Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
gudrun45
Enthusiast
gudrun45 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350
ADE problem

When I plug in my Reader, is ADE supposed to show it in the sidebar like the Sony Reader Library?
For me, nothing happens at all.
ADE's help section says "Digital Editions automatically detects the presence of your device and offers to authorize it with your Adobe ID."
What do you do if your Reader isn't detected?
(It showed up in the Sony Reader Library and I authorized it there.)
ADE is authorized with my computer and I have an Adobe ID.
Also, I tried opening ADE and then plugging in my Reader, as well as plugging the Reader in first and then opening ADE.

Help!!! The reason I bought the Sony is to borrow books from the library and I need ADE for that, don't I?
Oh, I'm on a Mac, if that makes any difference.

Gudrun
gudrun45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Actually you don't need ADE once you have authorized the device. I actually uninstalled Adobe from one of my computers once the authorization was done. Reader Library is all you need, ven for library books.
Still ADE should recognize your device. I'm not anywhere near my reader right now so I can't check how it behaves, but before you get too desperate, try using just Reader Library!

Edit: I didn't notice you were on a Mac. Im not, but it should be basically the same, one would think.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
gudrun45
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Actually you don't need ADE once you have authorized the device.
I've authorized the PRS350 with the Reader Library but not with ADE.
Are you saying that ADE doesn't need to be authorized to borrow books? That would solve my problem!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that Reader Library and ADE are somehow linked/cooperating.
When authorizing the device in Reader Library I think one of the options was "authorize with Adobe account" or something like that.
Give it a try anyway. It might work!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
gudrun45
Enthusiast

It worked!

Woohoo! You were right! It worked!
I don't really care that ADE doesn't recognize my reader. From what I understand it doesn't work with Mac Computers anyway.

Gudrun
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
gudrun45, glad you figured it out. You are correct. ADE for Mac doesn't recognize the Sony ereaders. It works with other brands like my NOOKcolor but not with Sony. Latest news on the Adobe Tech Support website in January was that there are still no plans to fix this issue. You just need the Sony Reader Library software. The Sony software will work fine for your DRM purchases from other bookstores like Kobo and also with library books. That's what I do with my Mac, and I don't miss interfacing directly with ADE at all.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Woohooo! Glad it worked!!