Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Unfortunately, You have to weed through many amazon reviews before you get to one or two that are balanced.... such is life...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #17
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
I think that the OP was referring to the "verified purchase" criterion. Someone who hadn't purchased from Amazon but still wanted to review the book.
Why would you think that? It says nothing about that.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #18
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
(if..ahem...anything actually has....)

One is definitely missing from my book, and I have never paid anyone for any review. I just wish I kept a log of them or something so I would know WHICH one disappeared. I just know I had 30, and now I have 29.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #19
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
It could be possible that someone removed their own review. If you go in on your profile there, you have the ability to delete your reviews. Perhaps someone decided to start their own book blog and pulled all their reviews off Amazon. Or maybe there was something in the review that made it clear that the person hadn't read the book and someone reported it.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #20
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
What should be removed are 1-2 star reviews that are given because of delivery problems. Just because a book arrived 2 days late it shouldn't be given one star.
I desperately wish that people introducing any factors at all not having to do with the book into their "reviews" were automagically banned from ever posting another. After all, if you're incapable of grasping that you're supposed to be reviewing the book and not Amazon, Whispernet or the postal service, then you're very likely too dimwitted to contribute anything of value anyway.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #21
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
I desperately wish that people introducing any factors at all not having to do with the book into their "reviews" were automagically banned from ever posting another. After all, if you're incapable of grasping that you're supposed to be reviewing the book and not Amazon, Whispernet or the postal service, then you're very likely too dimwitted to contribute anything of value anyway.
Yeah, there's that.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #22
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Or, I love the one on my page that says basically "I hate sci fi, and this is a sci fi book so it sucks," and he gave it 2 stars. Come on really? You did not notice that you were in the sci-fi section when you bought it? Grrrr.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #23
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
The opposite side of that is that the reviews for different versions are aggregated. If the Kindle conversion is terrible but the book is good, the Kindle version will be over-scored, and the paper versions will be dragged down by the conversion.

Personally, I'll always check the dissenting reviews. If the complaint is something stupid, it won't put me off. (If the dissenting reviews are the good ones, I'm probably not planning to buy the book. )
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #24
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Or, I love the one on my page that says basically "I hate sci fi, and this is a sci fi book so it sucks," and he gave it 2 stars. Come on really? You did not notice that you were in the sci-fi section when you bought it? Grrrr.
I recently got my poorest review so far...two stars. The complaint was the piece was too short and light.

The piece is listed on Amazon as 18-page brief introduction to the topic. I'm not sure how long and deep the reviewer expected an 18 page brief introduction to be. Oh well.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #25
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Why would you think that? It says nothing about that.

No?

What is this? "the review didn’t say Amazon verified purchase"

It was the first item on the list of reasons suggested in that article.

Last edited by DarkScribe; 07-18-2012 at 11:19 AM.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #26
ApK

Quote:
No?

What is this?
It is a totally out of context mention of a unsubstantiated guess from earlier in the piece with no connection to the section I quoted. And if that WAS the writers intention to link the part I quoted with that, then I'm doubly of suspicious of the writers composition abilities, and their ability to make arguments and draw conclusions.

ApK
Old 07-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #27
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
It is a totally out of context mention of a unsubstantiated guess from earlier in the piece with no connection to the section I quoted. And if that WAS the writers intention to link the part I quoted with that, then I'm doubly of suspicious of the writers composition abilities, and their ability to make arguments and draw conclusions.

ApK
Ok, I get it. Unsubstantiated suspicion is ok, but unsubstantiated suggestions as to possible reasons for a review being removed aren't. I'll try to remember that.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #28
ApK

Quote:
Ok, I get it.
No, I see no indication of that.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:54 AM   #29
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:

ApK
I agree that the sentence you refer to (starting "But what if someone got the book from a library or borrowed it from a friend?") does not follow as any sort of conclusion from the immediately preceding paragraph - as the "But" would have you expect. So yes, that is a definite fault.

However there is the paragraph "If removing reviews does have to do with Amazon verified purchases ..." just a short distance above, in the same section of the post, so the context was present and (I thought) easily understood. It just needed an editor to tidy it up a bit, though I'm not sure how common place it is to get blog posts professionally edited. I know that I did not go to extremes editing this post, so there could be some (hopefully minor) faults.

Last edited by gmw; 07-19-2012 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Editing :)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #30
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I agree that the sentence you refer to (starting "But what if someone got the book from a library or borrowed it from a friend?") does not follow as any sort of conclusion from the immediately preceding paragraph - as the "But" would have you expect. So yes, that is a definite fault.

However there is the paragraph "If removing reviews does have to do with Amazon verified purchases ..." just a short distance above, in the same section of the post, so the context was present and (I thought) easily understood. It just needed an editor to tidy it up a bit, though I'm not sure how common place it is to get blog posts professionally edited. I know that I did not go to extremes editing this post, so there could be some (hopefully minor) faults.
Yes, quite. However, there are two factors that make a blog post like that very different than a post here, and make the minor error significant in context.

1. It's professional writer (a "Master Wordsmith", in fact) writing about writing professionally. To be taken seriously, that should be held to a higher standard than a bunch of folk conversationally chatting on a forum.
I expect my son to get a better haircut from a barber than if he let's his little sister try it at home....(don't ask....)

2. The message of the article seems to be "Is Amazon doing something evil here? Question Authority, people!"

Even if the reference to the Verified Purchase issue was coherently placed, it's utterly irrelevant, and raises no concern worth questioning.
Amazon never said that was the reason, there's no reason to suspect that was the reason (not even an indication that the supposedly removed reviews WEREN'T by Verified Purchasers, so why waste electrons writing about arguments against that being the reason? It's a red herring at best, FUD-mongering at worst, and a sign of less than compelling reasoning in any case.

Combine the two, and I stand by my original (and hardly earth-shattering) opinion: I'm suspicious of that author's claims.