Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
How to load Kobo book onto Sony reader?

Without Kobo, how can Kobo books be loaded onto Sony eReaders e.g. Sony PRS T1?

Thanks.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Without Kobo, how can Kobo books be loaded onto Sony eReaders e.g. Sony PRS T1?

Thanks.
Goto the Kobo webpage, look in My Books, click on the ... and select download. Then sideload the downloaded book to your Sony. I'd recommend passing it through calibre for metadata, covers, DRM removal and general management goodness.

This is all tied back to SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 being removed for encrypting connections. These days, they are not secure protocols.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Goto the Kobo webpage, look in My Books, click on the ... and select download. Then sideload the downloaded book to your Sony. I'd recommend passing it through calibre for metadata, covers, DRM removal and general management goodness.
In kobo.com, how can the setting be changed so that the download of the book goes to the computer instead of how it's set now?

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
To download any book you own/buy from the Kobo website you just do what David said, there is no setting.

Go to My Account --> click on My Books --> find the book you want to download --> click the three dots and select download.

After clicking download you'll either get an ePub file for non-DRM'd books or an ACSM file for DRM'd books. The ACSM would need to be opened with Adobe Digital Editions (or the Sony desktop software should still work as an ADE replacement) and it will use the ACSM to interface with the DRM servers which will send a DRM'd ePub copy (Kobo may still have a few PDF's, but pretty much everything they sell has an ePub).

Once you have the book you can remove the DRM, sideload it to the Sony, or whatever... Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1904
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	169370  

Last edited by AnemicOak; 01-29-2019 at 04:18 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
copy/paste from my post in the other thread:

For the books I have bought from the Google Play store, I buy and download from my PC then sync to my reader using the Reader for PC software (software is still available for download from Sony https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/W0010082 ). I assume you can do the same for Kobo books.

I don't actually buy a lot of books (I read mostly library books) and I don't think I've actually bought any from the Kobo store. I do have books bought from the now-defunct Sony store which were transferred to Kobo at the time the Sony store closed, but those books were already all on my reader beforehand.

I have received a number of Google Play gift certificates as birthday/Christmas gifts over the past couple of years so that's where shop for ebooks.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
the Sony desktop software should still work as an ADE replacement) and it will use the ACSM to interface with the DRM servers which will send a DRM'd ePub copy
The fact that the Sony desktop will still work means I shouldn't have to change anything. I thought kobo announcment implied that interface would not longer work.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The fact that the Sony desktop will still work means I shouldn't have to change anything. I thought kobo announcment implied that interface would not longer work.
You won't be able to connect to the Kobo bookstore/website directly from a Sony device over WiFi anymore.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:25 PM   #8
petercreasey
Wizard

The question was how to get the ebook from kobo to the Sony Reader. A message hereinabove say kobo.com will still connect with Sony Desktop to send the ebook. If so, then nothing has changed for this sequence.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:59 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
The question was how to get the ebook from kobo to the Sony Reader. A message hereinabove say kobo.com will still connect with Sony Desktop to send the ebook. If so, then nothing has changed for this sequence.
For that sequence no. Some people however directly download on the device which is going away. You didn't state your methodology in the OP.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:57 PM   #10
petercreasey
Wizard

Thanks for the clarification. It's good to know that what's been working in this case will continue to be viable.