Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
fitzhugh
fitzhugh can extract oil from cheesefitzhugh can extract oil from cheesefitzhugh can extract oil from cheesefitzhugh can extract oil from cheesefitzhugh can extract oil from cheesefitzhugh can extract oil from cheesefitzhugh can extract oil from cheesefitzhugh can extract oil from cheesefitzhugh can extract oil from cheese

Device: nook str
Saving conversion settings?

I'm not sure where to post feature requests, please advise if this should be elsewhere.

I love Calibre, now one of my most-used programs! Thank you!

I convert a lot of books and each time have to enter the same settings. Is there a way to save the settings? For example, I change the base font size, font size key, minimum line height, justification, margin sizes, and prevent rescaling of cover, using same settings on all books, at least initially.

Is there some way to capture those settings? If not, would you please consider adding it?

Also, I find it difficult to keep track of which books I've just added as soon as I do anything to update the list so they're no longer at the top of the list, unsorted. Is there a field for this I'm overlooking?

Thank you for Calibre!
fitzhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzhugh View Post
I'm not sure where to post feature requests, please advise if this should be elsewhere.

I love Calibre, now one of my most-used programs! Thank you!

I convert a lot of books and each time have to enter the same settings. Is there a way to save the settings? For example, I change the base font size, font size key, minimum line height, justification, margin sizes, and prevent rescaling of cover, using same settings on all books, at least initially.

Is there some way to capture those settings? If not, would you please consider adding it?

Also, I find it difficult to keep track of which books I've just added as soon as I do anything to update the list so they're no longer at the top of the list, unsorted. Is there a field for this I'm overlooking?

Thank you for Calibre!
Moderator Notice
Please read the sticky https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122042 before thinking of posting in development

If you set Your settings in Preferences (conversion area), they will be used for all NEW conversions. Any previous conversions will remember the settings used at conversion time. There is a reset button at the bottom of the conversion screen to make those forgotten, causing it to grab the new defaults.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
I think Fitzhugh is asking something slightly different (apologies if wrong). I have two readers which have very different needs. My Cool-er does not allow modification to margins, line height and best suits my needs with a specific base font. These need to be defined in the CSS of the book concerned. I also have to embed my favoured font in the book in order to use it on the Cool-er.

My Kobo Touch allows all but the base font to be changed on the reader UNLESS they are predefined in the book's CSS.

The above means I need very different conversions for the books I wish to put on each ereader.

I also do ebook conversions for non PC literate friends who have ereaders with other characteristics, which means I use regularly use other settings.

This means I may wish to convert a book several times, over a period of time, each conversion having a set of parameters to suit the ereader it will be used on.

I read Fithugh as being in a similar situation.

The way I tackle the proble is given in the following:-

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160581

If anyone has a better way I would appreciate knowing what it is.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
lar3ry
Enthusiast
lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo WiFi and Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you set Your settings in Preferences (conversion area), they will be used for all NEW conversions. Any previous conversions will remember the settings used at conversion time. There is a reset button at the bottom of the conversion screen to make those forgotten, causing it to grab the new defaults.
Is there a way to set it up sp that a conversion always takes the most recent changes in the preferences? I find that there are settings that I would always like when converting.

I see there is a configuration directory, and within that, a "conversion" directory, and within that an "epubout.py" file, but the file is blank. Would it be possible to do something in the configuration directory to (for example) force a blank line between paragraphs during conversion? (of course, I'd need to learn python and some Calibre functions to do it).

Thanks,
Larry
lar3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Larry - you set your default conversion preferences using Preferences -> Conversion. That is what writes into those files you found.

Then to make sure that calibre will convert with your latest settings, either on a per book basis make sure you click "Restore default settings" on the conversion dialog. Or select *all* your books, bring up the bulk edit dialog, and tick the checkbox "Remove stored conversion settings for the selected books". This will ensure that if you next do a conversion it will use your default settings not any you might have used on a previous conversion for that book.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
lar3ry
Enthusiast
lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo WiFi and Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Larry - you set your default conversion preferences using Preferences -> Conversion. That is what writes into those files you found.

Then to make sure that calibre will convert with your latest settings, either on a per book basis make sure you click "Restore default settings" on the conversion dialog. Or select *all* your books, bring up the bulk edit dialog, and tick the checkbox "Remove stored conversion settings for the selected books". This will ensure that if you next do a conversion it will use your default settings not any you might have used on a previous conversion for that book.
Sounds good! One thing, though. The checkbox I get on the conversion dialog says "use saved conversion settings for individual books". So I unchecked that one, and am in the process of converting all my books.

Thanks!
lar3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lar3ry View Post
Sounds good! One thing, though. The checkbox I get on the conversion dialog says "use saved conversion settings for individual books". So I unchecked that one, and am in the process of converting all my books.

Thanks!
The reason it is worded that way, in Bulk mode, some have prior settings and some don't.

This way ALL will use the current default.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote