Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-04-2019, 02:36 AM   #16
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
If I'm going to be waiting somewhere I bring my primary ereader -- a JetBook Lite. It has a screen, but isn't likely to be confused with a cell phone or a tablet. I bring it with me when I take my Dad to a doctor's appointment, when I have to wait for my son at his job, etc. This time of year it has the advantage of fitting into my coat pocket, but it's not ungainly in my hand during the summer.

Of course, I don't carry a bag of any sort. I suspect bags are attractive to thieves and muggers because they offer the possibility of several items of potential value.

If the family is going on a vacation -- say, a week at the shore -- I bring the JBL to read in our rental, but I also bought a used lime green JetBook Mini specifically to use when it might be left in the car, taken out on the sand, etc. The Mini has one very good point to recommend it -- it looks like a toy. In particular, it looks like a scaled-down Etch-a-Sketch.

NOTE: The JetBook Mini is a very limited ereader. I would not recommend buying one unless you can get it dirt cheap! I think I got mine for about $20 about six years ago.

Last edited by cromag; 02-04-2019 at 02:39 AM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:26 AM   #17
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCactus View Post
My other addiction other than kindles are bags. I love Timbuk 2! Which messenger bag and size do you use if you don’t mind sharing! I didn’t see the business messenger bag.
I use the Timbuk2 Command TSA friendly messenger bag with laptop compartment. It fits my Chromebook perfectly and I use the around the chest connector so the bag is secured around me in 2 places.

It looks like it is soon to be discontinued as it is on "final sale" on their website.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #18
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I seem to be invisible to thieves, thankfully . Not once but twice a thief ran by me in two seperate stores last year. The first time I was opening the door to enter a Best Buy and someone ran out the other door followed by security. Seems they stole a new cell phone. I was not paying attention because I was putting my phone in my purse while opening the door. The second time I was at the check out at Home Depot, near the exit door. Someone had a full cart and ran out the doors and quickly dumped the items into a waiting truck in the loading dock just outside the door. I knew something was up when I saw people gathering around me, asking each other " Did that just really happen ?" Security was called but were too late. Both times I had my purse open with my cell phone and ereader in it. Thankfully these thieves only wanted new stuff.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:28 PM   #19
WestCactus
Zealot
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Oasis 1 & 3, Fire 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I use the Timbuk2 Command TSA friendly messenger bag with laptop compartment. It fits my Chromebook perfectly and I use the around the chest connector so the bag is secured around me in 2 places.

It looks like it is soon to be discontinued as it is on "final sale" on their website.
That looks like a great bag. What size do you have? Amazon still has plenty.
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #20
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Are ereaders desirable (to thieves)? I couldn't imagine them being so, I am an avid reader and they are not even desirable to me .

The only run ins I have had with thieves has been a few times with pickpockets (not here in NZ, but overseas). Every time I caught them in the act, one of whom I was in a position to be able to apply strong physical and painful discouragement from ever trying it on with me again (I should add that he was a little weedy looking chap ).

In his university days our son worked in a supermarket, mostly as a duty manager which meant he had to deal with shoplifters. One day a young girl of around 11 or so was walking out with some sweets she hadn't paid for and he called out for her to stop. She peed herself with fright and stood there in her puddle crying, he thought that was enough punishment and so did not call the police to give her the fright of their authority but just called her parents to come and pick her up .
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #21
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Regarding bags, for general casual street use I use a light Samsonite messenger bag with a flap that closes over the top of all the zipped compartments for security. Its main compartment is just big enough for my reading tablet (in a sleeve), my street camera, lunch and drink, and a jersey if needed.

An arm is always looped through the strap no matter what and I have never lost anything. But nearly did in a Paris restaurant (one of the less salubrious ones with bench seats and tables) but was very lucky; I left distracted by talking with a friend and some wine , and after walking 5 minutes or so realized I had left my bag behind with wallet, a camera, etc. in it. Rushed back and the proprietor met me with a big smile; the next person who sat in the same place was a very honest man who handed it in (he was in fact the main male actor in an American TV series of the time).

Last edited by AnotherCat; 02-05-2019 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Removed a meddlesome apostrophe.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #22
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCactus View Post
That looks like a great bag. What size do you have? Amazon still has plenty.
I have the one that fits a 15" laptop. I use it for work and/or court every day.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #23
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I'm amazed my Voyage hasn't been lost or broken the way I carry it around like a phone and drop it constantly for two years now, so if someone does steal it, well I figure it had it coming.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:52 PM   #24
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I don't carry a purse (except when my wife hands me hers while she runs off to do something, then I do carry it, all embarrassed and such). But I doubt thieves target you because of what they think you have in your purse. They probably target you because they think it will be easy to get your purse from you, and then get away unmolested. If there's something good in your purse after they've run to their safe space, fine. If not, well, on to the next victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
With bags that strap around the body, it's fairly easy for a snatch-thief to cut the strap. They can be really quick.
If I were a purse carrying type of guy, I would get a gun purse. Even if you don't carry a firearm, these purses have good features. For one, the straps are usually reinforced with a steel cable down the middle. Not easy to cut for the slash-and-grabbers. And the clips that attach the strap to the bag are heavy duty so they don't give way even under a strong pull.

But you do have to have a plan with such a purse. The steel cable in the strap could end up getting you tangled and physically attached to your attacker. If you indeed keep a firearm in your gun purse, then that is a great way to unattach said attached attacker (if you are practiced and confident). But even without that, with a reinforced strap you could wrap that a couple of times around your chair leg or table leg and a thief wouldn't be able to quickly cut the purse loose and run with it. They'd make quite a scene turning over tables and chairs to get the strap loose.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:18 PM   #25
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I live in the UK where carrying guns is illegal and uncommon. A gun purse isn't something the average person can buy. The safest way to carry a handbag is to have it over your shoulder while also clutching it in your hand and being very aware of who is around you. Never let someone walk behind you unless the street is very crowded.

My shoulder bag had the strap broken from my shoulder when it was snatched. He did it so quickly and expertly, it took me a few seconds to realise what had happened. If gun carrying was legal in the UK (thankfully, it's not) I might even have shot him in the legs.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:10 PM   #26
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've never had anyone say anything or try.

I think I'm gonna carry around my kindle keyboard instead of my paperwhite, though.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader safety, reading in the wild