Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohannesM View Post
The printed book itself exists and will exist in the future as well obviously. And epub is not limited to iPads, I see it more like an opportunity to sell digitized textbooks to students (parents) who have the means to use any device they like.

It's diversifying means not replacing oldschool books. That's why I'm dealing with indesign - the printed book has already been designed and laid out, now I'm just customising it to another readable format. I doubt the publisher (client) would've made the decision to digitize the textbook if the demand wasn't there.
I meant, are you designing/converting this for ePUB format, only? No MOBI version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But how many devices and apps support FXL?
And therein lies the rub. FXL specs are pretty much device-specific. The FXL that INDD outputs is pretty much Apple-centric, although it also works on Kobo, because Kobo simply took Apple's standards and made them work therefor. It was a smart move on their part to snag distribution.

But I have no idea if the fxl that works on an iPad will work on the millions of other ePUB-reading devices that are out there. That's not been my understanding, but it's not something I've delved into.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks, Hitch. That was very much my point: PDF is a true standard that can be read on any device. FXL isn’t.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But, if the PDF is created t be letter sized with headers/footers and wide margins, then on a lot of small portable devices, the PDF is going to display very poorly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #34
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

Spoiler:
And before everybody leaps to defend iPads, they are CLEARLY a tool for consumption, not really creation. I have one, for testing purposes,
and sure, it's nice, but I most certainly don't use it for any type of actual work. Yes, yes, I know, some people attach keyboards to them, etc.,
but the vast majority of real, live people that I see out in the wild are watching movies, playing games, reading social media, etc.

Hitch
@Hitch, have to respectfully disagree, at least in terms of what I see around my haunts.

Spoiler:
I see students using iPads and 'droid tablets to do assignments, write music, draw buildings etc, most days of the week. I also see people using them to do their jobs: mobile bankers visiting clients, real estate agents talking to buyers, supplier agents checking super market shelves, local govt workers photographing broken sidewalks, insurance workers assessing damage to cars, houses, infrastructure etc, utility workers checking power poles, fixing leaking water mains etc.

Seems to me almost everyone uses them to do their work, I've even seen restaurant waiters take orders on them, and concrete delivery truck drivers use them to bid for jobs.

Oh, and little kids playing games and doing other stuff. My neighbours six year old granddaughter wrote me a letter on her tablet a couple of weeks ago, which her mother copied and emailed to me. It wasn't typed - it was written/drawn using digital crayons.

David Hockney paints on his iPad, single edition prints sell for tens of thousands of dollars.

What you said re 'watching movies, playing games, reading social media, etc.' is certainly true of smart phone usage around here. But you forgot 'taking selfies and then spending time culling them' and 'rearranging their app icons'

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-03-2018 at 06:27 PM. Reason: typo
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:40 PM   #35
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, if the PDF is created t be letter sized with headers/footers and wide margins, then on a lot of small portable devices, the PDF is going to display very poorly.
While true, anyone who creates a letter sized PDF that is intended for use on an ereader or phone is a fool and they need to learn their craft.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Hitch, have to respectfully disagree, at least in terms of what I see around my haunts.

Spoiler:
I see students using iPads and 'droid tablets to do assignments, write music, draw buildings etc, most days of the week. I also see people using them to do their jobs: mobile bankers visiting clients, real estate agents talking to buyers, supplier agents checking super market shelves, local govt workers photographing broken sidewalks, insurance workers assessing damage to cars, houses, infrastructure etc, utility workers checking power poles, fixing leaking water mains etc.

Seems to me almost everyone uses them to do their work, I've even seen restaurant waiters take orders on them, and concrete delivery truck drivers use them to bid for jobs.

Oh, and little kids playing games and doing other stuff. My neighbours six year old granddaughter wrote me a letter on her tablet a couple of weeks ago, which her mother copied and emailed to me. It wasn't typed - it was written/drawn using digital crayons.

David Hockney paints on his iPad, single edition prints sell for tens of thousands of dollars.

What you said re 'watching movies, playing games, reading social media, etc.' is certainly true of smart phone usage around here. But you forgot 'taking selfies and then spending time culling them' and 'rearranging their app icons'

BR
When I first got mine, I was curious--and so conducted an informal poll of everyone I met, clients, etc., who had one. My answers were very different than yours. {shrug}. Obviously, we see and hang out around different people.

I will say that in the last decade, seriously, I haven't seen a single person use an iPad at work. Perhaps it's a regional thing. Not one. I've seen people use iPhones, to take payments from me, but that's it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:58 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
While true, anyone who creates a letter sized PDF that is intended for use on an ereader or phone is a fool and they need to learn their craft.
The problem is that you cannot make a single PDF for Readers. You have Different resolution and different screen sizes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:09 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that you cannot make a single PDF for Readers. You have Different resolution and different screen sizes.
That's not relevant here, though. The page of the OP's ebook is a digital copy of the page of the printed book. That's pretty much mandates that one requires a reasonably large screen to read it on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #39
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's not relevant here, though. The page of the OP's ebook is a digital copy of the page of the printed book. That's pretty much mandates that one requires a reasonably large screen to read it on.
... if the printed book is a large book.

Textbooks, in recent decades, do tend to be rather large. Even a half century ago, my school textbooks were larger than my dad's college textbooks. This day and age, publishers desiring to publish both print and electronic editions of textbooks should design the book for the electronic edition first and then port to print.

I reviewed my dad's college textbooks that I have, all engineering topic full of diagrams and formulas. They were all single column text on pages with a diagonal measure of 9-10.5", the size of the smaller current iPad Pro. They were all very functional and all would have been easy to convert to PDF had they been produced today in the likes of InDesign.

My high school and college textbooks were often on larger pages with 2 columns. This is a style that should no vanish completely from the textbook world.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote