Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
'Retina' (300dpi) eInk Display under development

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/05/1...etina_display/

"E Ink and Epson are to jointly develop a electronic paper panel with a "retina display" pixel density... almost.

[...]

The E Ink / Epson screen will have a 300ppi, but even that will make the current Kindle's 167ppi look low res.

It'll be bigger, though: an iPad-like 9.7in to the Kindle's six. The new screen's resolution will be 2400 x 1650, and monochrome.

E Ink will develop the display itself, Epson the chip that controls the screen.

Neither firm said when the screen will appear in e-book readers you can buy.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
That's interesting, although e-ink is already a "retina display" in the sense that you can't see the pixels.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
I can see aliasing effects on 170 dpi e-ink: effectively, I can see the pixels.
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
The problem with LCDs is that you can see spaces between the pixels. Either because there is a space between them or when 2 of the 3 elements are off.

On a so-so portable LCD screen, like in a Nintendo DS or PSP, you can see both pretty obviously. Not so much on the iPhone

You don't have that with e-ink - not only are there not 3 elements in each pixel, there's no space between the pixels.

And you've got to have pretty good eyes to see anti-aliasing on e-ink. It's only obvious to me on the blow up views. (Then again, I think you have a larger than 6" reader, maybe that's it?)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
What you say about the difference between the screen types is true. Yes, my screen is 6", but the letter size isn't influenced by that. I notice aliasing effects on, say, the diagonal components of an "A" when these lines are thin (so, smaller fonts are more of a problem). I suspect the e-ink display is running out of pixels and can no longer do a good job at anti-aliasing. It's not a big distraction for me--and some fonts are worse than others--but I can often see a small quality difference between a printed book and e-ink. I think printed books are 300 or 600 dpi.

Anyway... What I was getting at was that a 300 dpi screen may well look nicer than the current generation of displays. Probably not enough of a difference to make me want to upgrade, however. I think we're still at a stage where a contrast boost would be more useful than a resolution boost.
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Here's some video from the show in May where it was demoed (the 300dpi display is shown in the last segment, from 2:17:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpazF6ptq4o
The display shown is static unfortunately, and we don't get any idea of the display's speed, though he says it doesn't have the 'flash' (which may just mean they're using partial refresh).

If they can sell this display for a reasonable price I'd be very interested.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #7
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Higher resolution would be nice, but I agree that contrast is more of an issue. Though really, I'm pretty darned happy with the current display, and the flash doesn't bother me at all.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Higher resolution would be nice, but I agree that contrast is more of an issue. Though really, I'm pretty darned happy with the current display, and the flash doesn't bother me at all.
Maybe people bothered by the flash could learn to subconsciously blink during page turns.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
That definitely sounds interesting. I'd like to see one next to a couple other "non-retina" eInk'ers to see the differences.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Too bad the video was of such poor quality that we could not see the 300dpi screen all that well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
higher dot pitch would be helpful, particularly with smaller text sizes. As it is, there's too much antialiasing that happens, which negates the benefit of the contrast that is available now. I think the contrast is good enough with Pearl screens so higher density is the direction I'd like to see (provided it doesn't impact performance too much).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #12
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Flash is bad for concentration. French scientists proved it in their lab at Paris Jussieu university. Every flash distracts the brain.
So if this new screen does not flash, it is a great step forward.
The improved Fujistsu screen seems to have no flash as well :
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...r-screenvideo/
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
Flash is bad for concentration. French scientists proved it in their lab at Paris Jussieu university. Every flash distracts the brain.
So if this new screen does not flash, it is a great step forward.
The improved Fujistsu screen seems to have no flash as well :
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...r-screenvideo/
That slow crawl across the screen is even worse for concentration.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
the new screen would flash if it was set to do a full refresh ever time, just as with current eink displays in other current readers.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote