Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Does Amazon send refurbished units as new?

Just ordered a Kindle 4 and it arrived today.

On the Amazon tracking webpage the item shows as being sent from Phoenix AZ.

When I checked the USPS site with the tracking number it originated from Federal Way WA.

Today I got the unit and the address label originated from the Returns Center in Las Vegas NV.

Item looks new and works fine but sort of irks me that I'm paying for and expecting a new unit but the return center label leads me to believe it's just a refurb.

The 1 year warranty is peace of mind if anything happens but still a little misleading business practice if Amazon is shipping refurbs as new units.
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Did you buy it as New?
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
Did you buy it as New?
Yes, don't even see the option on the Kindle page to order as a refurb.
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Any refurb I've ever seen from Amazon says Refurbished on the box.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would think it was new then
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I wouldn't think Amazon would do something like that, but you should call CS and ask. Doesn't prove anything, but it would be interesting to hear what they say.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Harry_Y
Addict

for what it's worth I have never had any problems with any items straight from Amazon
Old 05-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
If someone returns an item unopened (could be a gift), that should still count as a new item?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
They have different distribution centers. It could be that they ran out of stock at all the other places and had to route the order to another one.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
It could go the other way. The two or three Kindle Keyboard refurbs I have seen looked new. If I was getting another Kindle, this is the one I would choose:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #11
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
Refurbished items come in plain cardboard boxes. Similar shape as the new ones (funky shape with a tear away strip), but no color graphics or artwork on them.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:42 AM   #12
NightGoat
Connoisseur
NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle Oasis, DXG, and Kobo Aura One
Side Note Question:

I just ordered a replacement for an out of warranty Kindle Keyboard which has a broken screen. The CC person registered the replacement for me, now the "Manage your Kindle" page indicates that Update 3.3 is available.

Is this a good indication I am getting a new, never opened Kindle Keyboard rather than a refurb? I didn't think to ask, besides the connection was so bad we could barely muddle through getting the replacement ordered.
NightGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I admit I don't really understand the fuzz about "new" vs. "refurbished".

Regarding the O.P.: I don't think that Amazon would take the risk to send out refurbished ones as "new" -- that would be outright deception, and in your case, you have the right to expect a brand new one, because that's what you paid for. As someone else has mentioned here, a pretty plausible explanation is that someone returned the item unopened for whichever reason. Note that it's from a "return center" (or so), not a "repair center".

@NightGoat: Does it really matter? You got a working replacement for an out of warranty item, which is more than most other companies would give you.

Regarding the updates: I don't think it's a good indicator of anything. Updates may be released a second after your brand-new device was manufactured. Refurbs may be reflashed with a cutting-edge firmware, or with an old one. Only the folks actually performing the refurbs know.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
puglover333
Enthusiast
puglover333 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.puglover333 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.puglover333 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3 KDXG
The refurbished ones come in a box exactly the same as a new one - except there is a "R" in the tree in the picture of the man reading under the tree.
puglover333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
"Today I got the unit and the address label originated from the Returns Center in Las Vegas NV."

I think what is going on here is that the return address allows you to not accept the shipment and it gets shipped to their Returns Center –not the shipping address. I've seen that address on other items from Amazon and those orders were certainly not refurbs.

Think about it for a bit. Amazon retails thousands of products. All of them that get returned go to their Return Center and from there they would go (in bulk) to various facilities for whatever their protocol is for a return on that specific product. (Thus returned Kindles would go in the Kindle bin for shipment to the refurb center.) In other words, they wouldn't be shipping individual orders from the Return Center, just receiving.

Does this make any sense? I think your Kindle is new. Enjoy it.

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote