the MobileRead 'Which one should I buy?' sub-forum stating your requirements simply and politely you would have received a better response. If you'd said these 3 items were must-haves:
  • thousands of books,
  • many of them PDF
  • to use your own folder structure
I'd be surprised if you would have received any replies with Kobo 6" eInk at the top of the list (or Kindle, or Nook, or current Sony...).

Why not try that approach instead?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #396
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I had to return my kobo yesterday. I finding that when the WiFi was switched on the battery was draining at a ridiculous rate. Literally 10 % drain for every minute or so the WiFi was on. A full battery drained in Less than 10 minutes. It was also draining quite fast if I played around with the fonts or made a few book shelves.
Where did you get it? Or where did you get your Paperwhite? One sells in Canada, the other in the US... Did you buy the Glo on a trip and then have to come back to Canada to return? Just curious, I figure you must be in the US because Paperwhite doesn't ship here?
Edit: or maybe you're in the UK?/Hadn't occurred to me that you could be from outside North America...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-28-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #397
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This thread is about the Kobo, I don't know you personally I don't care about you so why the hell would this be personal. cut off the paranoia man !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookripper View Post
You are getting pretty personal man, and you could not be more wrong, about everything.
Your rant souds technophobic, if you are not, good for you, just be more clear and less ambiguous next time ok?

Quote:
1. first of all, I dont have the luxury to count on a salesman at the store, because they dont sell kobo in my country. I have to buy through a vendor from a supplier abroad. I dont even get the chance to go to a vendor. And why am I wrong to rely on information Kobo advertises on their own website? who's phobic here?
I never said it does not exist. But you go around saying this device is crap, then next time be more specific and say that YOUR device has this or that issue. But that does not make it crap in general.

Quote:
3. "Dude", its not because your device doesnt have that problem, that it doesnt exist. I am not the only one with a battery draining KOBO on this forum. And dont call me "dude" when you are talking trash about me.
So eat that one too.
Don't get me started on the girlfriends, they are the only ones you can generalize about being crap ...

Quote:
5. Your little Jerry-Springer-moral-du-jour of what caused my problems....what a load of BS... I did not mistreat or misuse anything. especially because I knew pretty fast that I was gonna send it back.
I treated it like my first girlfriend, and I did none of the things you said. Too bad, it also treated ME like my first girlfriend.
At least you are finally honest and admit YOUR device was faulty. Again that does not make all the Kobos CRAP. So who's getting personal here.

Quote:
I dont care what worked for you or what didnt work for you. It's MY device I am talking about. The supplier in holland only accepts returns if the buyer pays for the shipping costs, unless it's a faulty device. so besides my problem with the Organization of the library, it WAS faulty too. But YOUR zoom works, glad to hear that!
I tried a life but it did not work for me thanks for the suggestion. Books on the other hand ...

Quote:
Get a life, "dude"

Last edited by Quexos; 10-28-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #398
Bookripper
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@Bookripper,

I imagine I'm not alone in thinking that if you'd spent a fraction of the time & effort you put into ranting here and at some hapless vendor, instead of into a bit of research and creating a short post on the MobileRead 'Which one should I buy?' sub-forum stating your requirements simply and politely you would have received a better response. If you'd said these 3 items were must-haves:
  • thousands of books,
  • many of them PDF
  • to use your own folder structure
I'd be surprised if you would have received any replies with Kobo 6" eInk at the top of the list (or Kindle, or Nook, or current Sony...).

Why not try that approach instead?
My "rants" are replies to insulting posts.

Ok last time:

Because I pre-ordered it a month ago and I thought it was clear enough on the kobo website. I waited until the 6th generation of Ereaders to buy one. who knew they would still have such a retarded system (yes, retarded, I stand by that).
Who here knew anything about the Kobo glo a month ago, besides the specs Kobo advertised?
And do you think they would have said "no", if I asked if it was possible to add thousands of books? Kobo advertises it like that!!
Also, the pdf seems to work fine on most kobos, so thats exactly what they would have answered me on that one.

I can only buy Sony ereaders at pretty high prices in my country, so on this one, I took a leap of faith.... sometimes you do that, and are not satisfied... It's called "LIFE". And for just living it, I should not get insults over me from that "dude"-guy.

Kobo gone, Bookeen soon... So I will unsubscribe from this topic, if anyone wants to continue the discussion, STOP quoting me in this topic, and PM me.

grtz, Ripper
Old 10-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #399
Bookripper
Connoisseur

Quote:
This thread is about the Kobo, I don't know you personally I don't care about you so why the hell would this be personal. cut off the paranoia man !

Your rant souds technophobic, if you are not, good for you, just be more clear and less ambiguous next time ok?

I never said it does not exist. But you go around saying this device is crap, then next time be more specific and say that YOUR device has this or that issue. But that does not make it crap in general.

Don't get me started on the girlfriends, they are the only ones you can generalize about being crap ...

At least you are finally honest and admit YOUR device was faulty. Again that does not make all the Kobos CRAP. So who's getting personal here.

I tried a life but it did not work for me thanks for the suggestion. Books on the other hand ...
whatever, "dude" I couldnt care 1 bit about anything you say.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #400
Quexos
Member Retired

Anyways back to topic.
Another thing I like about the Glo over my old 650 is the dictionary display window. Whenever I had to look up a word in the middle of a reading if there was too much info, I had to "leave" my reading to get to the bottom of it, often the info was not even what I was looking for.
With the Glo, the window displays nicely the definitions and when there's extra info, you just sort of turn page within the dictionary window so you are not disconnected from your reading.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #401
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Ok, I used the term "piece of cr@p" (for me, thats still softer than "crap")
why did i do that? plain and simple, because kobo advertises the Glo as something it's not. my comment is based on the fact that it can not hold x1000 books as they clearly claim it can . go check it out on their website.
Sure it can. I have 518 books in the main memory of my Kobo (about 100 are Kobo books, the rest sideloaded epubs and a handful of PDFs) and still have 803 MB free of the available 1.32 GB. That's more than half of the available storage still available for another 500 books.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #402
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Maybe a rooted T1 or T2 would work better for Bookripper as they are Android based you might be able to use your folder system by installing another reader apt. Stock T1 or T2 wouldn't handle you folder system any better than a Kobo.

Happy hunting for a reader that works best for you. Let us know if you find e-ink reader that works with your file system.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #403
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Where did you get it? Or where did you get your Paperwhite? One sells in Canada, the other in the US... Did you buy the Glo on a trip and then have to come back to Canada to return? Just curious, I figure you must be in the US because Paperwhite doesn't ship here?
Edit: or maybe you're in the UK?/Hadn't occurred to me that you could be from outside North America...
Yes I'm in the UK.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #404
mumbletop
mumbletop began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Pixel 5
I just bought a Glo from WHSmiths. This is my first e-reader. I got it because I've run out of space for paper books, and didn't much enjoy longform reading on my Android tablet.

The Kobo is pleasantly small, light and easy to hold. I thought I wouldn't like the quilted back but it's fine. It does seem to attract fingerprints and I really will want a cover - does anyone know when the Sleepcover will be available in the UK?

Set up was easy enough by attaching the reader to my PC with the USB cable and downloading and running the Kobo desktop software. It downloaded new firmware and the whole process took maybe ten minutes. Using ADE I sideloaded some ePubs I'd bought from Google Play. These didn't show up at first - I reattached the reader to my PC and reran ADE and Kobo desktop, and it was fine.

Though I have a problem with the sideloaded ePubs: I can't seem to change the font or line spacing for some. Is this solvable without stripping DRM?

The light: it's white enough for me. Maybe not quite as white as the Kindle Paperwhite I played with in Waterstones, but it's fine. And it's really quite even -there's the slightest of brightness at the side and top edges and a slight shadow at the bottom but it's hardly anything.

Fonts changes in one Kobo ePub book don't necessarily seem to carry across to others. When you wake the reader from sleep, it switches the light back on but forgets to put the black bar at the bottom which it uses to hide the slight shadow at the bottom. I'd find it useful if the sliders e.g. for the light or font sizes showed a numerical level.

@shanghaichica: sorry to hear about your WiFi and battery problems, mine seems fine. I see you got the Paperwhite - curious to know how you think they compare?

Anyway, time to do some reading.
mumbletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #405
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbletop View Post
Though I have a problem with the sideloaded ePubs: I can't seem to change the font or line spacing for some. Is this solvable without stripping DRM?
Not currently. Stripping and taking some of the formatting out with Calibre is the only solution that I am aware of for the e-pubs.

Quote:
Fonts changes in one Kobo ePub book don't necessarily seem to carry across to others.
Be careful saying that . There were a lot of people who complained long and loud to have each book keep it's own separate settings since there could be such a huge difference between individual e-pubs/kepubs. If you are opening a new one, my understanding is that it uses the last settings as the default to start with. Personal preferences in how it behaves, but I like it the current way.

Quote:
When you wake the reader from sleep, it switches the light back on but forgets to put the black bar at the bottom which it uses to hide the slight shadow at the bottom.
Known issue. Fixed in current beta so should be fixed in next firmware update.

Quote:
I'd find it useful if the sliders e.g. for the light or font sizes showed a numerical level.
It would be nice to have this when playing around trying to get the exact right settings (make it easier to go back to a previous setting).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote