Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-06-2019, 07:38 PM   #361
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Eh, all my Kindles spend most of their time in a pile on my shelf, and I've yet to encounter any issue reviving them from their "oh noes, battery is empty" shutdown .

(f.g., earlier this afternoon, I booted a Kindle Touch that I last touched in May).

You just have to remember to unplug/replug them once they've rebooted, as some of them stay in trickle charge otherwise.
(... and also not to leave those with RP+CRP installed in diags too long, as, again, weird charge behavior there).
I recently had four KT devices that I had to do the freeze/charge routine on.
One of them it was: freeze/charge/freeze/charge (had 3G, should have been off, but ...).

But all four of them had been sitting on empty battery screen for years.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:30 PM   #362
VeronVB
VeronVB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 2018
Hey, yesterday i bought Kindle Paperwhite 2018, in the device i have 5.10.2 firmware, is there already any way to downgrade? Thank you for any response.
VeronVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #363
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In two words:
Serial port.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #364
VeronVB
VeronVB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
In two words:
Serial port.
Ok, I can do flashing through serial port, I can solder, only how to open kindle? What kindle serial usb cable to pw4? In python I've already written something so I won't have any bigger problems. I am open to suggestions
VeronVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #365
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronVB View Post
Ok, I can do flashing through serial port, I can solder, only how to open kindle? What kindle serial usb cable to pw4? In python I've already written something so I won't have any bigger problems. I am open to suggestions
Suggestion #1:
Read the thread on the topic.
All Kindles use the same USB to 1.8v serial adapter.
All Kindles since the K4 use the same connector pad layout.

Suggestion #2:
Ask Google for an illustrated teardown or two of the PW4.
From the outside it does not look any different than any other PW* to open.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #366
trcm
Connoisseur
trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW4, Libra H2O
I thought the latest PW4 serial-jailbreaking thread indicated a problem with missing bootmode command, and the boot command being locked on these new firmwares?
trcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #367
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by trcm View Post
I thought the latest PW4 serial-jailbreaking thread indicated a problem with missing bootmode command, and the boot command being locked on these new firmwares?
Uncomfirmed.
BUT
Keep in mind, both the KOA2 and the PW4 are the "Androidized" systems, not the legacy "dual boot" systems. So expect differences, keep good notes about what you find so you can document it here.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #368
marinai
marinai began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4/KPW-3/Kindle3/Pocketbook-Touch Lux3/Kobo-Elipsa
Just want to post one more success. PW4, original FW 5.10.0.2. Followed all the steps as prescribed, upgraded to the new FW 5.10.3. Re-installed Python, KUALBooklet-coplate, and kindle-linkss. KUAL and Screensaver work. as do all the other buttons.

Thank you all.

Marina
marinai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #369
dream_state
dream_state began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinai View Post
Just want to post one more success. PW4, original FW 5.10.0.2. Followed all the steps as prescribed, upgraded to the new FW 5.10.3. Re-installed Python, KUALBooklet-coplate, and kindle-linkss. KUAL and Screensaver work. as do all the other buttons.

Thank you all.

Marina
Ok so I'm following OP's guide (first time jailbreaking a kindle), I install KUAL using the 2.7.15 then am I supposed to copy the files from KUALBooklet-coplate? Still getting white screen when launching KUAL.

*EDIT - Nevermind, im uninstalling KUAL2.7.15 and reinstalling KUAL-Coplate, see if that works

*EDIT 2 - KUAL working! Yay - ignore this post

Last edited by dream_state; 02-16-2019 at 08:48 PM.
dream_state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:05 PM   #370
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
if I just plan on staying in koreader, any reason to to try upgrade to 5.10.3?

(running 5.10.2 on my jailbroken PW4)
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:07 PM   #371
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Same as usual: everything's running in the background on Kindle, so most performance improvements *will* trickle down, if they're not app-specific.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:33 PM   #372
arooni
Addict

So it's safe to upgrade to 5.10.3 from 5.10.2 and keep jailbreak dtatus ?
Old 02-18-2019, 06:32 PM   #373
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@arooni: Yes.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #374
arooni
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@arooni: Yes.
Awesome; did the upgrade to 5.10.3 and upgraded KOReader to latest nightly. One thing I'm curious about,

1) Is there anyway to copy over from the old version of koreader my history file? i.e. all the books I've opened?
2) Where does evernote login information get saved? It doesn't seem to have a settings file I can see.
3) Once I have the hotfix installed and then do an update like I did there's no need to reinstall the hotfix due to its viral nature correct? I saw the "bridge" when I started up the device and was able to easily reinstall KUAL (and it had all extensions/apps I had previously installed, I thought I'd have to manually reinstall those).

I copied the cache directory but I don't know where this information is stored.

I think I copied over the rest of the important things (fonts, dictionaries, defaults, etc)

Last edited by arooni; 02-19-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:03 PM   #375
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@arooni:

1/ A KOReader upgrade shouldn't affect your history (... unless you're doing a clean install manually or via the KUAL extension, of course ;p).
Otherwise, mostly everything sits in the settings folder, settings.reader.lua, the persistent defaults lua file, and the sidecar folders alongside your books (so, outside of KOReader's folder).

2/ No idea, a quick glance appears to point to reader settings (i.e., settings.reader.lua), like everything that doesn't live in defaults. Some plugins do use a dedicated file in settings/, too.

3/ That's not usually needed, no. You might need an extra restart for every hook to sink back in place, but that's it.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-19-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Tags
jailbreak, pw4