Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 11-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm trying an audiobook on Hoopla for the first time and the playback speed option leaves something to be desired. I almost always prefer to listen to non-fiction at an increased speed and in this case the narrator speaks slowly anyway. Unlike my experience of faster playback speeds with the Audible, Downpour and OverDrive apps, however, the sound quality is off.. It's echoey, for want of a better word; roughly comparable to the sound of monaural recordings jiggered to mimic stereo.

It's not a deal-breaker, but it means I wouldn't choose Hoopla unless there were no reasonable alternative
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:06 PM   #17
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I'm giving up on Hoopla for now. I've tried for several days to get an audiobook downloaded to the app on my phone. There's plenty of free space, but the download fails. I think it's due to the wifi I'm using being slow at times and the download timing out.

I downloaded an audio book from Overdrive instead, no problems.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #18
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I love the selection of audiobooks they have on Hoopla and the fact that unlike Overdrive, the books are always available. No waitlists.

But the android bluetooth issue is a tough one to get around. I generally just listen while driving, so I cast from the phone to a little motorola speaker I have on my visor (I have an old car with just a radio and a cd player).

And the audio from this app is just no good. It sounds a little off and it stutters. I'm not picky and it isn't quite "unlistenable" but dang Hoopla would be such a great service if it worked properly.

I do not have any trouble with other apps. Scribd, Overdrive, Audible, music apps, etc all work fine. But Hoopla gives me problems. Good to know I am not alone, though it does not sound realistic to expect things to get better with a quick update given all the other gripes on the thread.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #19
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Can't "authenticate" with Hoopla today. How dare they take off a holiday
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Can't "authenticate" with Hoopla today. How dare they take off a holiday
I've been unable to borrow a book from Hoopla today through my FLP account and don't know if the problem is with Hoopla or FLP. Either way, it's annoying.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I've been unable to borrow a book from Hoopla today through my FLP account and don't know if the problem is with Hoopla or FLP. Either way, it's annoying.
That's the library I go through, too. I can log in on desktop and device, but can't even add a book to favorites. Well, it's not like I don't already have a lot of audio books I haven't listened to yet. But hopefully they will fix it tomorrow, if they're open.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:27 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I just went to Hoopla at one of my libraries and got this message:

Quote:
You cannot borrow any more titles this month. You don't have anything currently borrowed. If you did, it would be shown here.
The thing is, I haven't borrowed anything this year. So I went to the library and got this message:

Quote:
Due to 2017 budget reductions, Freegal and Hoopla are no longer being provided by Timberland Regional Library. If you have questions, please contact Ask-A-Librarian.
Now I have to see if it's available at one of my other libraries.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I successfully borrowed a movie from one of my other libraries.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #24
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FLP and Hoopla seem to be playing nice this morning. I borrowed a title without any trouble.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #25
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Same here. FLP must have gone off line or something.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I have the audio book downloaded to my Moto E2. I decided to go for a walk, which of course took me out of wifi range. After about 20 minutes I heard 2 notification-type sounds, and the book quit playing. It wanted me to log in. I don't think it stopped playing due to lack of wifi. But it was so weird that I couldn't restart it.

Once I got home I was annoyed to find there is not table of contents to be found. So my question is, has anyone found a TOC in Hoopla audio books? If so, how is it accessed?
Old 08-21-2017, 02:49 AM   #27
DaySleeper
Enthusiast
DaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toys

Device: MoonReader+ Android app on Samsung Galaxy S6 Lite and otherst
On my Galaxy Tab A (10") running Android 7, ebooks don't keep their display settings: the default font is huge on my tablet, so I changed it to a smaller one. When I resume reading, the changes haven't stuck: it shows up in a larger font, and not all of the text displays on screen. If I go back into the settings, after I reset the fontsize (which still appears in the settings to be the smaller font, not the larger one), it stalls out setting up the pages. I have to go back and forth like this several times, exiting and restarting the app, before I can get the font-size I want. This process takes several minutes before I can even get started reading. The book is downloaded to my SD card, but isn't in a format that other apps can read.
DaySleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #28
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I have the audio book downloaded to my Moto E2. I decided to go for a walk, which of course took me out of wifi range. After about 20 minutes I heard 2 notification-type sounds, and the book quit playing. It wanted me to log in. I don't think it stopped playing due to lack of wifi. But it was so weird that I couldn't restart it.

Once I got home I was annoyed to find there is not table of contents to be found. So my question is, has anyone found a TOC in Hoopla audio books? If so, how is it accessed?
I borrowed a couple of books from Hoopla the other day, after not using it for quite a while. I don't think there is any TOC; I was looking around at the online help files and can find nothing. I've been using the bookmark function to find my place, but I'd much rather have chapter breaks.

In looking around, though, I found out that Hoopla audiobooks can supposedly now be downloaded to an SD card instead of internal storage by changing the Hoopla settings. When I tried this, however, I got an error message to try my download again later; when I changed it back to internal storage, I was able to download. Maybe it was a temporary glitch; it would be great to be able to use all the space on the card.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:36 AM   #29
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I'm much happier with Hoopla now than when I tried it almost a year ago. The down load and playback via Bluetooth in my car actually worked this time, although rewind/fast forward via the car controls did not work. Basic playback was good, no complaints on audio quality.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #30
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hmm...maybe I'll give them another try. I don't expect anything of them, so I guess I can't be disappointed....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, hoopla