Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 03-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #46
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
Krittika,

Thanks for listing my novels on Openbooks. I'm proud to be DRM-free and happy to be included.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #47
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Thumbs up The Losing Role.

Just to say that I've just finished Steve's "The Losing Role", and I heartily recommend it.
A definite cut above - and away from - the usual hu-hum "War" stuff, an intruiging story very well written.
Characters are very well realised, and the main character, Max, who made the wrong decision at a stage in his life - or did he ?- is totally believable. Relationships created in, and by, an extraordinary situation, are nicely drawn, and the "action" details very realistic and well researched - and are there because they need to be , not just because it's about time there were a few explosions and violence.
One particular passage covering a nightmare ride "on the tails" of a Panzer attack is one that stuck in my mind, rather like a Don McCullin photo behind my eyeballs.
The fact that the operations covered in the story actually happened, is a good thing to bear in mind when reading it - because, as Max might have said, if you'd 've put it on a stage, no-one would believe it !
Very very good - and a "ripping" yarn.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #48
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Just to say that I've just finished Steve's "The Losing Role", and I heartily recommend it.
A definite cut above - and away from - the usual hu-hum "War" stuff, an intruiging story very well written.
Characters are very well realised, and the main character, Max, who made the wrong decision at a stage in his life - or did he ?- is totally believable. Relationships created in, and by, an extraordinary situation, are nicely drawn, and the "action" details very realistic and well researched - and are there because they need to be , not just because it's about time there were a few explosions and violence.
One particular passage covering a nightmare ride "on the tails" of a Panzer attack is one that stuck in my mind, rather like a Don McCullin photo behind my eyeballs.
The fact that the operations covered in the story actually happened, is a good thing to bear in mind when reading it - because, as Max might have said, if you'd 've put it on a stage, no-one would believe it !
Very very good - and a "ripping" yarn.
Carpetmojo,

You just made my day. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book but also that you really got what I was going for. It's tough for us indie authors to reach readers, but when we do it makes it all worthwhile. Your comparison to war photographer Don McCullin and gritty realism moved me.

I wish I could say the follow-up — The Liberator, which follows Max's younger brother as a US Captain pursuing a murderer in Occupied Germany — is coming out soon, but my agent has it and is seeking a publisher. Encouragement like yours is compelling me to put that one out myself too.

I appreciate it, and thanks for reading.

Best,
Steve
Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #49
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Look forward to it, Steve, good luck, & happy writing !
Old 04-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #50
Steve Anderson
Addict

Giveaways for The Losing Role | WWII Espionage Thriller

EBook giveaway alert: The top three thrillers rated highest at Stimulated Outlet Book Reviews are up for grabs, including my historical thriller The Losing Role. Have at em!:

http://www.stimulatedoutlet.com/2011...threebies.html

Goodreads is also hosting a giveaway, but that one's for the print book:

http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...he-losing-role

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #51
Steve Anderson
Addict

I'd like to share some handy book sites along with news about my historical/WWII espionage thriller The Losing Role:

UK Kindle readers, Daily Cheap Reads UK lists novels for £6 or less. Featured recently, The Losing Role — currently discounted at 71p:

http://dailycheapreads.co.uk/2011/04...-spy-thriller/

UK Kindle readers have been taking an interest. This week the book made top ten in the Spy Stories & Tales of Intrigue and War categories for Kindle, and the Spy Stories category for all books. It's been holding its own alongside my author heroes John Le Carré, Alan Furst, Philip Kerr and others.

For US readers, Four Stars and Up lists only those Kindle books that average four stars and up on at least ten reader reviews. The prices are right too. The Losing Role made the cut and is listed as a "hidden gem," so check it out while you're there:

http://www.fourstarsandup.com/post/4...steve-anderson

Shameless plugs aside, I hope these sites help you find books you like.

Also, the book received a nice review this week from Rose City Reader. My favorite quote:

"The Losing Role is a terrific book that deserves a wide audience. It is exciting and funny and keeps you thinking long after the action is over." You can read the whole review here:

http://www.rosecityreader.com/2011/0...sing-role.html

Remember, the book's currently only 99 cents / 71 p.

Thanks, cheers and happy reading,
Steve
Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #52
Steve Anderson
Addict

The Losing Role is featured today at Indie Books Blog along with a mini interview about the book. My take on the story: "Caught between two worlds colliding can really suck."

Here's the full link:

http://indiebooksblog.blogspot.com/2...-anderson.html

Thanks, I hope you'll check it out.

Happy reading,
Steve
Old 05-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #53
Steve Anderson
Addict

There's a new interview with me at the first-rate Scene of the Crime blog, where I discuss The Losing Role, my writing and self-publishing. I get to hold company with major traditionally published crime writers such as Steve Berry, Tess Gerritsen, Iris Johansen and more:

http://jsydneyjones.wordpress.com/20...he-fog-of-war/

It's rare to see a self-publisher on a blog like this. Hopefully they won't call the bouncer and throw me out! ; )

Blog author J. Sydney Jones has an outstanding historical fiction series set in 1890s Vienna, beginning with The Empty Mirror -- his books are worth checking out.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 05-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #54
carpetmojo
Wizard

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Anderson View Post
EBook giveaway alert: The top three thrillers rated highest at Stimulated Outlet Book Reviews are up for grabs, including my historical thriller The Losing Role. Have at em!:

http://www.stimulatedoutlet.com/2011...threebies.html

Goodreads is also hosting a giveaway, but that one's for the print book:

http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...he-losing-role

Thanks,
Steve
Damn !! Just caught up with this - too late !!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #55
Steve Anderson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Damn !! Just caught up with this - too late !!
Carpetmojo, sorry you missed it. I love the enthusiasm though. Tell you what -- I'm going to PM you, see if I can reward you for the interest.

I appreciate it,
Steve
Old 05-24-2011, 12:08 AM   #56
Steve Anderson
Addict

The Losing Role just got curated: my quirky WWII espionage thriller is now approved by the Indie 180, a select list of self-pubbed books that applies standard criteria such as reviews, sales ranks, blogs, tweets, forums and opening pages to identify novels that appear to be "worth reading." Here's the link:

http://www.thebookorbust.com/p/indie-500-book-list.html

I hope you'll check it out and find other novels there, too.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #57
Steve Anderson
Addict

The Losing Role is currently available at 50% OFF during Smashwords' Summer Sale. The offer ends Sunday, July 31 -- one week from today. Here's the link:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/11265

Old 07-26-2011, 02:41 AM   #58
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks Steve. Had this on my wish list for a long time. Snapped it up at 50% off.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #59
Steve Anderson
Addict

Hey, you're welcome. Great to hear it, caleb72. I hope you enjoy the read.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #60
Steve Anderson
Addict

The Losing Role got a favorable and well-written review from Red Adept Reviews. Reviewer Jim Chambers gave the historical espionage thriller a rare five stars — his average rating in four standardized categories.

Chambers has in-depth knowledge of the volatile and brutal time that was the bitter last months of World War II, and the novel passed his scrutiny there too. As for the story, he sums up: "The Losing Role was a perfect combination of plot-driven action and character study." Here's the full link:

http://redadeptreviews.com/the-losin...teve-anderson/

The review also includes an interview, which I'm posting here:

How did you come up with the title?

The main character, Max Kaspar, is a German actor who tried making it in America but made the tragic choice of returning to Germany in the late 1930s. By the time the book begins, late in WWII, Max has been drafted and forced to go on a senseless secret mission in which he has to play an enemy American officer. So there you have it — not a great situation to be in.

How long have you been writing?

I’ve been writing fiction for almost fifteen years, but much of the early writing was just learning how to do it. I thought I was going to become a history professor, so I had to un-learn a lot of what I was doing.

What authors have inspired you?

It varies. I’d say anyone from John Steinbeck to Patricia Highsmith, Graham Greene to John Le Carré. Martin Cruz Smith. Alan Furst for the historical detail. Charles McCarry for the craft. Elmore Leonard for the humor. I admire James Lee Burke for his writing but also because I read once that he went nine years without finding a publisher, and just kept on writing and perfecting his storytelling. There are more, of course.

Where did you get the idea for the novel?

I read an article that gave the real story behind a so-called infamous secret mission the Germans’ devised for the Battle of the Bulge in late 1944, whereby English-speaking German soldiers impersonated American units behind the lines and were supposed to wreak havoc. In legend it was a frightening and deadly ploy. But the reality was totally different. Many could barely speak English and the few who could well had been waiters, dancers, writers, and students and were far from ideal soldiers let alone crack terrorists. The whole operation was pretty much a disaster. Something about the absurdity of it all appealed to me. It’s definitely not a war or military novel in the traditional sense, but more of a character-driven noir thriller.

Who is your favorite character?

Max Kaspar, definitely. I’m always drawn to characters who are stuck between two worlds and in over their heads with a plan that’s doomed to fail, but they stick with it anyway. That would be Max, for sure.

Tags
espionage, fiction, historical, thriller, wwii