Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #16
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I would buy it.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:25 AM   #17
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Unless there are other improvements to the reader, not just the light, I won't be buying it. I really do have enough ereaders LOL
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #18
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I also have "enough" ereaders, but there's always room for one more LOL. I'll buy one as soon as it's released and I'm already wondering what type of covers Amazon will have for this new Kindle
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #19
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I can't wait for a lighted Kindle Touch. As soon as pre-orders are up, I'll be jumping in. I also like the estimated $10 increase.

I know some folks still wish for physical page turn buttons but I find that just a quick tap of the screen is soooo much easier for me. And no...before anyone says it again...it is not an iPad/Fire fingerprint magnet.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #20
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
It's more of a laziness ergonomic thing. Resting the thumb on a spot and pressing intermittently is easier than repeatedly moving it onto the screen and tapping and moving it away.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #21
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
It's more of a laziness ergonomic thing. Resting the thumb on a spot and pressing intermittently is easier than repeatedly moving it onto the screen and tapping and moving it away.
That never worked for me...when I hold the Kindle in one hand, but my thumb is all the way to the edge, the Kindle is precariously balanced. Then, when I would apply pressure to change the page, the Kindle would just try to fall out of my hand. I can't even hold a Kindle correctly!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #22
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
That never worked for me...when I hold the Kindle in one hand, but my thumb is all the way to the edge, the Kindle is precariously balanced. Then, when I would apply pressure to change the page, the Kindle would just try to fall out of my hand. I can't even hold a Kindle correctly!

Do you have the KNT, by any chance? One of the advantages of the extra height of the Keyboard is that it ensures that my thumb rests exactly on the page turn button.

Edit: Just saw your profile, KT it is.

Last edited by howyoudoin; 05-15-2012 at 08:35 AM.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #23
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does the Kindle Touch not suffer from the huge-archive-causing-spontaneous-rebooting issue? This affected my K3/3G so much that I had to take it off my account and open a new account just for it.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Does the Kindle Touch not suffer from the huge-archive-causing-spontaneous-rebooting issue? This affected my K3/3G so much that I had to take it off my account and open a new account just for it.
What's huge? My archive is 3,577 and I've never had a rebooting problem on the Touch (never had one on my K2 or K3 either for that matter).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #25
jswinden
Nameless Being

All of this of course is pure speculation as nothing has been confirmed, but I see no reason to upgrade from my K3 with lighted cover. I assume Amazon will eventually add KF8 support to the K3, although they might not. I hope they do as I like my K3 better than my K4NT. Amazon still hasn't updated the K4NT for KF8 either. And from what I hear Amazon still hasn't got the KF8 issues on the KT sorted out.

[EDIT]
I should probably mention that I seldom use my eInk Kindles any more as I greatly prefer reading on the Fire, especially in low light situations. I only use eInk when out doors or occasionally in a well lit room.
[/EDIT]

I'm always skeptical of new ereader technology. Sony was always trying stuff that sounded cool but usually degraded the screen. Has anyone actually seen and used the new Nook to see if there is any screen degradation? I guess testing the light inside a well lit store would be futile.

Personally I wish Amazon would take a year off from developing new ereaders and concentrate instead on getting the cloud to whispersync properly with all of their current ereaders and apps. Make it a FIRMWARE year rather than a lackluster HARDWARE year. With as much of the market as they command, I doubt they have to worry about B&N or Sony.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-15-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #26
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I'm still waiting for the KNT to update the firmware for KF8, the light isn't a big seller for me.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #27
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
What's huge? My archive is 3,577 and I've never had a rebooting problem on the Touch (never had one on my K2 or K3 either for that matter).
There have been numerous reports at various sites about this. My Amazon book archive is currently 4188, but it was less than that when I took my 3G off that account. My wifi K3 is still on the account. I don't use it much (gave it to my daughter) but I did turn the wifi on this morning for a bit, and it hasn't rebooted. Maybe they fixed the problem, I don't know. I won't buy another e-ink Kindle unless I know it's fixed.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #28
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It could also depend on the size of the books that you are dealing with.

The archive is different then what you have on the device. The reports I have heard of actual Kindles that have slowed down have had over 1,000 books on the Kindle itself. The archive has nothing to do with it since the archive is in the cloud.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #29
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I only had about 500 books on it. Amazon replaced my 3G Kindle due to the rebooting. The replacement was doing the same thing. Once I took it off the account with the big archive, it has never rebooted since. That's been about a month and I connect it to the servers multiple times a day to get news blogs.

(My first Kindle, the wifi, I did load over 1,000 books and did experience the slowing down. So have less than 400 on it now. This was before my archive became so large. I didn't experience the spontaneous reboots then, it was just extremely sluggish).

So due to the problems I've had with the Kindles, I got a Sony T1 touch instead of a Kindle Touch. No slowing down, no rebooting, no problems, with the SD card I have over 4000 books on it, plus some android apps (pandora, tune in radio, dropbox). Really nice. Though greatly I prefer the way I can load books to my Kindles wirelessly! I'd like to have a Kindle Touch, but looking for an updated model, like a gen 2.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #30
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I would like one.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote