Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #46
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjoyce View Post
FINALLY some POSITIVE PB comments.....I am totally new to PB and really frustrated, would it be possible for you to give instructions to get books onto device? Got books from demanoid.me, into Calibre and need to know how to continue....and what format to convert to and where to send the books to and how to transfer to PB - TRIED USB AND WIRELESS and I can see books and read on computer, but, nothing goes to PB....I have worked over this now for 3 weeks....any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Okay - Kobo shipped out with all playbooks as far as I know - and they use EPUB format. Have you opened up Kobo on your PB and gotten a feel for it? Have you thought about opening a Kobo account?

In Calibre convert your books to epub

Then follow the instructions i gave several posts back re sending books from Calibre to the PB.

Then open Kobo and you should see the books there.

Let me know how you go ..... Bear in mind I'm in Sydney and it's currently 2230 hours ish - so we're probably in different time zones.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #47
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bobandjoyce are you a member of Crackberry, the blackberry users forum?

I can recommend it - there is a Playbook section and you will see how others use their pb's and get lots of help.

Www.crackberry.com

It's a huge forum with over 3 million members.
Advert
Old 05-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #48
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Posted in error - can't work out how to delete post.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 05-24-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #49
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Posted in error - can't work out how to delete post!

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 05-24-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #50
Alans
Connoisseur
Alans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I have a question regarding my playbook and I can't register for crack berry. Can someone help with this? I was on the city bus today and a guy in front of me was watching a movie on his playbook .first off how could he do this without wifi and second how do you get a movie on the playbook?
Alans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #51
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Hi Alans

Have you gone into the Camera and Video apps on your PB?

As you'd be aware you can take photos with the front and back facing camera, and you can also take videos - both of which you can do off line - that is take the pics/vids and watch them.

If you want to download pics or vids to your PB that you have saved on your PC then you can do this a couple of ways:

i) use Desktop Mgr - have you downloaded Blackberry Desktop Mgr onto your PC/laptop?

ii) side load via the My Computer screen - so:

- attach your PB to your PC using the usb cord

- open My Computer (Flag key + e)

- wait for Z drive (or whatever it's called on your PC) to show up

- open out Z drive so you see the folders

- go back up to your PC's video files - choose the vid you want to COPY to the PB and then COPY it to your PB

Let me know how you go.

(Ooops if some of what I've said above is a suck eggs .... I don't know how much you know already)

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 05-24-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 05-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #52
Alans
Connoisseur
Alans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Thanks for the info Lynx Lynx.
Alans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #53
The_Doughboy
The_Doughboy can eat soup with a fork.The_Doughboy can eat soup with a fork.The_Doughboy can eat soup with a fork.The_Doughboy can eat soup with a fork.The_Doughboy can eat soup with a fork.The_Doughboy can eat soup with a fork.The_Doughboy can eat soup with a fork.The_Doughboy can eat soup with a fork.The_Doughboy can eat soup with a fork.The_Doughboy can eat soup with a fork.The_Doughboy can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
My setup

I'm using the following:
1) My previous eBook reader was the first gen Kobo so most of my purchases have been from them so I'm using Kobo ebook reader there, and its nice that it syncs my bookmarks with my Blackberry Bold and my PC.
2) I've Side-loaded Amzaon Kindle eReader on there using the process outlined on Good e-Reader's web site. http://goodereader.com/apps/playbook...-android-apps/
3) For Library books I'm using the Overdrive Media Console
4) And finally any other books I'm using the Moon eReader which is also an Android app that was sideloaded. And I transfer the books over the Z drive when I plug it in.
The_Doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #54
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
How good is the screen to read in comparation with iPad1? I can get one playbook for a good price here in Brazil but I can't do a playtest T_T
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #55
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
using the playbook exclusively as my ereader. Tried Kobo, wasn't my cup of tea. Having looked and tested most of the reading apps available my favourite was Bookreader.

Its clean, simple, import is easy. Enough options to keep me happy not too many too distract from the apps purpose. For £1 its a bargain. Only thing i would like is a prettier library interface. Other than that its perfect.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #56
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How do you find reading on the Playbook in regards to eye strain? Also, how's the battery life?
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #57
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Hi Blue2u, no probs for me re eyestrain. I use the app Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle Books, and Sepia setting.

The Playbook battery lasts about 10 to 12 hours depending on what else you might be doing on it as well as reading, eg emails, sms, and internet.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #58
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Hi Blue2u, no probs for me re eyestrain. I use the app Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle Books, and Sepia setting.

The Playbook battery lasts about 10 to 12 hours depending on what else you might be doing on it as well as reading, eg emails, sms, and internet.
Thank you.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #59
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

I also use the following apps to read on the playbook:

Kobo (For Kobo purchase books)
Pdf Reader (by Sporadic Software)
Overdrive Media (for Library books)

After I buy a book I immediately clean it and download it into Calibre. Then I either copy the book into the Playbook via Z drive (when attached to the PC), or use SugarSync or Dropbox or whatever to download it to PC when I'm ready to read it.

Enjoy!!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #60
BenjaminJames
Enthusiast
BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony 505 (2nd one), had a Cool-er but broke it, Dell Streak
I must say that since i started reading on my playbook i have completely stopped using my eink reader ( i actually looked for it yesterday and i cant remember where i put it lol) its a wonderful little device, i was worried about eye strain etc but i havent noticed it at all. I use kindle android app converted and sideloaded
BenjaminJames is offline   Reply With Quote