Notices

Old 07-24-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
rpgmaker
Connoisseur
rpgmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Kindle PW2 no restoring notes, highlights or even progress from the cloud

Hello everyone,

Lately my PW2 (fw 5.4.5.1) no longer restores the notes, highlights and progress of the books I have emailed to my kindle. It used to back it all up in the cloud and restore it accordingly when I downloaded it again. Do they no longer do this for emailed docs or have they disabled it for my fw version? If so from which version is this still available?

Last edited by rpgmaker; 07-24-2016 at 12:45 PM.
rpgmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Check your messages at Amazon.Com
I know they sent out a message about their cloud.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2016, 05:49 PM   #3
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Check your messages at Amazon.Com
I know they sent out a message about their cloud.
I haven't seen an email about it other than the big 5.7.x update a couple of months ago but I don't remember it saying anything about this. Where is that "messages" section on the amazon site?
Old 07-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Go to my account, scroll down till you see messages. Click on important.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:06 PM   #5
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Go to my account, scroll down till you see messages. Click on important.
I don't see any messages related to this issue but I contacted support and, as I feared, I need to update my fw

Thanks.
Advert
Old 07-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #6
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Sorry for the double post.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201307450

Last edited by ashort; 07-24-2016 at 07:26 PM.
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:49 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

I was referring to this email.
Dear Cloud Drive customer,

On August 1, 2016, your Amazon Cloud Drive sync application (version 2.4.2 or earlier) will be deactivated and will no longer work. The Cloud Drive folder on your computer will still be there, but will not sync to your account. This change does not impact your Cloud Drive account or storage. We recommend safely uninstalling the application before this date to avoid interrupting your upload experience. Below are uninstall instructions.

Cloud Drive offers a new desktop uploader application, which you can get from https://www.amazon.com/gp/drive/app-download.

If you also want a sync application, you can find third-party sync apps, like odrive or Cloud Sync by Synology, in our App Gallery https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/apps. These apps work in parallel with the new Cloud Drive desktop uploader.

Sync Application Uninstall Instructions:

Recommended option: Install and run the latest version of the new Cloud Drive desktop application from https://www.amazon.com/gp/drive/app-download. Launch the desktop uploader to automatically uninstall the old sync application.

Manual option: Follow the step-by-step instructions in our Help Center: https://www.amazon.com/syncapp-uninstall. If you are not comfortable with the manual instructions, please follow the recommended uninstall option.

To learn more about this change or contact Cloud Drive customer support, visit https://www.amazon.com/syncapp-uninstall.

Thanks for using Cloud Drive.

I just knew it said something about syncing.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:31 AM   #9
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgmaker View Post
Hello everyone,

Lately my PW2 (fw 5.4.5.1) no longer restores the notes, highlights and progress of the books I have emailed to my kindle. It used to back it all up in the cloud and restore it accordingly when I downloaded it again. Do they no longer do this for emailed docs or have they disabled it for my fw version? If so from which version is this still available?
I'm not sure about the Cloud Drive discussion above, but I've noticed the same unreliability. So far my eink devices will sync page location with my iOS devices, but notes and highlights don't always sync. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Is this what you're experiencing? I'm hoping this is just a temporary server glitch on Amazon's side rather than some permanent change that's taking place. One reason I like Amazon is WhisperSync!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:04 AM   #10
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I'm not sure about the Cloud Drive discussion above, but I've noticed the same unreliability. So far my eink devices will sync page location with my iOS devices, but notes and highlights don't always sync. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Is this what you're experiencing? I'm hoping this is just a temporary server glitch on Amazon's side rather than some permanent change that's taking place. One reason I like Amazon is WhisperSync!
My issue isn't that it sometimes doesn't do it, it's that it completely stopped restoring my notes, highlights or reading progress. I contacted support and they told me that it was because of my fw version so I may need to upgrade in order to regain that functionality.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #11
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

I contacted support and they told me that restoring notes and highlights is no longer supported for emailed docs... that sounds weird to me because I haven't seen anyone else mention it. Saving the reading progress is supposed to work but on my device it still doesn't after updating to 5.8.1. Someone is supposed to get back to me in about 24 hours. I'd be pretty pissed if after going through all the trouble upgrading I don't get my notes and highlights back I also hope I can downgrade from 5.8.1 easily too.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:16 AM   #12
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgmaker View Post
I contacted support and they told me that restoring notes and highlights is no longer supported for emailed docs...
Most of the books I read are emailed (send-to-kindle). Notes and highlights still sync, but not consistently. I was hoping this was a temporary glitch, but if it's a sign that note- and highlight-syncing is being phased out, I'm going to be really
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:52 AM   #13
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I was hoping this was a temporary glitch, but if it's a sign that note- and highlight-syncing is being phased out, I'm going to be really
That's what support said but I think that he wasn't clear on that, let's see what a amazon says once they contact me again and I will report it on this thread.

Which device and fw version you have? Can you please let me know if it restored everything after performing the next steps: email a new book to your kindle device (or just downloading one you haven't read yet), set the progress some place other than 0%, highlight something, sync kindle, delete book and re-download it and see if everything is restored. On my kindle, after performing those steps nothing is restored, not even the reading progress.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I did some testing an also experienced odd behavior with a personal document on my Paperwhite 2 (5.8.1 firmware). Here are the steps I followed:

I converted a book to MOBI using Kindlegen and sent it to my Amazon account via email.

I searched for it on my PW2 and downloaded the book there.

I opened the book (loc 3) and jumped ahead. I highlighted a sentence (loc 297) and flipped further ahead (loc 313).

I did "Sync my kindle", exited to the home screen, and removed the book.

I re-downloaded the book and it opened to the beginning (loc 3) instead of the last place read (loc 313). I then went to the page containing the highlight and it no longer existed.

To add to the mystery I then opened the same book in the Kindle for Android app on another device. That device prompted me to go to the last page read (loc 313) it also showed the highlight that I had made in the book.

ETA: Further testing:

I deleted the book from the Android device and re-downloaded it. It opened to the beginning (loc 3), but soon prompted me to go to the furthest read location. I checked for the highlight, but it was gone.

So it appears to me that syncing and highlighting personal documents may work across devices, but removing and re-adding a book causes issues.

Last edited by jhowell; 07-26-2016 at 11:26 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:25 AM   #15
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
So it appears to me that syncing and highlighting personal documents may work across devices as long as you don't remove the book from any of them.
Actually, I think it's worse. I did the same thing you did and it did sync everything to the Kindle app for Android but you can't sync everything from the android app to the Kindle PW. At least I couldn't do it. It seems that if you delete the book from your Kindle device you can't never get back your reading progress, highlights or notes even if you have a synced copy of the book on the android app. Needless to say this sucks a lot