Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #3256
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If Astak is still planning on releasing a touchscreen device, I hope that they do not follow Sony's direction of sacrificing screen clarity/contrast for touchscreen capability.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #3257
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Touchscreen can lower screen clarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If Astak is still planning on releasing a touchscreen device, I hope that they do not follow Sony's direction of sacrificing screen clarity/contrast for touchscreen capability.

Just my opinion.
Dear John:

Well said. We all have talked in this thread many times on this problem. The situation is as follows:

1. The lack of clarity is caused by putting another layer of plastic on the very top of the screen (over the E-Ink) to provide the TouchScreen. I have heard that it decreases the reflectivity and clarity by about 30%.
2. There are a few technologies that seem to get around this by putting the TouchScreen under the E-Ink but they add to the cost (more expensive than traditional TouchScreen.
3. Our factories are working on the problem and TouchScreen devices are due to be released. I have no idea yet whether they will go traditional or employ the more expensive technology.
4. IF they go the new technology there is a problem. The average person will not CARE that it has the new technology... they will just think they are being overcharged! YOU would know we did the right thing; but others will not. Cost, as you know, is a major factor on eBook Readers. Look at the Pocket PRO... a drop in price of only $30 caught the attention of the press.
5. I have heard that the difference in cost between under the E-Ink and Over the E-Ink is about $40 (not firm yet).
6. One of the reasons for TouchScreen is it (sometimes) allows note-taking to be employed.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #3258
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
6. One of the reasons for TouchScreen is it (sometimes) allows note-taking to be employed.
1) Notetaking.
2) Easier searching.
3) Proofreading and marking a document (not editing, just marking the errors for editing elsewhere), so you can proofread anywhere instead of at your desktop.
4) Easier access to dictionaries.
5) Some puzzle type games (like Sudoku, etc).
6) Quicker/easier menu navigation/selection.
7) Web navigation for 3G-enabled devices.
8) etc.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #3259
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Small Flexible Screens?

This is a meant as a question about upcoming industry events rather than about a specific Astak product (trying to stay away from NDA information). I know that most of the 9.7" reading devices are waiting on the flexible screens that are coming this fall/winter since the usual glass ones are not considered feasible in that size. Will the same technology be applied to a 5" or 6" smaller screen sizes at about the same time? Or is that size on hold until the demand for the larger devices has calmed down a bit?

I think Robert addressed this topic somewhere in this thread quite a while ago, but I'm not sure where to look. And hopefully more information has been released by PVI.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #3260
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No knowledge of screen change needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post
This is a meant as a question about upcoming industry events rather than about a specific Astak product (trying to stay away from NDA information). I know that most of the 9.7" reading devices are waiting on the flexible screens that are coming this fall/winter since the usual glass ones are not considered feasible in that size. Will the same technology be applied to a 5" or 6" smaller screen sizes at about the same time? Or is that size on hold until the demand for the larger devices has calmed down a bit?

I think Robert addressed this topic somewhere in this thread quite a while ago, but I'm not sure where to look. And hopefully more information has been released by PVI.
Dear Sara:

I have heard not even a rumor that there is a need to change from glass screens on 5 inch or 6 inch. The 9.7 has a long verticle axis. That was the culprit on the 9.7 inch. Screens cracked ONLY because of a twisting motion caused by that long length. Without heavy reinforcement, the screen could crack from being twisted at the corners. For example, when packing it in an attache case with an old pair of rolled socks on the side. That might be enough while in transit to cause the twisting which cracked the screen.

Due to the short length of the 5 inch and 6 inch, there is enough rigidity that this twisting motion is not a problem. This does NOT mean that 5 and 6 inch cannot crack. It just will be something that the end user does or doesn't do (like walking around with the device out of the protectove case and then dropping it while maybe stepping on it and dancing the twist on it). PLEASE keep your EZ Reader and Pocket PRO in the case. It is made to protect and the flap folds back for easy reading.

The PVI Flexi screen resists successfilly the twisting motion on the 9.7 inch!!
Old 08-26-2009, 01:12 AM   #3261
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
SaraD:

Have a peek over at http://www.tombihn.com and see what Tom offers. I recently picked up a Tom Bihn Small Cafe Bag for the better -two-thirds and she loves it for the Kindle 1 and a few of her other necessaries during the day. There could also be a pack there that is the right size and what not for your reader and other needs as well. But we can tell ya first hand that the small Cafe Bag is wonderful for carrying around the K1 (in it's case) and her other odds and ends.

Overall Tom Bihn bags have proved to be the longest lasting and best/ethically made bags I have ever used. He has made noise about a carry bag/cover for ebook reading devices but they have a lot of irons in the fire, it's a crowded market already and to be honest unless they get requests to design a bag/cover it's risky at best. Best point of contact is Darcy on their boards but have found they respod very quickly to all inquiries via email a bit faster.
Thank you for the recommendation! I did take a look and will check back when I can justify a new bag for just me, which will be when I get to swap back to a small backpack from my new baby's diaper bag. For now I have the site saved in my favorites. Their Ruck's Sac is close to what I am looking for.

