Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #1
JackSPk
JackSPk began at the beginning.

Device: none
[Solved] How to extract webm videos from PDF

I'm really stuck here, trying to extract short webm video files from a PDF. I searched the entire day about it, trying different programs and methods, but nothing work.

With an EPUB is really easy, because I can open it with Calibre, and a temp folder is created with all the videos inside, so I tried to convert the PDF to EPUB with Calibre and then open it, but the conversion has no videos, just a lot of images with a couple of pixels inside (and it was REALLY slow, like 2 hours to convert it).

Tried converting to other formats, but was exactly the same, and really slow too.

Is there a better way to do this? Or I just need to keep trying programs and conversions until I success (or not)?

Last edited by JackSPk; 02-02-2015 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Solved
JackSPk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:27 AM   #2
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Inside PDF? Eww.

I've never seen video embedded in a PDF, but based on what PDF files usually look like under the hood, I'd expect the video data to be in the form of a giant blob of base64-encoded data, in all likelihood, wrapped with some sort of magic commands to tell the reader that the blob contains video data. If you can find that blob, you can probably copy the base64-encoded blob to a text file, then use a base64-decoding tool to extract the raw video.

Of course, whether anything can then process the video file or not depends on whether they leave in the appropriate header data when they stick it in the PDF file or replace that data with equivalent data somewhere else in the PDF file (in which case you'd have to reconstruct the header bits). I couldn't begin to guess. It's worth a shot, though.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I would expect that video in PDF is using FLV format.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
JackSPk
JackSPk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Solved!

Thank you for your responses. Fortunately I didn't need to decrypt the pdf manually or something like that.

What I do was install Mac OS X Mavericks on VirtualBox, download File Juicer, download the PDF again and then extract all of it's content.

It took a lot of time because running mac os in an AMD is really tedious, but worked, so :)

PS: Just in case that someone want to know the video format, according to File Juicer, is MP4.
JackSPk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:22 AM   #5
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSPk View Post
Thank you for your responses. Fortunately I didn't need to decrypt the pdf manually or something like that.

What I do was install Mac OS X Mavericks on VirtualBox, download File Juicer, download the PDF again and then extract all of it's content.

It took a lot of time because running mac os in an AMD is really tedious, but worked, so

PS: Just in case that someone want to know the video format, according to File Juicer, is MP4.
Typically FLV & MP4 - containers. Anyone find a tool like this on Windows?
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #6
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
Typically FLV & MP4 - containers. Anyone find a tool like this on Windows?
See this thread.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extract, pdf, video, webm