Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #61
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
After all, Sigil is an ePub2 compliant editor not an ADE compliant editor.
Of course. What I mean is that:

a) If your goal is making an ePub compliant book, just adding font-variant is enough. No need to embed or choose a font, as the renderer should be able to simulate the smallcaps if needed (as many browsers do). I don't know what Sigil will display, though.

b) If your goal is making an ePub that works as designed in most readers, then font-variant will do nothing, and you'll have to use other tricks (embedding a smallcaps font and setting a style to force it, or faking them directly).

Note that I have nothing against your suggestion, except, in general, against unnecessary inline styles, but as you say, Sigil already does that. The only possible problem is that it might make users think it will work, and often it won't.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #62
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
After all, Sigil is an ePub2 compliant editor not an ADE compliant editor.
Well yes. But that's like making a website that's broken in IE and hiding behind "get a better browser". You're "righr". But you're not communicating.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #63
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I still don't get
1. how you can expect to cut out bits of a book & still expect internal links to quotes etc to still work. Even if we solved your highlighting issue, that would not work ???

2. why you need to preserve the links anyway - if the link is say to a foot note you just cut out & paste the footnote in-line.

I recall when I was at school how some kids would copy their homework assignments straight out of an encyclopaedia, & not realise that leaving in stuff like ( see also page 69) was a dead giveaway.
For the love of heaven, are we all still having this conversation?
  • VERY SIMPLY: Explode the epub, or, for the less technically-adept, switch to Code View.
  • Copy and paste the HTML from your document. If you have multiple chapters, you can either a) copy-and-paste them in sequence, or, b) merge all the chapters, and then copy and paste them into an HTML editor. Something very simple, like NoteTab, will work, if you don't have a proper HTML editor.
  • Save the file. Call it whatever you want book.html.
  • Open the bloody file IN Word.
That's it. Now you have your ePub in Word, and you can do word-procesing-type things, whatever, highlighting, making notes, whatever it is you want.

I for one certainly don't want Sigil made more like Word. If people need a Word-like interface, they can fork over $40 and buy Jutoh, or use AWP, or use OO and OO's export feature. All BV seems to do is create havoc, with people who seem to think that BV should do everything that CV does (as if this is an Apple product) without them having to understand how it works.

I don't want to have Sigil making design "decisions" for me, like inserting bloody dropcaps, with whatever styling gets agreed to here. I can make my own dropcaps. I can make my own headers. If somebody can't, then maybe they ought to learn how. If they don't want to, they can use Scrivener or one of the others. I don't understand why Sigil has to be bastardized to be "more like {X} (insert word-processing program name there)." It's made huge strides as an XHTML editor--not a Word processor. It's perfectly simple for even the most amateur noob to learn how to export some WP's content to HTML, which they may then open in Sigil. As has been discussed here before, Sigil is an XHTML editor, and an ePUB-making program--not an authoring program.

There are other things I'd prefer to see for Sigil, that have been discussed here; lists for misspelled words and the like. Granted, a lot of that should/could be done in the HTML editor that one uses pre-Sigil, but still, it would be helpful. Adding some type of "inline styling" doodah--just to save someone the work of adding a span class around something--seems like a lot of coding for a very small gain. And why not just make a dropcap span a clip? Or anything similar? That's what I've done in NoteTab Pro--just made a series of clips, to facilitate speedy "spanning" and regex. Isn't that the entire point of spiffing up Sigil's regex engine, and adding the clip library?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #64
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It is a matter of design direction for Sigil. I thought that had been decided a while ago by user-none, his crew and existing users: a professional level tool for creating epubs. Make it as easy to use as possible, but make it work well.

Extreme simplicity in book view is not possible to do well because it is hard to say where a change should start in book view. It is very clear in code view because it is the underlying and operative code.

There is not much reason to make something that is used only at the start of chapters a button. There is only so much landscape on the screen, so it is important it be used well, especially if someone is using a smaller screen, like 15" (I had to use my shop setup for a few days, and buttons started lining up in rows.)

Despite the pleas of this user, adding something like highlighting is not in line with that goal either. I would rather have a tool honed for the job than a Swiss Army knife.

Last edited by mrmikel; 12-27-2012 at 08:32 AM.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #65
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
It is a matter of design direction for Sigil. I thought that had been decided a while ago by user-none, his crew and existing users: a professional level tool for creating epubs. Make it as easy to use as possible, but make it work well.

Extreme simplicity in book view is not possible to do well because it is hard to say where a change should start in book view. It is very clear in code view because it is the underlying and operative code.

There is not much reason to make something that is used only at the start of chapters a button. There is only so much landscape on the screen, so it is important it be used well, especially if someone is using a smaller screen, like 15" (I had to use my shop setup for a few days, and buttons started lining up in rows.)

Despite the pleas of this user, adding something like highlighting is not in line with that goal either. I would rather have a tool honed for the job than a Swiss Army knife.
So....we're agreeing, right? ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #66
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You betcha!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote