Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle 2
Bought a PRS 700 from Borders...miserable...now what?

"Glare? How bad could it possibly be?" I thought. "Seriously. The folks complaining about a bit of glare have to be exaggerating. The models at the store don't seem to have much of a glare problem."

Boy is my face red. Or maybe that's just from the tears running down my cheeks. After about an hour of playing with my brand new PRS 700 in a variety of lighting conditions, I'm ready to throw in the towel. It's _awful_.

To be able to read anything, I have to hold it exactly right. And the LEDs? I'd have thought Sony could spring for a small bit of frosted plastic to diffuse the light a bit rather than giving us four big bright blotches on each side of the screen.

So. The folks at Borders tell me that "oh no. we can't take returns of the Reader. You have to talk to Sony."

Has anyone before me done this dance? How out of luck am I? And if the answer is "completely," is anyone interested in an almost unused PRS-700 at a reasonable discount?

Thanks!
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I haven't, but I know other people have and hadn't had a problem. One of them will chime in.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Here is their return policy:
http://www.borders.com/online/store/...reinfo#returns

Quote:
Exchanges of opened audio books, music, videos, video games, software and electronics will be permitted subject to the same time periods and receipt requirements as above and can be made for the same item only.
So I would push for an exchange, then sell it online.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
if you are willing to ship outside of the US you should have no trouble selling it on ebay or in our flea market ; there are plenty of people not living in the US who would love to get one.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
icebear
rank noob
icebear began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 700
yeah. if you can't get a refund or exchange, put it on eBay... i saw one sold for $395 "buy it now" that was gone within 10 minutes of being listed. you may lose a little on it, but you sure won't get stuck with it.
icebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Heck, let it go to bid, with a reserve of $380, and see what you get -- I heard of Kindles going for several hundred dollars above their list price when they were new and nobody could get hold of one.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
"Glare? How bad could it possibly be?" I thought. "Seriously. The folks complaining about a bit of glare have to be exaggerating. The models at the store don't seem to have much of a glare problem."
Give it a day or two since it may just grow on you. I have been using the 700 since early November and read a lot of pages and hours on it and I cannot say I have been bothered by the glare.

I was so-so with the lights at the beginning, happy to have them, but being used with the strong backlight of the Nokia 770, they seemed sort of dim and uneven, and again they grew on me and now I actually like them a lot, especially in pitch dark.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Hmmmm ... yet another reason I would never purchase or recommend a Sony Reader.

I hope you are able to unload it without too much difficulty.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I have had multiple Sony readers (500, 505, 700), never had a problem to exchange or return them to Frys, Target or SonyStyle. It's the Borders policy, what does it have to do with Sony?
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I wonder if a different unit would look differently, glarewise? In the Border's store, does yours look the same as the model, or is it worse?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
It might be your reader is worse than most. Try checking it against the reader in the Borders like badgoodDeb suggests.

My husband has a 700 and does notice glare issues sometimes, but they really aren't too bad. I notice the difference in crispness between his 700 and my 505 much more than any glare problems.

Good luck getting your problem resolved!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post

I hope you are able to unload it without too much difficulty.

How is it Sony's fault?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #13
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
I purchased my 700 directly from Sony Style online. At the very first, I was a little put off by the darkness of the screen. Glare is and has never been an issue for me. I have learned to really love this reader. Flipping the pages on screen is very convenient.

Now, my husband decided he wanted a reader. So we went to Borders and picked the 505 because the screen was "whiter". Got home, the on/off button was broken. The 505 would NOT turn off, even fully charged. The little power toggle slide was barely on the machine. We took it back within about 4 hours, and got the same story. No return. I stood there, at the front of the store, and LOUDLY said. Ok. This is Unacceptable. I will not leave here without an exchange. You failed to notify me of this policy before purchase. This is tantamount to theft, to refuse to exchange an item they took my money for .... in the same day.... for a broken object. That to me is fraud. So, when I told them I would just park myself there until they found a person who could authorize the return, they decided I must be serious, and they exchanged it.

I really hate being made to behave that way. But it was a few days before Christmas. That was his Christmas present. I was going to get a new one. And I did.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfarrell View Post
I purchased my 700 directly from Sony Style online. At the very first, I was a little put off by the darkness of the screen. Glare is and has never been an issue for me. I have learned to really love this reader. Flipping the pages on screen is very convenient.

Now, my husband decided he wanted a reader. So we went to Borders and picked the 505 because the screen was "whiter". Got home, the on/off button was broken. The 505 would NOT turn off, even fully charged. The little power toggle slide was barely on the machine. We took it back within about 4 hours, and got the same story. No return. I stood there, at the front of the store, and LOUDLY said. Ok. This is Unacceptable. I will not leave here without an exchange. You failed to notify me of this policy before purchase. This is tantamount to theft, to refuse to exchange an item they took my money for .... in the same day.... for a broken object. That to me is fraud. So, when I told them I would just park myself there until they found a person who could authorize the return, they decided I must be serious, and they exchanged it.

I really hate being made to behave that way. But it was a few days before Christmas. That was his Christmas present. I was going to get a new one. And I did.
To play the devils advocate here, Borders has their return policy displayed in store and it's on the receipt.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #15
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Does the US not have *any* consumer protection laws at all?

Over here goods sold retail have to be fit for purpose and remain that way for a reasonable time (12 month minimum for most things, can be higher for goods a reasonable person would expect to last longer). So if it doesn't work when you buy it, that's trivial. I've also successfully returned things sans packaging despite claims to the contrary from shops. The easy start there is "give me a new one"... "oooh look, all the packaging you could possibly need". But for the plastic crud that you have to cut off, same deal, it still has a warranty and the shop can't contract out of it.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote