Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 04:31 AM   #1
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
new max with lights?

https://twitter.com/OnyxBoox/status/1305899722369052675

the ereader is called max lumi in china, so it seems that they are going to release the first 13.3 with lights
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:12 AM   #2
IluvToRead
Enthusiast
IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Onyx Boox m92 - Kindle 4
Yes, they were talking about this over on https://goodereader.com/blog/onyx-bo...september-21st

Here is what someone said: "Why do companies pretend this is secret. It's on the fcc website to see. The max 4 (max limit?) Is coming out, slightly newer cpu, bluetooth 5. Also either a color mac orMcolor nova 2, both of which are also on the fcc website."

I don't know what the "fcc website" is.

Anyway, I'm still using an m92. I really need a Max 4 or a Max 3 PRO.

The m92 is too old now.
IluvToRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 05:25 AM   #3
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvToRead View Post
I do but I never thought looking for the device there.

https://fccid.io/XR3-MAXLUMI

https://fccid.io/XR3-MAXLUMI/Externa...photos-4866559

Last edited by whopper; 09-16-2020 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:29 AM   #4
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
If it's just a front light, and cpu/bluetooth bump I won't regret buying my Max 3 in the recent sale. I prefer using external lights anyway.

Real improvements for me would be:
- Higher PPI screen
- Physical page turn buttons (I use a bluetooth remote, but sometimes on-device is more convenient)
- Lighter
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:59 AM   #5
IluvToRead
Enthusiast
IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Onyx Boox m92 - Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
If it's just a front light, and cpu/bluetooth bump I won't regret buying my Max 3 in the recent sale. I prefer using external lights anyway.

Real improvements for me would be:
- Higher PPI screen
- Physical page turn buttons (I use a bluetooth remote, but sometimes on-device is more convenient)
- Lighter
Yeah, me too. I would have loved the higher PPI. Imagine have A4 size eInk at 300ppi.

And those page turn buttons that used to be on the Kindle 4. They were great. I miss those buttons.

I'll probably get it because I went back to Uni, and my m92 is driving me cray-zee. It works, but ... you know.
IluvToRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 07:01 AM   #6
.kai
.kai began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max3, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
[…]
Hi rowe,
that sparked my interest: which bluetooth remote do you use and would you recommend it?
cheers, Kai
.kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:51 AM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by .kai View Post
Hi rowe,
that sparked my interest: which bluetooth remote do you use and would you recommend it?
cheers, Kai
Yes, I'd like to know, too.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:01 PM   #8
rpvreviews
Enthusiast
rpvreviews began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note 10.3; Various Kindles in past
i think i will take the plunge, i really need front light on a 13.3" hope its a good product
rpvreviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:59 AM   #9
davester
davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX, Yotaphone 2, iPhone7+, Dasung 13.3" HD-FT Monitor, iPad Pro
I purchased a Dasung Paperlike e-ink 13.3" monitor last year. Pricey, but good investment for my eyes. It has a front light and interestingly, I find myself not using it ... where to me, having lightbulb-lamps close to the monitor provides more clarity/contrast of what's on the screen. On one side, I have a multi-bulbed 100w-CFL lamp & the other side, I have a small mini-bulb halogen lamp. The different kinds of "light" illuminate the screen differently, which IMO, gives good readability.
davester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #10
twospirits
twospirits began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvToRead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
I do but I never thought looking for the device there.

https://fccid.io/XR3-MAXLUMI

https://fccid.io/XR3-MAXLUMI/Externa...photos-4866559
For some reason the direct links don't show up.
The process to see the docs is as follows for those that do not know how to use the FCC to search for devices...

1-Proceed to the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) website
( https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ericSearch.cfm )

2-Enter XR3 in the Grantee Code field. This is Onyx's number. (If you are looking for another company and or don't know their grantee code, then enter the company's name in the "Applicant Name" field.) Then click the search button.

3-Some companies have a lot of entries, so back at the search screen, one may want to enter a date range to narrow down the results.

The results may or may not come back with a FCC ID that is easily describing the device, but in this case there is an entry of XR3-MAXLUMI, click on the detail or summary links for to see the documents.

Also note, some companies will add a notice to restrict showing off the images or docs until a pre-determined date and thus will not show up until after that date.

Hope this helps.

As for myself, I am interested in the Max for its size. The Max Lumi will probably have color if the fcc docs are any indication. Seems Boox gave the model numbers of "Max Lumi, Max Lumi Lite,Max Lumi Pro, Max Lumi Plus ,Max Lumi Color, Max New, New Max, Max4". Besides the Max/Max Lumi, I was also looking at the Boox Note 2,Note pro and in other brands the Supernote A5, the upcoming A5x and the Remarkable 2. I like the Boox brand for all the things you can do with them. Lets see what the announcement by them on the 21st of Sept will entail. I look forward to it and its reviews by the community.
twospirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:55 AM   #11
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
The Max Lumi will appeal to many who like a front light, but for me this is a negative. Primarily because it means there will need to be a gap between the screen and the display. I would be concerned about the effect on the writing experience: on my Nova Pro there is an illusion of "lag" between the stylus and the line drawn, but on closer inspection it is the gap between glass and the display. The Nova Pro has a front light.
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
It will also be interesting to see if they have to make the case stiffer to keep the display from flexing to keep the light evenly distributed. A stiffer case would probably mean a heavier device.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #13
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by .kai View Post
Hi rowe,
cheers, Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Yes, I'd like to know, too.
There's much cheaper options, but after trying a few I've been using this for some time and am happy with it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's comfortable to hold, quiet, reliable and quick to connect. Works across all apps that allow standard next or volume down buttons (Includes NeoReader, Moonreader, Tachiyomi and most other decent reading apps). Makes reading very comfortable when the reader is in a stand.

99% of the time I'm just pressing the next (page) button. So I've stuck a felt adhesive foot on it so I can tell I'm over the right button without looking.

Single button bluetooth camera shutter buttons should be ideal just to turn to the next page, but unfortunately I couldn't get them to work.

If I had to get another, I might try the Boox Remote though. I didn't previously because it's big. But some of the newer Android readers don't even have a home button.
https://www.boox.com/boox-remoter/

Last edited by rowe; 09-21-2020 at 10:34 AM.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:49 PM   #14
whopper
Addict

Quote:
There's much cheaper options, but after trying a few I've been using this for some time and am happy with it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's comfortable to hold, quiet, reliable and quick to connect. Works across all apps that allow standard next or volume down buttons (Includes NeoReader, Moonreader, Tachiyomi and most other decent reading apps). Makes reading very comfortable when the reader is in a stand.

99% of the time I'm just pressing the next (page) button. So I've stuck a felt adhesive foot on it so I can tell I'm over the right button without looking.

Single button bluetooth camera shutter buttons should be ideal just to turn to the next page, but unfortunately I couldn't get them to work.

If I had to get another, I might try the Boox Remote though. I didn't previously because it's big. But some of the newer Android readers don't even have a home button.
https://www.boox.com/boox-remoter/

the bad thing with the non onyx ones, is that you won't have a refresh button
Old 09-23-2021, 08:11 AM   #15
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
the bad thing with the non onyx ones, is that you won't have a refresh button
With Android 9.0 there came a standard KeyEvent REFRESH 0x11d=285. I'm not sure that they're using that. If somebody owns an Onyx Remote could they check what the keys do? You can download UsbMode.apk from my website in the sig. It will show you what keycode is generated. I attach a photo of the remote so you can annotate the buttons. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	booxremote.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	189364  
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote