Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #46
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's View Post
We are pretty in the beginning of epub's reader and editor's. In only few years, I could imagen that even Word will be able to read and maybe to edit epubs without the need for any HTML code's.
I am sure of it, but it might be further of than you might think. Also I have doubts about the potential quality. If you see in how many ways you can f*** up a Word document without a problem, it does not bode well...

Quote:
Refering to ebook readers; they will be aplenty in color available soon too and in e-ink quality.
Doubtful. I have seen reports about color e-ink for many years already. So far not much. I would not be surprised if dedicated e-books will remain over for example 5 year.

Quote:
I think plenty of business people want to make notes and highlight text wile reading a ebook and maybe also have later the need of printing some of it out...
To be honest I make all kind of highlights and notes in PDF, but I never print them out. I almost never print anymore. In my experience there is less and less printing.

Quote:
Join Sigil & Calibre and make text highlighting possible and you're the best
Would would anybody join Sigil and Calibre? They are two totally different programs with different usages. Not even to speak different programming languages.
Calibre is more a library management tool with some conversion capabilities and Sigil an ePUB creation/editing tool. Both totally different.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #47
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I have seen reports about color e-ink for many years already. So far not much. I would not be surprised if dedicated e-books will remain over for example 5 year.
Maybe not e-ink exactly, with its super-long battery life. But since a Nexus 7 came into my household, I'm afraid the Kindle isn't getting a lot of use. The daily charge isn't a problem, especially as it tops up through the same mini-USB connector your phone probably uses. (Apple are so silly, using a non-standard connecter,)
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #48
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i see no market for coloured e-ink

I reckon that the "e-books in colour" fans will use tablets - android, apple, MS windows 8... - as part of a general shift to multimedia "books" with embedded audio, video....
latest tablets offer "retina display" quality as the expense of some eye strain & shorter battery life, & publishers can package the book with the movie of the book, or the book of the movie; and can offer the graphic comic for the literary challenged, the audio book for the visually challenged...

there is just so much more scope to sell stuff to a tablet owner, compared with a hypothetical colour e-book owner. The commercial failure of 10 inch e-readers like K2 also suggest a shift to tablets/netbooks.. for business users

single-purpose dedicated e-book readers will continue in B&W , expect the laggards to add back light to their range to compete with paperwhite & nook glow, or to quit the marketplace ( Sony don't seem to know what to do! )
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #49
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I bought my little PRS-300 with a cover with a light all included in the price of the reader. Works on a separate battery, so it doesn't run the book battery down.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #50
Frank's
Frank's began at the beginning.

Device: PC WIN 7 64x
Quote:
I wish you're right!!
Ok I'm working for example in this ebook regularly:

jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-teach/is-this-what-god-purposed/

Try and let me know if the URL's works with just copy and paste into word.
I'm sorry I was wrong... when I mentioned URL's I didn't mean excally web side connections. Ya URL's work without a problem also in word as long as you have a internet connection.
What I ment was the link's to other quotes in the material source shown above, if I copy parts out of the ebooks, or magazines, they don't work anymore in word.

Kindle is a very nice ebook reader nothing else. Not of any use for me out of different reason I mentioned along this thread.

Quote:
To be honest I make all kind of highlights and notes in PDF, but I never print them out. I almost never print anymore. In my experience there is less and less printing.
epub's are comming ==>> With the new generation of PC / Tablet's like Surface Pro with WIN 8 more and more students, teacher and buiness people will use ebooks. For example for handing in homework, a review, a presentation, an expose, or to prepare a discourse, you will have the need to print stuff on paper from time to time. Then you want to cut out pictures you don't need, edit or change text and you want to highlight text and all this without loosing the links until you're done and ready to print what you need.

FOR THIS SIGIL IS "ALMOST" PERFECT !!!

Quote:
Calibre is more a library management tool with some conversion capabilities and Sigil an ePUB creation/editing tool. Both totally different.
That's because we're just in the beginning of epub's. Just look above and beyond what is needed now. Who thought about a PC / Tablet combination with touch screen like the WIN Surface Pro a couple of years ago? Nobody (well maybe Bill Gates). This is like SIGIL for me if you would add just some simple tools more for a "non HTML" end user like me. Sigil would become useful for more people in the future then you may think in the moment.
Frank's is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #51
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I still don't get
1. how you can expect to cut out bits of a book & still expect internal links to quotes etc to still work. Even if we solved your highlighting issue, that would not work ???

2. why you need to preserve the links anyway - if the link is say to a foot note you just cut out & paste the footnote in-line.

I recall when I was at school how some kids would copy their homework assignments straight out of an encyclopaedia, & not realise that leaving in stuff like ( see also page 69) was a dead giveaway.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #52
Frank's
Frank's began at the beginning.

Device: PC WIN 7 64x
Thumbs up cybmole

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
2. why you need to preserve the links anyway - if the link is say to a foot note you just cut out & paste the footnote in-line.
Thanks for this idea!! Of couse it's so simple, but it works

Now if I could highlight the footnote in yellow and write maybe my own comment behind it and mark it in blue.... lol just joking. But I can still copy it into word after adding the footnotes for further refinement . That works fine for me in the moment. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I still don't get
1. how you can expect to cut out bits of a book & still expect internal links to quotes etc to still work. Even if we solved your highlighting issue, that would not work ???
Ya exacllty it can't work you're right. Thats the reason why I opend this thread. I like to prepare everything first in Sigil, before copying it now into word, because I have all the hyperlinks still working.

I can say my problem is solved and I like to give thanks to everybody taking the time to help a simple user to enjoy Sigil even more.

Frank's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #53
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Yes, but only if the highlighted text is not flagged by the spell checker in which case only spelling suggestions are being displayed.
Ah, yes, a feature to avoid too many entries in the menu. I'll change that - especially since we'll put the clips under a Clips menu on the context menu.

Quote:
(Unlike previous versions, there doesn't seem to be an option to turn off the spell check in v6.)
Use the toggle Tools->Spellcheck->Highlight misspelled words.

Quote:
IMHO, it would be helpful if one of the next minor versions would have the one of the following features:
- user defined shortcut keys and/or toolbar buttons for 1-5 custom styles/clips (E.g. S1, S2, S3, S4 and S5) that can be applied in Book View mode
- a user defined Small Caps style, e.g. <span class="sc">\1</span> with a dedicated toolbar button and a shortcut key
A dedicated small caps button is probably out since it can be done in so many ways. Specific dedicated buttons for more formatting are also probably unlikely - everyone wants their own custom button. The existing ones cover the common items and others are better implemented flexibly with clips.

Using the clips in Book View isn't straightforward. But after reading the comments in the thread I took another look, and, funnily enough getting them to partly work was actually not too involved (after all the previous work to get the javascript right for inserting ids, etc. of course). But Book View will not support much with this first approach and will not give you the control you have in Code View. So you can use <span...>\1</span> entries ok, but <div> tags will be ignored and <p> tags get mangled if the whole paragraph isn't selected. You can also end up with extra nbsp entities. It might be possible to work around this with some heavier scripting (to avoid for example trying to insert a div tag inside a p tag), but at the moment, if it stays, we'll just warn that Book View clips can only use simple tags like span, etc., if it

A way to provide buttons and/or shortcuts is interesting. I actually had buttons for clips on the toolbar at one point just to see if it was possible (it was), but took them off in favour of the context menu. I'll look into adding them again if it still seems ok - a lot is different since clips first went in. Possibly we'll turn a specific clip group or the top level clips into buttons. Although it may be that buttons aren't necessary with the new Clip window since you can single click them from a list. Shortcuts if added may be limited to 5 or 10 probably manually defined in the shortcut preferences - not sure if they'll have to match the buttons. Another option is to handle it like the Clipboard History - a shortcut to open the new Clip window and then 0-9 to select a clip. Something to experiment with - but suggestions welcome.

Did you know you could use the current Clips with keyboard only - just use the shortcut to open the window, type the first few letters, tab to paste, and esc to close the window. Not too much of a shortcut, but its something and gives you an idea of what they might be like.

And all of this discussion of Clips ties into consideration of a CSS styles dropdown or list feature - a list of styles defined in the CSS files. Given the flexibility of Clips, and the difficulty with CSS styles (when to apply, what to actually apply, etc.) its likely that we may not won't implement a CSS styles dropdown/list since we already have Clips.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #54
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Quote:
(Unlike previous versions, there doesn't seem to be an option to turn off the spell check in v6.)
Use the toggle Tools->Spellcheck->Highlight misspelled words.
I didn't notice that Sigil has menu toggles and expected spellcheck options to be located in the Spellcheck Dictionaries dialog box.
I'd nice if you added an extra Highlight Misspelled Words check box there or simply added a No Spellcheck option to Dictionary drop-down box.

