Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
gupuigei
gupuigei began at the beginning.

Device: e-book reader
looking for a reader

hello,

i am a graduate student in the biological sciences. i do lots of reading of scientific literature in pdf format. i have become interested in readers that use electronic paper displays. i would like a recommendation of which readers would be most useful to me for my reading. i can provide samples if necessary.

puigei
gupuigei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
If you want to read scientific papers in PDF format, then the only real option at the moment is the iLiad. Simply because of its screensize and its ability to zoom into pdf files.

And there is a nice column mode ipdf viewer out there

The other are just too small to read legal or A4 size documents on them.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
gupuigei
gupuigei began at the beginning.

Device: e-book reader
iliad for reading pdf

do you feel that this would be a good tool for someone reading lots of pdfs or is the pdf reading experience merely tolerable?
gupuigei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:31 AM   #4
David B
David B began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook GEN3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
If you want to read scientific papers in PDF format, then the only real option at the moment is the iLiad. Simply because of its screensize and its ability to zoom into pdf files.

And there is a nice column mode ipdf viewer out there

The other are just too small to read legal or A4 size documents on them.
Hi,
I just discovered this forum a few days ago and found a lot of usefull info.

I plan to buy a Cybook. And would like to use it to read articles and technicals documents from HTML / PDF sources. I don't mind if I have to convert the pdf files. Did you try already reading converted PDF on your cybook? Is it convenient enough?

The iRex would have been great but it's expensive. I would better buy a cheaper Cybook right now and wait a couple of years to afford an A5 color eReader.

I am still unsure though...
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:47 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Hi,
I just discovered this forum a few days ago and found a lot of usefull info.

I plan to buy a Cybook. And would like to use it to read articles and technicals documents from HTML / PDF sources. I don't mind if I have to convert the pdf files. Did you try already reading converted PDF on your cybook? Is it convenient enough?

The iRex would have been great but it's expensive. I would better buy a cheaper Cybook right now and wait a couple of years to afford an A5 color eReader.

I am still unsure though...
If you convert the PDFs in some way, to be displayed as reflowable html for mobi format or as an A5 or A6 PDF, then you should be able to read thing ok. But you cannot zoom in more than landscapemode as of now.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2007, 03:06 AM   #6
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
How about Sony PRS-505 instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I bought sony PRS-505 for the same purpose and it serves the purpose reasonably well. In addition, PRS-505 is cheaper than Cybook by $70+ if you can purchase from www.datavis.com. (The site offers free shipping at $279.99)
[Edit: I just noticed that you are in Germany. I guess shipping may not be free.]

For PDFs, I would recommend you to try out 'PDFLRF' program to convert your PDFs and see whether they are readable or not.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13135
The program provides preview function, so you can easily check how the conversion results will look like.

For HTML, you can use 'html2lrf' included in libprs500.
https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/
libprs500 also includes open source LRF viewer so you can check out the result before you buy Sony reader.

In addition, if you are interested in, I wrote some rather obvious tips on how I convert journal article PDF using PDFLRF.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16948

Hope this helps

Last edited by soilwork; 12-13-2007 at 03:36 AM.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:16 AM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I see www.datavis.com is offering the Sony for $269.00 now and free shipping
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:34 AM   #8
aabeg100
Enthusiast
aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aabeg100 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iRex Iliad
Hi,

I am a new PhD Student and as such I have to read a lot of scientific papers in pdf format. I bought iLiad and I think it is the best option to read papers, although it is expensive.(I spent all my savings on it but I dont regret the purchase.)

Anyways, The way I read is that as soon as I open the paper on my reader I zoom into it to such an extent that only small side margins are left and then I read the paper and comment on the small side margin with lighter pen. This way all the page contents are on screen infront of me and I dont have to transverse through the page to read it fully. I do ocasionally have to zoom in to see pictures clearly but thats a rarity.

This seem to be working great for me so far and I have read approximately 100 papers so far.... Far more than I was ever going to read on computer screen on by printing.

Hope this works

Asim
aabeg100 is offline   Reply With Quote