Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is there any issue with just having swipe on? Have you accidentally turned any page using the touch screen?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:14 PM   #17
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there any issue with just having swipe on? Have you accidentally turned any page using the touch screen?
That indeed rarely happens. The main benefit for me would be that you could touch the screen anywhere to bring up the menu interface (if Kobo made such an option available).
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2020, 04:37 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
That indeed rarely happens. The main benefit for me would be that you could touch the screen anywhere to bring up the menu interface (if Kobo made such an option available).
But if you changed the touch zones so touching anyplace on the screen brought up the menu, an accidental touch would bring up the menu and you'd then have to remove the menu. So that's not really any better.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:07 PM   #19
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
But if you changed the touch zones so touching anyplace on the screen brought up the menu, an accidental touch would bring up the menu and you'd then have to remove the menu. So that's not really any better.
No, but accidental touches happen far less than intentional ones. It would be a net gain for me not having to think about where I have to touch the screen when I need to.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:49 AM   #20
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
what level of magical programming can tell the difference between turning a page in multi page options, as opposed to turning a page in a book

it's a ludicrous idea

you are wanting code that knows " why" you just tapped.....

good luck writing your patch - I am done here

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
you mean like affecting dictionary, search, highlights, bookmarks, notes

"Code cannot tell when you are in a menu or in reading mode? And you still have interface buttons for paging within menus, if that was even necessary.". If interface buttons take you up or down a line in the menu, where's the EXIT button for going BACK

so I AM LOOKING AT A Word on a Page, WANTING to GET A DICTIONARY DEFINITION, BUT I cant touch or tap the word. what mode is that and how do you detect it, in code?
Kobo can, of course, tell the difference between turning a page in different contexts. Kobo knows what mode it's in and what's onscreen. You could disable page turning taps while still allowing tapping for exit buttons, etc.

You obviously don't know anything about programming, so perhaps in the future you should be more careful about sharing your opinions about what code can and cannot do.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHess View Post
Kobo can, of course, tell the difference between turning a page in different contexts. Kobo knows what mode it's in and what's onscreen. You could disable page turning taps while still allowing tapping for exit buttons, etc.
Oddly enough if you want to disable page turning taps, there is the Page forward and back option which can be set to swiping only.

Quote:
You obviously don't know anything about programming, so perhaps in the future you should be more careful about sharing your opinions about what code can and cannot do.
Hmmm.... Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, meet pot.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:59 PM   #22
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Oddly enough if you want to disable page turning taps, there is the Page forward and back option which can be set to swiping only.

Hmmm.... Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, meet pot.

Yes, I'm well aware of that option. That's why I mentioned it was possible in my post.

My point being that touch gestures can be disabled in certain contexts while still active in others.

I didn't feel the need to list my credentials to make this pretty obvious point, but I do know a couple programming languages.

I'm not sure why you're being snide when you know I'm right.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't feel the need to list my credentials to make this pretty obvious point, but I do know a couple programming languages.
Some of the best programmers I know are hopeless when it comes to interface design so I can't see the relevance of your statement. Now if you can point to some user experience design training and/or experience, that might be a bit less irrelevant.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you're being snide when you know I'm right.
Perhaps that your posts come across as though they were chiselled into stone tablets and carted down a mountain?
Old 06-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #24
DevonHess
Can't actually read

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Some of the best programmers I know are hopeless when it comes to interface design so I can't see the relevance of your statement. Now if you can point to some user experience design training and/or experience, that might be a bit less irrelevant.

Perhaps that your posts come across as though they were chiselled into stone tablets and carted down a mountain?
The point of disagreement isn't so much the interface as it is the functions the interface is invoking.

You've got a point though, I did come off as kind of an ass. I'm sorry.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:01 PM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
The point of disagreement isn't so much the interface as it is the functions the interface is invoking.

You've got a point though, I did come off as kind of an ass. I'm sorry.
Been there, done that, got the scars to show for it.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #26
rau
rau began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO libra h2o
Quote:
Actually I have accidentally turned pages with "page turn with swipe only", mostly when accidentally touching the screen (this is then translated to a "page turn"). When it happens, it takes time to find out which way the page was turned, and to find back to the correct page.
To me it is rather annoying, and I cant really see any reason to have touch page turn enabled when I only use the physical buttons.

I can live with the current possibilities, but I think it is a rather stupid limitation if the settings (it would, probably, be so easy to implement).

Regards
John
rau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rau View Post
Actually I have accidentally turned pages with "page turn with swipe only", mostly when accidentally touching the screen (this is then translated to a "page turn"). When it happens, it takes time to find out which way the page was turned, and to find back to the correct page.
To me it is rather annoying, and I cant really see any reason to have touch page turn enabled when I only use the physical buttons.

I can live with the current possibilities, but I think it is a rather stupid limitation if the settings (it would, probably, be so easy to implement).
Then tell Kobo you want it. They do listen as that's probably how the current two options came about. But, it wouldn't surprise me if they have already tried it and found it didn't work well for some reason. When they added the options, I would expect they looked at the other possibilities and decided against them for some reason. But, asking won't harm. If you don't, they won't know it is desired.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:43 PM   #28
RuZ
RuZ began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis
Hi All,
The option to disable the touchscreen for all gestures is absolutely essential in any e-reader, as it turns your device into an "inanimate" object and allows for relaxed reading, just like a real book. The kindle oasis has this option, and it is wonderful! You just disable the touchscreen and use only the physical buttons to turn pages. If you want the touch option back, you simply turn the device off and ON back. Simple.
RuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuZ View Post
Hi All,
The option to disable the touchscreen for all gestures is absolutely essential in any e-reader, as it turns your device into an "inanimate" object and allows for relaxed reading, just like a real book. The kindle oasis has this option, and it is wonderful! You just disable the touchscreen and use only the physical buttons to turn pages. If you want the touch option back, you simply turn the device off and ON back. Simple.
What you can do on a Kobo is set page turns to swipe so just touching the screen will not change the page.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:56 PM   #30
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
What you can do on a Kobo is set page turns to swipe so just touching the screen will not change the page.
How do you set it back to touch?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
settings, touch