Oh No. 49 18.85%
Part of me wants it, the other doesn't 36 13.85%
Touchscreen is the answer. 31 11.92%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #31
kolk
kolk began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'd buy the Kindle in an instant if it had no keyboard. the iPad has no e-ink, so I won't buy that one. the Kindle is so ugly, & the keyboard all I do not want, so I'm not buying that one either. A kindle without keyboard I would pay for, above one with.
kolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #32
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
The ALT key is a numlock? Just press it once and enter all the numbers you want? Well it sure isn't a numlock on my K3. I have to press it or hold it down in order to get numbers off that top row.
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #33
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
hmm i'm torn. no keyboard means bigger screens...but when i'm writing, i do enjoy the feel of a physical keyboard. plus, the touch keyboards always somehow makes me slip and then i press some other key and it's very annoying i guess people with big fingers are not made for touch ; -;
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #34
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I don't use the keyboard for anything except search. That keyboard is so horrible I can't imagine taking notes or doing anything with it.

I want an additional choice: el cheapo kindle. No keyboard, no touchscreen, shrink that sucker down, lighter background screen, drop the price. There's my kindle.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #35
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
Keyboard please
Do not like touch screens, they get so smeared with fingerprints too easily. And cleaning them is a complete pain.
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #36
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I find the keyboard is very fast with thumbs. It is less prone to error as a touch screen can misread sometimes. I know with my NC I often backspace as it misread when I typed. No such problem with kindle. HOWEVER. I rarely use it.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #37
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie View Post
Keyboard please
Do not like touch screens, they get so smeared with fingerprints too easily. And cleaning them is a complete pain.
This is what I agree with. I'm probably a bit anal when it comes to having a clean screen, so the last thing I want on my screen is finger smears. I'm wanting to read the screen, not see smudges and stuff, so a physical keyboard is something I'm glad for. Also, my past experience with touch screens is that they're quite inaccurate when it comes to typing.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #38
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I voted yes since I like that qwerty keyboard for thumbs.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #39
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I voted for the keyboard. And dedicated number keys (with symbols) would be nice too.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #40
benee16
benee16 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I would like the keyboard at the top of the kindle so I can stop touching it while I'm reading. Or maybe a keyboard lock button. I'm tired of constantly hitting the keyboard and the forward buttons on the side because I want to hold my book between the bottom and middle of the device.
benee16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #41
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
You realize you can rotate the display right?
Yes the keyboard would be upside down, but that would solve your issue.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #42
psycholoner
Enthusiast
psycholoner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I like having a keyboard, but a lot of the time, I could do without it. I've tried doing small entries to a blog on my DXG and I find out that the screen can't keep up with the typing speed, and making small corrections can take a long time. Do to low pdf support, I can't really even write notes. The only time I've ever used it is for doing small internet searches, making collections, or looking in the dictionary. I definitely prefer a real keyboard though. However, most of the time, I wish I could just yank it off as an extra attachment, since it makes the already big DX even bigger.
psycholoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #43
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
I'm surprised how few of you want a touchscreen. personally, I would like it if properly implemented. I want the whole kindle to just be screen- no bezel, nothing. I really think over time that's what we'll end up seeing.
of course, over time it may not need a keyboard anyway because it will be able to take notes, etc. using voice recognition.

Last edited by bZkindle; 03-08-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typo fixed
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #44
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
I'm surprised how few of you want a touchscreen. personally, I would like it if properly implemented. I want the whole kindle to just be screen- no bezel, nothing. I really think over time that's what we'll end up seeing.
of course, over time it may not need a keyboard anyway because it will be able to take notes, etc. using voice recognition.
i don't think i'd be comfortable saying my notes out loud where others can hear. like i keep saying, i want a really nice stylus in the style of a pencil or a snazzy pen :x
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #45
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i don't think i'd be comfortable saying my notes out loud where others can hear. like i keep saying, i want a really nice stylus in the style of a pencil or a snazzy pen :x
haha. yeah, I didn't really think about that.
maybe give it ten years and it'll read your mind?
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keyboard, kindle