Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Iskander
Iskander began at the beginning.

Device: in search of a large reader for science articles
602/3 - 902/3 and bluetooth keyboard

I'm interested in buying a PB 603, but this depends critically on the following: I have a bluetooth foldable keyboard (thinkoutside stowaway), and would like to use it to write text in the PB 603. I know this model has bluetooth connectivity (like all 60x and 90x), but am not sure the combination would actually work.

Has anyone tried (or could anyone try) and tell me the outcome?
Iskander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
atango
Enthusiast
atango began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 902pro
As far as I know, there is no support for bluetooth keyboard. I tried it for 902, but it didn't work.
atango is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
Iskander
Iskander began at the beginning.

Device: in search of a large reader for science articles
Quote:
Originally Posted by atango View Post
I tried it for 902, but it didn't work.
Thanks for letting me know! I also got an answer from pocketbook technical service indicating that for the moment there were no plans to support bluetooth keyboards.
Iskander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Pocketbook put a lot of interesting hardware in their readers, too bad they don't know how to program it or what to do with it.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
well the bluetooth stack most likely can support this easily, how the device handles the input is another matter.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
well the bluetooth stack most likely can support this easily, how the device handles the input is another matter.
I'm sure this is the real problem in adding support for a bluetooth keyboard. It would have to seamlessly work through the software keyboard's interface, since that is how most applications currently get their character input. It sounds simple to implement, but the devil is in the details. The software keyboard is different in its behaviour from a real keyboard (it only appears when explicitly called, and goes away when you hit "enter", passing its data to a handler at that time). Software key presses are not real events like the device button presses are. Do you still show the software keyboard if there is a bluetooth one? If not, how do you echo the characters before "enter" is pressed and the data is sent to the handler?... I'm sure it is possible to get working, but I doubt it is trivial to do.

Last edited by rkomar; 02-28-2011 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Seemlessly -> seamlessly. Ugh.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #7
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

That said a bluetooth mouse might be easier to handle and give a nice boost especially for the models without touchscreen.

Another quite interesting idea with great potential would be a bluetooth ear-piece which at the very least could be used for listening but also to stop/start playback or TTS with the press of the button and even as a microphone to enable recording.

Yet another workable idea for the hackers out there is to make the device itself a bluetooth input device (keyboard/mouse) to control a paired pc via the buttons touchscreen (or the right models) or gestures (accelerometer) or a combination thereof.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
fantagol
fantagol began at the beginning.

Device: maybe PocketBook 903
and what about USB Keyboard?
fantagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
J.C.
Addict

It would require the device having a usb host, while not an authority on the matter personally I've not seen its mentioned that it does.

Edit: Except I seem to recall the 302 had a usb host, not sure about knowing how to handle a keyboard but at least it had the potential.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskander View Post
Thanks for letting me know! I also got an answer from pocketbook technical service indicating that for the moment there were no plans to support bluetooth keyboards.
Are you serious?? (seething inside, but not surprised)
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
J.C.
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
Are you serious?? (seething inside, but not surprised)
No surprise here either, I just hope the GiK will finally realize that opening the platform for development (with complete access) isn't something that can conceivably hurt them.

I'm a palm owner myself which i bought as an e-reading device and own 3 consecutive models, if they were still selling pda's or e-readers even without an e-ink screen it would have been a serious dilemma for me.

The reason being that palm-os development is open, even though it isn't open source, user can and have developed freely (even device drivers) for it.

Now I realize I'm exalting another platform but the only reason for it, is that the pocketbook Linux platform can be just a rich.

You just need to give a glimpse to the incredible variety of available software for palm-os, take into account the software available for Linux systems in general and realize the potential lost with every day delay.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
lalebarde
Connoisseur
lalebarde began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC daily edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskander View Post
I also got an answer from pocketbook technical service indicating that for the moment there were no plans to support bluetooth keyboards.
Some months ago, they told it will be there. Now it is the contrary. Too many promises for nothing at the end. Even the SDK may never be published, even if it has been promised for before the end of the month.....
lalebarde is offline   Reply With Quote