Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Picked up the Galaxy Note II

Well it finally happened my Galaxy phone just up and died. It never have me any problems then suddenly it just quit working. For some time I have been eyeing the note and recently the Nexus 4. I really wanted the note, but the price of the Nexus was so good for what you get, it's no wonder it's flying off of the shelf. For those who don't know the wait time for a Nexus is 4-6 weeks. Since i was without a phone I could not afford to be without a phone for 4-6 weeks.
So I decided to go for the note 2 and I'm loving it. The OS is buttery smooth, the quad core outperforms my wife's Transformer.

What I love most about it is the screen and the pen. Because of the two I'm able to do work on this phone that was never possible. I'm thoroughly enjoying reading because of the screen resolution and screen size. The speed of the processor makes pinch to zoom painless. For me the phone hits a happy medium where the screen size is big enough to read most books and small enough to carry in a Jean pocket.

I guess in an odd way I'm kind of glass the Nexus was sold out, else I would have never picked up this phone.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Congratulations! Enjoy your new device.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Enjoy the phablet.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Well it finally happened my Galaxy phone just up and died. It never have me any problems then suddenly it just quit working. For some time I have been eyeing the note and recently the Nexus 4. I really wanted the note, but the price of the Nexus was so good for what you get, it's no wonder it's flying off of the shelf. For those who don't know the wait time for a Nexus is 4-6 weeks. Since i was without a phone I could not afford to be without a phone for 4-6 weeks.
So I decided to go for the note 2 and I'm loving it. The OS is buttery smooth, the quad core outperforms my wife's Transformer.

What I love most about it is the screen and the pen. Because of the two I'm able to do work on this phone that was never possible. I'm thoroughly enjoying reading because of the screen resolution and screen size. The speed of the processor makes pinch to zoom painless. For me the phone hits a happy medium where the screen size is big enough to read most books and small enough to carry in a Jean pocket.

I guess in an odd way I'm kind of glass the Nexus was sold out, else I would have never picked up this phone.
=X=

Congrats and please do keep us informed of your take on it.

What work can/are you doing that relies on the stylus? Are you _required_ to use the stylus or can you finger/fingertip/fingernail it?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Are you _required_ to use the stylus or can you finger/fingertip/fingernail it?
It's still a capacitive screen, so you can use your finger like other phones. The stylus has advantages, like pressure sensitivity and this "hover" thingy where you get previews by hovering the stylus over items like picture thumbnails and movie files.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I checked out a couple of the CNET reviews. Looks like a nice one, maybe my next one (or it's successor) after my SIII contract is up ... still over a year on it...

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-35426722.html
Old 12-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Congrats!

My first choice for my next phone (other than the $3,000 samsung android flip phone) is something in the sub 3" category, like an xperia mini.

My second choice is a Galaxy Note 2. I figure if I'm gonna be forced into a big phone by a lack of serious small options, I might as well go all the way.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Congrats and please do keep us informed of your take on it.

What work can/are you doing that relies on the stylus? Are you _required_ to use the stylus or can you finger/fingertip/fingernail it?
So far I'm really impressed it has either matched or exceeded my expectations. I really did not think this device could replace my nook but it has. I do admit it is a bit large, in an awkward way and making calls do take a bit to get use to.

I do have some minor dislikes. I do not like the button it's just something else to break and does not fit the design.

I used the pen to draw/sketch a part I want made for a product. While a capacitive pen does work it is not as accurate as the wacom pen. The pen seems to have a .7mm tip which makes drawing much easier.

The hover feature is awesome! One large oversite the tablet/phone device have is there is no mouse over features. A good amount of websites use this features to display menus and such. Prior to the note it was a pain if even possible to get to those menus. With the note I use the mouse to mouse over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Congrats!

My first choice for my next phone (other than the $3,000 samsung android flip phone)
Ha ha thx. What a coincidence that was also my first choice
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
mizzlia
mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook tablet 8gb, samsung galaxy tab 10.1 wifi 32gb
Glad u love the device i cant wait to get mine
mizzlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #10
rjmac
Connoisseur
rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
A question - I am considering the purchase of a 7 inch tablet, but realise I will need to carry a phone and a tablet. Is the Galaxy Note good enough to do both jobs so I only need to carry one device?
rjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How is the battery life? Colleague of mine at work has the original Note and gets very poor battery life from it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #12
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
I got mine just yesterday. Still playing with it so the battery life won't settle down just yet
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
I got mine just yesterday. Still playing with it so the battery life won't settle down just yet
Woo-Hoo! Settle down and give us your impressions!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmac View Post
A question - I am considering the purchase of a 7 inch tablet, but realise I will need to carry a phone and a tablet. Is the Galaxy Note good enough to do both jobs so I only need to carry one device?
I think that's the intent.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmac View Post
I'd have a look at the Note and make up your own mind. Many people like it, but for me personally it's ludicrously large to carry around as a phone. Perhaps for a woman who carries it in her handbag it would be OK, but for mens' pockets - no. Not for me, at any rate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote