Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Kobo Firmware 3.11.0

Just thought I would kick off the discussion of 3.11.0 by commenting that I am now getting a "We couldn't recognize your MicroSD card. Please format...." on my Aura H2O. When I run koreader and try to access the uSD card, it takes about 10 seconds before the eLibrary folder on it becomes visible.

Edit: Working now. I connected the Aura H2) to my laptop, copied all the contents of the uSD card to a temp folder on my laptop, reformatted it with the SDCard Formatter, copied the files back, rebooted my Aura H20 and no issues so far. Koreader is taking about 5 seconds now before I can see the eLibrary folder on the uSD card down from the 10 seconds.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-20-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added what fixed it for me
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
As always, I'm gonna wait for GeoffR to work his patching magic before I upgrade; just can't imagine living without TypeGenius for sideloaded fonts.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've upgraded my Aura. I like it! Going to upgrade a Glo now.

Finding the TOC is a bit of a trick. Well not anymore. I must have been dazed and confused by my new glasses.

I love that you can select full page numbers, even for side loaded kepubs.

Last edited by booklover6; 10-20-2014 at 03:26 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
scoky
Connoisseur
scoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; KOBO AURA HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
As always, I'm gonna wait for GeoffR to work his patching magic before I upgrade; just can't imagine living without TypeGenius for sideloaded fonts.
What's the TypeGenius?
scoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoky View Post
What's the TypeGenius?
The option to adjust the font weight on the device. Out of the box it works only with pre-installed fonts, with GeoffR's patch you can also use it for sideloaded fonts. All the fonts I use look better on eInk when they are a bit bolder than normal, which is easily achieved using the TypeGenius feature.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm not sure I even need the patch, now. At least on my Aura, the weight of my side loaded font is very dark, the font thick. Maybe the previous patch is still lurking unseen.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'm not sure I even need the patch, now. At least on my Aura, the weight of my side loaded font is very dark, the font thick. Maybe the previous patch is still lurking unseen.

What font do you use ?
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The font thickness isn't any different from previous firmware releases.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Not very exciting 3.11 is.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
Ebri
Groupie
Ebri began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Just thought I would kick off the discussion of 3.11.0 by commenting that I am now getting a "We couldn't recognize your MicroSD card. Please format...." on my Aura H2O. When I run koreader and try to access the uSD card, it takes about 10 seconds before the eLibrary folder on it becomes visible.

Edit: Working now. I connected the Aura H2) to my laptop, copied all the contents of the uSD card to a temp folder on my laptop, reformatted it with the SDCard Formatter, copied the files back, rebooted my Aura H20 and no issues so far. Koreader is taking about 5 seconds now before I can see the eLibrary folder on the uSD card down from the 10 seconds.
My SD is detected under Nickel, but does the same 10 or more seconds waiting with both systems. I thought about the above solution, I hope this week I'll have time to do the above and it will help. But what are the new features of 3.11?
Ebri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
What font do you use ?
My preference is JSWolf's Charis SIL Modified. Pretty much as demibold font so I don't need darkening on it.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #12
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
Looks like there are some new Reading settings. Fullscreen reading I enabled manually so I don't think that's enabled by default.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	2609
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	129923   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	2147
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	129924  
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #13
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebri View Post
My SD is detected under Nickel, but does the same 10 or more seconds waiting with both systems. I thought about the above solution, I hope this week I'll have time to do the above and it will help. But what are the new features of 3.11?
Under reading settings there are now options for how you would like your reading progress displayed. Chapter or entire book, as well as page number or percent read or time remaining.

Edit - Ryzir beat me to it.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
I like the new page control option. I can now tap to turn pages if I'm holding with either my left or right hand.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebri View Post
Most of the changes I've noticed are in the Reading Settings.
  1. A new addition to the tap zones where it splits the screen into 3 horizontal zones which might be handy for one handed users.
  2. An underline keywords items -- connected to Beyond the Book???
  3. Display progress can select current chapter or entire book. Works for kepubs but not for my sideloaded epubs.
  4. Display progress as page number, percent read or time remaining. Time remaining seems to be only for kepubs.
  5. When using the keyboard, holding a key brings up accented letters. The lower case e for example pops up e acute, e grave, e circumflex and e umlaut. So if you were searching for a book with cañon in the name, holding down the n pops up the ñ. Some oddities such as the l bringing up the l with stroke ( ł ) character which is not used in any of Kobo's supported languages.