Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-25-2021, 07:28 PM   #1
cm1
Enthusiast
cm1 doesn't littercm1 doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook
Upgraded to firmware 6.4.424 and PocketBook Touch HD3 Froze, but ...

It would freeze at the boot screen where it says "Pocketbook", a hard reset (holding down the power button for 10 seconds) would reset it, but it would still start up again and freeze again at the same boot screen.

I was able to unfreeze it at that screen by holding down the < and > keys for two seconds to force quit whatever was frozen. I did this a few times and it eventually got to the main screen, but the interface language was wrong.

I figured something was wrong with the firmware, so I downgraded back to 6.1.900, and it's working fine so far.
cm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:29 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm1 View Post
I figured something was wrong with the firmware, so I downgraded back to 6.1.900, and it's working fine so far.
I'm glad you were able to fix it. That's one huge advantage of just about everyone else compared to Kindle. You can "downgrade."

What's weird is that I was just thinking of checking for upgrades for my HD3 – and then I thought, "why?" I'm happy with it, as is — and I can't imagine the battery life getting any better with an upgrade.

Thanks for posting. If I do upgrade, I'll wait a while until I know the bugs are ironed out.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If I do upgrade, I'll wait a while until I know the bugs are ironed out.
In the meantime, you might want to get a copy of the current firmware release, in case you ever want to revert to it in the future. It may stop being available for download after the next update comes out.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:55 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
In the meantime, you might want to get a copy of the current firmware release, in case you ever want to revert to it in the future. It may stop being available for download after the next update comes out.
Good advice. Thanks. I will do this. ... (I went ahead and downloaded all four versions displayed for my model, including the version currently installed.)
Old 07-30-2021, 12:04 AM   #5
cm1
Enthusiast

I re-downloaded the firmware 6.4.424 file and applied it, and this time it looked like it worked. Startup seems to be about 1/3 faster compared to 6.1.900, and loading books & flipping through book pages too. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:50 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I re-downloaded the firmware 6.4.424 file and applied it, and this time it looked like it worked. Startup seems to be about 1/3 faster compared to 6.1.900, and loading books & flipping through book pages too. Fingers crossed.
I'm still waiting because I don't want to mess up the amazing battery life on my HD 3. It finally got down to about 20%, so I'm charging it today (that's the 3rd time since the end of January — and the first charge was right after I bought it). So, I'm curious. Have you noticed any change in battery since updating? Faster startup and smoother page flipping would be nice, but I don't want to screw up the battery life.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:27 AM   #7
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I've never had a noticable change in battery life after updating a Pocketbook. All my devices have excellent battery life and only need to be charged once in a while.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:58 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
I've never had a noticable change in battery life after updating a Pocketbook. All my devices have excellent battery life and only need to be charged once in a while.
Sounds good. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:44 AM   #9
cm1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm still waiting because I don't want to mess up the amazing battery life on my HD 3. It finally got down to about 20%, so I'm charging it today (that's the 3rd time since the end of January — and the first charge was right after I bought it). So, I'm curious. Have you noticed any change in battery since updating? Faster startup and smoother page flipping would be nice, but I don't want to screw up the battery life.
I ended up upgraded to 6.4.466 manually without any issues, with no noticable change in battery life.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I ended up upgraded to 6.4.466 manually without any issues, with no noticable change in battery life.
So two votes for the upgrade. I guess I'll go ahead then. I'm just a little reluctant to mess with something that works so well. But if the HD3's new firmware really does start faster and has "snappier" page turning, it looks like it's worth it.

Thanks.