Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Code:
</HEAD>
<BODY LANG="en-US" TEXT="#000000" LINK="#0000ff" VLINK="#800080" DIR="LTR">
<table width=80% border=0 ALIGN="center"><tr><td>
That right there makes it one big table. Plus the tables that are supposed to be there needed work for fix them up like I said before. How are they displayed on the Gen3? All I have to work with is Mobipocket Reader.
Maybe I am looking at the wrong book. Is it Maelstrom from Feedbooks in MobiPocket format you are talking about?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The code I pasted came from the HTML direct from the Peter Watts website. I don't know if Feedbooks did any messaging of the HTML so you no longer see what was there. But if you were to look at the original HTML, you'd be appalled at it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanfan View Post
Great! I'm looking forward to the Mobipocket version.
Turns out the Mobipocket edition will have to wait a day. I just finished the LRF edition mark 2. I popped the HTML into Mobipocket Publisher and it needs to have page breaks put in some places and links to the first page, ToC, and the cover. That should not take too long. Thanks to Harry's tutorial, I can sort out the HTML fairly easily.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:30 AM   #19
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
But if you were to look at the original HTML, you'd be appalled at it.
Tell me about it. I sat down late yesterday evening with the foolish notion of "I'll just pop those Peter Watts novels through BD to make myself a nice set of FB2s before I head to bed".

Two hours and a lot of manual editing later, I had two of the four books finished. :-(
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:48 AM   #20
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
The code I pasted came from the HTML direct from the Peter Watts website. I don't know if Feedbooks did any messaging of the HTML so you no longer see what was there. But if you were to look at the original HTML, you'd be appalled at it.
OK, I looked at the HTML code in the mobi file from feedbooks and that did not have this problem. So what was wrong with feedbooks html code in the epub directory? It seems a good thing to use that as a basis for conversion because then you can contribute your enhancements of the html back to feedbooks.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Take a look at the original code and you'll see... http://www.rifters.com/real/shorts/Maelstrom.zip

If you look at the PRC and read my comments, you'll see what's wrong.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Now I have the Mobipocket and EB1150 versions up as well as the newer LRF version.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Hadrien have you taken a look to see what the problem is in the two tables I've previously pointed out? The version of Maelstrom on Feedbooks has this problem. I have checked the ePub, the PRC, and the PDF to be sure. Also, in some sections, the book uses a different font to mean different things like in "stockpile" section when the computer is talking to the person. The computer's voice should be sans serif. But given a device like the EB1150 that cannot handle different fits, it's come out where the computer text is normal and the person's text is bold and that works. Can ePub have different fonts? My guess is the messaged HTML has been changed just enough to cause these problems.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #24
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Hadrien have you taken a look to see what the problem is in the two tables I've previously pointed out? The version of Maelstrom on Feedbooks has this problem. I have checked the ePub, the PRC, and the PDF to be sure. Also, in some sections, the book uses a different font to mean different things like in "stockpile" section when the computer is talking to the person. The computer's voice should be sans serif. But given a device like the EB1150 that cannot handle different fits, it's come out where the computer text is normal and the person's text is bold and that works. Can ePub have different fonts? My guess is the messaged HTML has been changed just enough to cause these problems.
ePub can embed fonts so these kind of things are possible, yes.
On Feedbooks, we use something similar to bbcode right now to represent the formating of the books. Because most e-books have very poor support for tables, I haven't added a table element yet.
I'm gonna work on this in March I guess, we'll use something very similar to the DTBook vocabulary overall. Once this is done, I'll work on a "sexy" way to edit books, probably using Ajax or Flash (Flex ? AIR ?).
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So can you fix the tables or do they have to remain as is for now?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #26
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
So can you fix the tables or do they have to remain as is for now?
I'll fix them as soon as we've added the table element on Feedbooks. Right now I'm working on the covers and a few UI improvements, I'll work on the bbcode right after this.

We really need to exchange a few words together with all the people uploading books here too, I'd like to make Feedbooks as easy as possible for people working currently with Book Designer.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I really don't want these great reviews to get lost over time in a forum so I have decided that the wiki is a good place to keep them where people can find them. I have taken the liberty to copy this review into the wiki as an example (I hope this is ok with Carandol)

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Category:Book_reviews

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #28
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Good idea Dale, an additional page on the wiki for the reviews will be useful.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #29
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
To quote myself here a couple of weeks ago:

Quote:
I was wondering what others thought of the idea of starting a section *just* for reviews, with discussion of those reviews perhaps in a different thread.
So, yes, it suits me! Though I was hoping more people might have joined in by now. Perhaps an announcement on the front page for people who haven't been following the thread?
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
To quote myself here a couple of weeks ago:

So, yes, it suits me! Though I was hoping more people might have joined in by now. Perhaps an announcement on the front page for people who haven't been following the thread?
OK I will start a special thread but I suspect most will see it here anyway.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote