Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Russeliz
Russeliz began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Nook Touch?

Hello I am looking to buy the nook Touch because it can be rooted to use Android apps. Is this a good choice?
Russeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
as an ereader its a great choice but as a rooted android device? well it's eink and it doesn't have the refresh rate to truely make many of the apps enjoyable. Some will be fine though.

If you are looking for an inexpensive ereader to root to be an android tablet, I would recommend you go with the nook color.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeliz View Post
Hello I am looking to buy the nook Touch because it can be rooted to use Android apps. Is this a good choice?
Running apps on the nook touch is not a very good idea, as those apps are not optimized for eInk, meaning you get lots of flashing. Although rootable, the nook touch is not the best target for rooting.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
If you are looking for an inexpensive ereader to root to be an android tablet, I would recommend you go with the nook color.
This.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
as an ereader its a great choice but as a rooted android device? well it's eink and it doesn't have the refresh rate to truely make many of the apps enjoyable. Some will be fine though.

I agree, and if you can add another $150 beyond the cost of a Nook Color, you can get a sweet Eee Pad Transformer with a 10.1 inch IPS display running Android 3.0 stock.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
Russeliz
Russeliz began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Thank to all, But I am look for a Eink device with GOOD battery life and one that has good a pdf reader!!
Russeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Quote:
Thank to all, But I am look for a Eink device with GOOD battery life and one that has good a pdf reader!!
Fair enough. I think everyone considered your rooting desire to be more primary than it is, then. (The E Inks are just not going to be as much fun to root.)

Moving on to the new factors you mention:

Battery life on E Inks is generally high across the board.

PDF on any E Ink device, especially given the smaller screens, is not going to be ideal. PDF is really a page layout language designed for print, and ereaders do better with their native formats that are intended to support reflow by design. That said, Sony Readers do fairly well since they have Adobe's official Mobile PDF Reader software.

Last edited by hughes; 07-29-2011 at 08:16 AM.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
ahh Ok so yeah if you are looking to root it to give it some better PDF support and some other more eink friendly apps then yeah the nook STR will be a great and fun choice.

I think we mistook you for wanting a full blown android tablet at an ereader price.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote