Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
The Hobbit at Feedbooks

The Hobbit is now available at Feedbooks. I didn't know it was in the public domain or available as an ebook. Did I miss something?
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
huh, it looks like the real one too (from the first few pages). it was only added today, you spotted it fast... i recommend you signal this to Hadrien.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
I recommend you signal this to Hadrien.
I've sent Hadrien a message, but it looks like the link is already down. Hadrien must have caught it himself.

They had Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War", Daphne De Maurier's "Jamaica Inn" and J. D. Salinger's "The Catcher In The Rye" as well. All of them seem to be down now.

Maybe someone who didn't know the rules uploaded them without realizing his mistake.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
I've sent Hadrien a message, but it looks like the link is already down. Hadrien must have caught it himself.

They had Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War", Daphne De Maurier's "Jamaica Inn" and J. D. Salinger's "The Catcher In The Rye" as well. All of them seem to be down now.

Maybe someone who didn't know the rules uploaded them without realizing his mistake.
all of that is quite probable, i think hadrien keeps a close eye on uploads. and someone could easily have uploaded them without realising it was not allowed. you've got an eagle eye though !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

Those hobbits are so small! They're difficult to spot, "since they have become rare and shy of the Big People, as they call us."

Sorry, I couldn't resist quoting Professor Tolkien on that one ...
Old 12-30-2008, 04:30 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Do you REALLY think it was "accidental"? I'm afraid that you have more faith in human nature than I do. I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that the uploaded knew damned well what he or she was doing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:42 AM   #7
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you REALLY think it was "accidental"? I'm afraid that you have more faith in human nature than I do. I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that the uploaded knew damned well what he or she was doing.
Hmmm, why would he/she do that then? When you know what you're doing you know your content wil be deleted in a flash. People who want to do that make a torrent of the books and go on a peer2peer network.
I can't see why they would upload on feedbooks........
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:46 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the simple answer is "because they can", Erwin. This isn't a case of someone downloading "legal" eBooks from somewhere and thinking "wouldn't it be nice of me to share these with others". All the books concerned had to have been illegally downloaded from somewhere, and that takes a deliberate act of will - it's not something that one does "accidentally".
Old 12-30-2008, 04:55 AM   #9
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
I think the simple answer is "because they can", Erwin. This isn't a case of someone downloading "legal" eBooks from somewhere and thinking "wouldn't it be nice of me to share these with others". All the books concerned had to have been illegally downloaded from somewhere, and that takes a deliberate act of will - it's not something that one does "accidentally".
But of course it's a deliberate act of will. But I sincerely doubt if a average 17 year old knows enough of copyright-laws (for books that is, I'm sure they all know it's illegal to download music and/or films) to know he shouldn't put a copy of 'The Hobbit' in the public domain.

But maybe you're right and I'm just naïve in that..........
Old 12-30-2008, 04:59 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

... or perhaps I'm just old and cynical .
Old 12-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #11
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Perish the thought! You are not that cynical!

- Donn, who has just dug himself out of a mountain of white fluffy crap* and a 10 day lack of Internet service and cable TV**.

* in my experience "white fluffy crap" (ie. snow) is called <expletive deleted> especially when it comes in seemingly unending amounts.

** I would like to say I am a better man for going without TV and the Internet for 10 days, but I can't. It just made me more a curmudgeon than HarryT***

*** I apologize Harry.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 12-30-2008 at 05:34 AM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:52 AM   #12
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Hadrien has two automatic blocks to prevent copyrighted books to be uploaded. First is by autor's death date, second is by publishing year of the book. You have to cheat on at least one to be able to upload such a book. Plus then the books will be manually checked before they are published.

I am astonished that those books could be uploaded at all.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:53 AM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
That makes two of us, then. How likely is THAT?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:05 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I think "The Hobbit" was first published in 1937, that's 71 years ago... it's not so strange that someone could think it might be out of copyright by now. In fact, it is not, because Tolkien died in '73, "only" 35 years ago.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #15
ErwinOtten
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I think "The Hobbit" was first published in 1937, that's 71 years ago... it's not so strange that someone could think it might be out of copyright by now. In fact, it is not, because Tolkien died in '73, "only" 35 years ago.
There you go......I'm not naïve, someone just misinterpreted the copyright laws