Part of my problem is I already have a backpack that is pretty much perfect for me and I want another one! It is an Eagle Creek and holds all my daily stuff, has space left for small purchases, padded back and straps for comfort, net pouches outside for sunglasses or a water bottle, and will fit my future e-book reader with case just fine as long as it is smaller than the forthcoming 9.7" devices. What makes is truly special to me is weighing only 13 oz (800 cu. inch capacity) and doing all of the above. Eagle Creek recently replaced all the zippers, but currently has nothing like it. Too many bags weigh far too much for just the bag before anything goes into it so I keep shopping. Years ago my grandmother complained of a back ache and her doctor put her purse on the scale - no wonder she hurt! I keep that in mind and make a habit of going through my bag when it feels heavy to see what I am actually carrying. Adding something to the bag as large as an e-book reader is a big decision.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #3262
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

3. Our factories are working on the problem and TouchScreen devices are due to be released. I have no idea yet whether they will go traditional or employ the more expensive technology.
Can you give a rough ballpark of when they will be available to consumers for purchase? The first post of this thread has a date of April 9, 2008 and also mentions touchscreens.

Thanks.

FWIW, I went with a 505 over a 700 because of clarity, price wasn't an issue. I would have prefered a touchscreen.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #3263
Robertb

April 9, 2008 was a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Can you give a rough ballpark of when they will be available to consumers for purchase? The first post of this thread has a date of April 9, 2008 and also mentions touchscreens.

Thanks.

FWIW, I went with a 505 over a 700 because of clarity, price wasn't an issue. I would have prefered a touchscreen.
Dear John F:

When that first post was done we had a different factory, had never even turned on an eBook Reader, and had no idea what a long road this would be.

As mentioned, there are problems with Touchscreen (they give a dim view). The Sony first experiment with Touch did NOT go well and was not popular.

ALL I know is that the factory has them planned. You missed this, John, but about a month ago we almost lost our contract because of my opening my big mouth on the Pocket PRO. Competitors read these threads and the factory had a fit. Under the NDA, I cannot really talk about a new model until we have release. This is because the factory hates rumors, is still trying to perfect the device, and letting out projected timelines one day makes them a "promised delivery date" the next.

I will say I am expecting wireless and Touch on the next models and I expect them relatively soon. I have seen the prototypes and they are gorgeous... an entire change in design.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #3264
SaraD
Groupie

Quote:
I will say I am expecting wireless and Touch on the next models and I expect them relatively soon. I have seen the prototypes and they are gorgeous... an entire change in design.
Wonderful! Hopefully they will compete with or surpass the appearance of the new Sony Touch and Daily Edition devices. The reasons I prefer a Netronix or Jinke made unit over many other choices are still present in the new Sony devices, but they are lovely. With all the new competition such as the Opus coming to market and other companies such as txtr giving press release dates there will be added incentives for Jinke and Netronix to get their new units ready for market. The wireless and touch control aspects do not interest me, but the updated design does.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:57 PM   #3265
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Lightbulb

Guys, MR has been kind enough to open a dedicated Astak Forum for us! Let's stop posting on this monster thread and have the question and answer thing as new entries in the new forum.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #3266
Robertb

Updated Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post
Wonderful! Hopefully they will compete with or surpass the appearance of the new Sony Touch and Daily Edition devices. The reasons I prefer a Netronix or Jinke made unit over many other choices are still present in the new Sony devices, but they are lovely. With all the new competition such as the Opus coming to market and other companies such as txtr giving press release dates there will be added incentives for Jinke and Netronix to get their new units ready for market. The wireless and touch control aspects do not interest me, but the updated design does.
Dear Sara:

I am finding this thread IN the new Astak Forum.

I am in complete agreement. I think that design is becoming as important as function.

I think it is time to get away from the square edges and general rectangle shape and new something new and different. We are trying. China is not quite as design-concious as the USA perhaps.

I know there is only so much that can be done. An oval shape is not that good in the hand. But I have seen a prototype of the new design and it looks much improved to me.

I will keep pitching for a major diffferent design if possible. The factory is a fiercely proud group and I do not want to seem to urge too strongly. Let me do as much as I can.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #3267
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
The sooner the better.

Quote:
Dear John F:

I've been reading various forums on this site for a month or so researching which device I will purchase. At this point I am despairing a 6-inch model coming out that is good quality at a good price. I was ready to purchase the new Sony 600 until I heard they didn't improve the screen very much over the 700 model. I cannot convince myself to buy the 5-inch screen, but have visions of settling for that because there are no good alternatives in the 6-inch models here in the US (Kindle is NOT a consideration). So far there are only rumors and vague promises of larger screen models on the horizon.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:12 AM   #3268
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Since we recently introduced the dedicated Astak forum, this "catch-all" thread has served its purpose.

This thread is read-only from now on; please use the Astak forum to post your new messages or questions.

Closed Thread

Tags
astak mentor, e ink, e-book reader, idpg show, touchscreen, wireless