Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2019, 05:38 AM   #1
banid0
banid0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
Kindle Paperwhite 3 jailbreak/KUAL/extensions difficulties

Hello to you all,

I bougt a Kindle Paperwhite 3 in 2016 and did jailbreak at the time. S/N G090 G105...

I had for long an old firmware 5.6.5 but I wanted to update.
As I read in the forum it could be dangerous to update directly, i updated to 5.9.7 and then to 5.10.2, which I have at the moment, the most recent one.

I tried to run KUAL then, and it gave an error. So after extensive reading, i found the hotfix, put the bin of the JailBreak-1.15.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip in the root and updated the kindle. After that I ran the ;log mrpi after putting soem package there that I unfortunately don't remember.

In the end I can run KUAL from search bar.

I have two icons, the KINDLE LAUNCHER and KUAL without icon. The first one doesn't run, the send does and opens KUAL.

The thing is, i have several extension but i can't run none. Nothing happens. it crashes to the homescreen.
It lists KUAL+, 3DMaze, Ataxx, calculator, Helper+, kindlelazy, launch sudoku, screen savers and usb network.
I can explor ethe KUAL menus, but when they should do something, they only crash.

So as I am very confused, can you please help identifying which steps I'0m missing or missed?

I don't have any trouble doing resets or deleting everything if needed.

-Is the jailbreak intact? Is it OK? Does it neeeds some updates?
-Running KUAL proves that jailbreak it's ok or it might run only some parts?
-is the problem extensions related that might not run in this new firmware? Can you please point me one extension that runs on 5.10.2 PW3? Soemthing that does anything different so I can confirm jailbreak+KUAL are ok?

banid0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:34 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jail break instructions
None of our add-ins are protected across updates, you must always re-install them.
Be certain to use the most recent add-ins available.
And start each re-install by reading ALL of the directions. Sometimes the directions have changed since you last install the add-in.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Some "native" (i.e., compiled C/C++ code) extensions may just be broken on FW >= 5.8.x, as there have been some rather massive changes in the underlying system.

Otherwise, what @knc1 said.

If you're able to run KUAL, you should be okay. Just make sure you've installed the *latest* hotfix, as otherwise, on FW 5.10.x, being able to *launch* KUAL doesn't mean being able to *run* stuff with KUAL .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-08-2019 at 12:02 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
banid0
banid0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
I read all the information the thing is sometimes the information is dispersed and I don't know that is current or deprecated :S

What would I have to do again, being certain I don't need to repete the step before?

I assume I installed the latest hotfix, as the KUAL woudln't open before I installed it ailBreak-1.15.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip and after installing, KUAl would run. This ios the latest, right?

Regarding to add ins I downlaoded in the last days (yesterday or something)

What would be the steps I could follow to be sure KUAL is rightly installed? Like the most simple extension or something?
banid0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 03:50 PM   #5
gkkbbb
gkkbbb began at the beginning.

Device: KPW5
I searched hotfix_install.bin and brought me here. My question is do I need to install evey Upadte_<Appname>_hotfix_<hex>_install.bin from the MRPI packages. I saw these in watchthis-jailbreak, KUALBooklet and KOLBooklet. I only installed the one from the jailbreak
gkkbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 02:51 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@gkkbbb: No. They're there for very special cases that should be documented in their respective documentations.

(As a rule of thumb, if you don't understand something, don't do anything and ask, so, good reflexes there ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 11:06 PM   #7
gkkbbb
gkkbbb began at the beginning.

Device: KPW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@gkkbbb: No. They're there for very special cases that should be documented in their respective documentations.

(As a rule of thumb, if you don't understand something, don't do anything and ask, so, good reflexes there ).
gkkbbb is offline   Reply With Quote