Quote:
Another option is to handle it like the Clipboard History - a shortcut to open the new Clip window and then 0-9 to select a clip. Something to experiment with - but suggestions welcome.
I really appreciate the work that you put into the clip functionality. IMHO, adding predefined keyboard shortcuts for a limited number of clips would make them even more useful.
How about implementing clip selection via a shortcut key and the clip number (without displaying the Clip window first). E.g. CTRL+ALT+0 selects the fist clip in the list, CTRL+ALT+1 the second one etc.?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #55
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Doitsu
The clips have multiple levels

I just put the frequently used ones at the top (or on the fist sub level of the top item)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #56
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I just put the frequently used ones at the top (or on the fist sub level of the top item)
That's what I do, too.
Actually, I don't need all the multilevel stuff. IMHO, multilevel clips are overkill.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #57
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I didn't notice that Sigil has menu toggles and expected spellcheck options to be located in the Spellcheck Dictionaries dialog box.
I'd nice if you added an extra Highlight Misspelled Words check box there or simply added a No Spellcheck option to Dictionary drop-down box.
Maybe renaming it to 'Toggle Highlighting of Misspelled Words' would make it more obvious. Its in Tools to make it easy to turn on/off. In preferences its a little more hidden. Its not on the context as it applies to all pages.

Quote:
I really appreciate the work that you put into the clip functionality. IMHO, adding predefined keyboard shortcuts for a limited number of clips would make them even more useful.
How about implementing clip selection via a shortcut key and the clip number (without displaying the Clip window first). E.g. CTRL+ALT+0 selects the fist clip in the list, CTRL+ALT+1 the second one etc.?
Glad its useful. Will look at this for the shortcuts as well.

Quote:
Actually, I don't need all the multilevel stuff. IMHO, multilevel clips are overkill.
Fortunately its setup so you can use multi-levels if you want them, and completely ignore them if you don't want them.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:12 AM   #58
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Maybe renaming it to 'Toggle Highlighting of Misspelled Words' would make it more obvious. Its in Tools to make it easy to turn on/off. In preferences its a little more hidden. Its not on the context as it applies to all pages.
The name of the option is not the problem. I was confused, because all other settings can be accessed via the Preferences menu.
Currently there are only two options that can be toggled via menu options:

Format > Heading > Preserve Eexisting Attributes
Tool > Spellcheck > Highlight Misspelled Words

I'm not a software developer, but, IMHO, it would simply be more consistent and probably less confusing to put all options in a Preferences dialog box and use sub-menu entries only for commands.

Quote:
Glad its useful. Will look at this for the shortcuts as well.
Great! I'm sure you'll come up with a solution that'll make clips even more useful.

Quote:
A dedicated small caps button is probably out since it can be done in so many ways.
Since the paragraph alignment buttons insert inline code, e.g. <p style="text-align: center;">...</p> how about simply adding a Small Caps button that'll wrap the text in <span style="font-variant: small-caps;">...</span>. It would be up to the user to make sure to either embed a font that supports small caps and/or choose a display font with small caps support.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:33 AM   #59
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
how about simply adding a Small Caps button that'll wrap the text in <span style="font-variant: small-caps;">...</span>. It would be up to the user to make sure to either embed a font that supports small caps and/or choose a display font with small caps support.
I'm afraid that wouldn't help with Adobe-based readers. As far as I know, they just ignore "font-variant". The trick to make them work involves embedding and forcing a font that has only small-caps, and using it as if it were a normal font.

If those readers behaved as intended (as intended, that is, by the spec and the users), they would obey "font-variant" and use real small-caps if available or fake them otherwise.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:12 AM   #60
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I'm afraid that wouldn't help with Adobe-based readers. As far as I know, they just ignore "font-variant".
I'm well aware of this ADE limitation, however, if you prepare a book with Sigil and set the default font for example to DejaVu Sans, DejaVu Serif, Linux Libertine/Bolium or any other free font with small caps support, Sigil will display small caps.

After all, Sigil is an ePub2 compliant editor not an ADE compliant editor.