Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
OT-ish: Calibre in VirtualBox/Linux running Windows XP Client

I've just installed my first virtual machine environment. My base OS is Fedora 13, with a virtual instance of Windows XP as the guest OS. It's nifty (once you get past the 4 hours of Windows Update).

That said, it's not recognizing my Kindle, at all. I know it's not Calibre's fault (hence the OT in the subject), because the Kindle isn't available to the guest OS to browse when plugged in via USB. If it was Calibre having problems, I would still be able to browse the files on the Kindle.

From searching the forums I have seen other people running virtual machines with Calibre, so I expect their readers would work as well (is this a bad assumption???) I was hoping someone more experienced with VirtualBox might be able to point me in the right direction?
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to proper forum.

I know some virtualizing software allows passing through of USB devices. Is that an option?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Moved to proper forum.
I know some virtualizing software allows passing through of USB devices. Is that an option?
Thanks for moving this .

I believe VirtualBox allows it, to confirm I'll google for VirtualBox and USB passthrough and see if that brings up anything useful....
Old 04-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
Thanks for moving this .

I believe VirtualBox allows it, to confirm I'll google for VirtualBox and USB passthrough and see if that brings up anything useful....
Doh! Why not run the Linux version of Calibre?
Or is this one of those 'Cuz I can do it!' things
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Gwen Morse
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Doh! Why not run the Linux version of Calibre?
Or is this one of those 'Cuz I can do it!' things
I do run the Linux version. But, I can't remove the DRM from my Amazon ebooks that way, I need to boot into Windows to run Kindle For PC.

I'm learning about Virtual Machines as a way to get away from having to boot into Windows, ever again. I plan to use a final Windows 7 version to play games and deal with Windows-only DRM (Netflix, Amazon Unboxed, etc). This Windows XP setup is just the sandbox for me to play in, break things, fix things and learn How Things Are Done.

As far as using a Virtual Machine in general, yah, that's probably mostly "Cuz I can do it". I have too many Windows games I'm fond of that aren't working under wine and I've gotten tired of switching between OSes. I could keep booting in one or the other, but, I don't wanna .
Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I do run the Linux version. But, I can't remove the DRM from my Amazon ebooks that way, I need to boot into Windows to run Kindle For PC.

I'm learning about Virtual Machines as a way to get away from having to boot into Windows, ever again. I plan to use a final Windows 7 version to play games and deal with Windows-only DRM (Netflix, Amazon Unboxed, etc). This Windows XP setup is just the sandbox for me to play in, break things, fix things and learn How Things Are Done.

As far as using a Virtual Machine in general, yah, that's probably mostly "Cuz I can do it". I have too many Windows games I'm fond of that aren't working under wine and I've gotten tired of switching between OSes. I could keep booting in one or the other, but, I don't wanna .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:31 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
And running Windows in a virtual box offers enough performance for playing games? I'd imagined that for relatively recent games, you'd need to dual boot in order for them to run smoothly. The only real experience I have with VMs for gaming is ScummVM, and I run that on my cellphone, so it doesn't count
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:50 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
A year ago (or so) when I last played with virtualbox, I had to use the non-OS version to get USB pass-through to work. Don't know if that is still the case, or if you are already running the non-OS version.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
At least in Windows you have to run an add on pack to get the usb ports to work, as I understand it. They provide it on the site.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
Gwen Morse
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
At least in Windows you have to run an add on pack to get the usb ports to work, as I understand it. They provide it on the site.
Yes, I've discovered they've separated out several drivers into an add-on. Downloaded and installed it.

I wanted the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack.

Now my Kindle shows up but it's greyed out. At least I've made progress.