Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #61
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
I'm guessing he got it from an even more dubious source...
http://goodereader.com/blog/e-book-n...nd-kfx-support
Heh.

Actually, those guys ripped off my report (the one where I said that KFX support was added, but I can't see it).

My report was obviously wrong, but it made sense at the time given the hit or miss KFX support on other devices and the erroneous reports here on MR.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #62
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
I'm guessing he got it from an even more dubious source...
http://goodereader.com/blog/e-book-n...nd-kfx-support
The original zombie was here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Bad news... The current version of Kindle for PC handles KFX files and if you get them, you'll not be able to remove the DRM (if any) nor will you be able to convert them. So stick with a version Kindle for PC that does not contain Bookerly.
On the 29th -- a day before goodereader.

I suspect goodereader stole the (false) scoop from Jon...

This is really ironic.

EDIT: Okay, maybe not. It was indirect or something. Darn it.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-07-2015 at 03:27 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #63
james194zt
james194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texanjames194zt might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Voyage
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum but a lurker... Anyway I was bored tonight so I had a look at the KFX file just for fun for a purchased book that is not supposed to be DRM free.

It looks like we are looking at an encrypted file not just obfuscation, it is using AES with SHA2 256Kb hashes, exact spec is AES/CBC/PKCS5 according to the header file.

Not 100% sure what this file is but there is a "voucher" referenced in the main KFX file, this separate file appears to be some kind of license file from what you can gleam from a hex dump as there are fields such as "client restrictions" mentioned in it and the word purchase.

I can't gleam anything out of the file about what form of compression they are using I suspect the KFX file itself is an encrypted container so first step would be to get through the container and seeing what it contains. Obviously brute force is impossible as AES 256 is not exactly an easy one to crack, not without supercomputers, a time machine and a spare few trillion years on your hands to kill!

Hopefully once the format is supported on the Kindle PC app there is the possibility to attach debug tools and starting trying to break through its security by looking for vunerabilities in the app to exploit.

Probably not much help to you guys and there are far more experienced security people out there so its just me 2pence worth.
james194zt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #64
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Deleted. (Bad joke)

Last edited by jhowell; 09-07-2015 at 05:33 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #65
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Several people have reported that some books marked as "Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled" do not show the enhanced typesetting features on their devices. I decided to investigate this using two devices that support enhanced typesetting, a PW2 running firmware version 5.6.5 and the Kindle for iOS app version 4.10 on an iPad. On both devices I tested books from my Amazon account that show "Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled".

Only about 30% of the books in my Amazon account support enhanced typesetting according to their descriptions.

Of these, only about half download as kfx to the kindle. Examples of books that do not are On Basilisk Station and Veiled. I have tried deleting and re-downloading multiple times and the results are consistent for each book.

And only 75% of those that download as kfx to the kindle download as kfx to the iOS app. Examples of books that do not are Life on the Mississippi and The Last Praetorian. Looking that the files for these books on my kindle I found that all of these books contain the string "reflow-section-size" in their metadata.kfx file, while none of the books that download as kfx to the iOS app contain that string.

All of the books that download as kfx to the iOS app also download as kfx to the kindle.

Following is my speculation based on these observations.

It appears that Amazon developed an entirely new rendering engine and book format to support enhanced typesetting. In another thread it was reported that the old rendering engine gave poor performance when kerning was enabled. Perhaps the Lab126 engineers decided it was better to start over than to try to improve the quality and performance of that rendering engine.

Because this would be a huge undertaking they may have decided to implement it in phases. First, supporting the features most used by e-books and then later adding support for more exotic or difficult features.

It could be that the iOS app has an earlier generation of the rendering software, supporting books needing only the smallest subset of kfx features. The PW2 may have a newer rendering engine supporting additional features. The books that do not download as kfx for either may reflect the next unreleased version of the rending engine. Perhaps, after a few more iterations, the new rendering engine may be able to support most Kindle books.

ETA: As can be seen later in this thread some books I am unable to download in KFX format are specific to my account because I bought them previously. I will need to rethink my analysis of this.

Last edited by jhowell; 09-22-2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Add new information
Old 09-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #66
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I was told iOS uses an entirely different format: AZK and doesn't read AZW3/KF8. But it will read MOBI. Don't know about KFX.

Last edited by odamizu; 09-20-2015 at 12:40 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #67
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

The iOS app supports AZK (instead of KF8/AZW3) and MOBI, but it also supports KFX as of version 4.9, released May 21, 2015. When a book is downloaded in KFX format the enhanced typesetting features can be clearly seen, such as hyphenation at smaller font sizes and ragged right margin at larger font sizes.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #68
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
While I have seen a bunch of books that use the new typesetting there was never once a book that shows dropcaps for me. Granted most books I tried are older and released before the new typesetting. And I suspect they got automatically converted without the input of the publisher. For example Ghost Shadow and Soul of the Desert have enhanced typesetting (kerning, ligatures, hyphenation), but no dropcaps. On these books I am sure that Amazon decided on their own to enable the typesetting - Maria (self-pub) neither opted in or out. Asked her about it and all settings when uploading were the defaults - not all her books enhanced either.

I think the automatic conversion is only temporary until a kfxgen is released for everybody's use.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #69
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The iOS app supports AZK (instead of KF8/AZW3) and MOBI, but it also supports KFX as of version 4.9, released May 21, 2015. When a book is downloaded in KFX format the enhanced typesetting features can be clearly seen, such as hyphenation at smaller font sizes and ragged right margin at larger font sizes.
Ah, okay. I've noticed the enhanced typesetting on my iDevices, but I thought Amazon had tweaked the AZK. Didn't realize iOS apps were now receiving KFX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
... I think the automatic conversion is only temporary until a kfxgen is released for everybody's use.
Do we know with any certainty that kfxgen will be released for general use? Wondering if Amazon will keep KFX entirely in-house
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #70
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

My guess is that given the time, effort and cost that appears to have gone into developing and deploying KFX, Amazon plans for it to be something major, rather than just an optional format used on some devices. I suspect that once they complete development of it to the point where it supports all of the features using in existing books they will phase out MOBI and KF8 and eventually support only a single e-book format. At that point kfxgen may replace kindlegen as the means of preparing books for sale by Amazon. Time will tell.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
My guess is that given the time, effort and cost that appears to have gone into developing and deploying KFX, Amazon plans for it to be something major, rather than just an optional format used on some devices. I suspect that once they complete development of it to the point where it supports all of the features using in existing books they will phase out MOBI and KF8 and eventually support only a single e-book format. At that point kfxgen may replace kindlegen as the means of preparing books for sale by Amazon. Time will tell.
I doubt Mobi will go away as that is the format that is used on 1st, 2nd generation, and DX. KF8 won't be going away because the K3/KK, KT, Kindle Basic (all models) use KF8. In order for Mobi & KF8 to go away, Amazon would have to be able to add KFX to all models of Kindle. I don't think that's going to happen.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-20-2015 at 08:57 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:41 PM   #72
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, I fully expect that within the decade they will finally phase out mobi7.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, I fully expect that within the decade they will finally phase out mobi7.
That would be nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #74
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Of these, only about half download as kfx to the kindle. Examples of books that do not are On Basilisk Station and Veiled. I have tried deleting and re-downloading multiple times and the results are consistent for each book.
It's very very odd that On Basilisk Station doesn't download as kfx for you, as it most certainly does for me. I'm curious as to whether you owned the book before the new format was introduced, or whether you bought it afterward. If you owned it before, did you accept the update for the book through Manage Your Kindle on the Amazon website?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #75
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
It's very very odd that On Basilisk Station doesn't download as kfx for you, as it most certainly does for me. I'm curious as to whether you owned the book before the new format was introduced, or whether you bought it afterward. If you owned it before, did you accept the update for the book through Manage Your Kindle on the Amazon website?

Shari
I just tried it again and On Basilisk Station downloads to my PW2 as AZW3 and to my iOS app as AZK (JSON). I purchased it long before KFX was introduced. There is no update available on the Manage Your Content and Devices page. (And there haven't been updates listed for any of the other books that I purchased previously which are now available with enhanced typesetting and do download as KFX for me.)

There must be something different between my situation and yours. Would you mind comparing notes to see what may be different, if anything?

The book I am testing is On Basilisk Station by David Weber at amazon.com with ASIN B00ARPJBS0 purchased on March 9, 2013. I am using a Kindle PW2 with 5.6.5 firmware and an iPad Air 2 running Kindle for iOS 4.10.

ETA: I did another test: Delete the book from all of my devices, delete it from my Amazon account, sync all devices, verify that the book is no longer found on any device or in Manage Your Content and Devices, re-purchase the book (it is free). It again downloaded as AZW3 to my PW2.

Last edited by jhowell; 09-21-2015 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Add info