Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Any of these Sonys worth buying?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...24%24%24%24%24

I know Sony's going out of the ereader biz so would I be shooting myself in the foot if I bought one of these? I'd love to buy one of the $29 ones but if they're no good the $39 one would be okay. They're refurbished but hey they're $29!

It's only today so a swift reply would be cool. Thanks!

P.S. Which of the $29 dollar ones is better?
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, not worth it. Old hardware, no touch screen, old version of ADE that doesn't support full justification. I would say no to buying a PRS-300.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, not worth it. Old hardware, no touch screen, old version of ADE that doesn't support full justification. I would say no to buying a PRS-300.
Okay. Thanks, JS. (Got any suggestions for an inexpensive alternative?)
Old 12-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Get the T3, they are cheap now, since Sony left the battle.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Nah, they're ancient. Get a used / refurb T2 from ebay.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good grief, Gregg, just buy something. Any reader is better than none. How can you, as an author, not have a reading device? You can't go wrong with any of the major brands.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I recommend getting any of the current E-Ink Kindles, if you want this for a reading device.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Sony isn't 'going out of the ereader biz', they are long gone.

I loved my Sonys (I've had 3) but when it came time to replace the last one, having one that was currently supported was fairly important to me. My ereader lives with me - it's the first thing I pick up in the morning, after my glasses, and the last thing I put down at night. I don't want some throwaway device - I want something GOOD.

So will you, once you come over to the ereader side.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suggest getting a Kobo Aura HD and a Kindle (the new basic touch model) so you'll have one that supports ePub and one that supports Amazon.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:06 AM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Thanks for the input, everybody. Looks like I'm waiting till the next big sale, but at least I'll be a little more prepared when it comes. BTW when's the next big sale? Is it the day after Christmas or the day after New Years or when?
Old 12-03-2014, 03:59 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
For items at Amazon, register with camelcamelcamel.com and they will email you when the price drops below your target price.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks for the input, everybody. Looks like I'm waiting till the next big sale, but at least I'll be a little more prepared when it comes. BTW when's the next big sale? Is it the day after Christmas or the day after New Years or when?
There is a sale at Kobo for an Aura HD for only $99. The sale runs from December 9 to December 31.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #13
miztiik
Enthusiast
miztiik began at the beginning.

Device: Yet to decide on one - My reason to join here
You can get a Aura for 99 from best buy - http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/.../10266174.aspx
miztiik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
For items at Amazon, register with camelcamelcamel.com and they will email you when the price drops below your target price.
Cool, Paul. Thanks. I signed up. I targeted PW for $100 and Kindle for $50. They both sold below that on Black Friday.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #15
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a sale at Kobo for an Aura HD for only $99. The sale runs from December 9 to December 31.
Thanks JS. It looks really nice. But is it as good as PW? (I've heard the reading quality on PW is just a touch better.)