Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Device recommendation
Sony Reader PRS 505 19 57.58%
Cybook Gen3 10 30.30%
eBookwise 1105 1 3.03%
Other: Please specify in the thread the device you are refering to 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
crazyTash
Enthusiast
crazyTash began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, eBookwise 1150
Question Yet another confused individual

Hi all,

I've been reading e-books since a very long time. I use my laptop. I hate the fact that I have to wait to get home to continue reading a book if I don't carry my laptop with me.
So I finally decided to shell some money and get myself a reader.

I mainly read fiction. Bestsellers. I tend to get books in lit format. But I am more than wiling to convert them into html, txt, doc or rtf.
No pdf reading ability required in my reader!

oh and I live in Toronto, Canada

My requirements:
- I plan on just reading books on the device (no note-taking or reading newspapers/blogs or drawing)
- I don't highlight, search or mark favorites while reading a book. As long as the device can remember the last page that I was reading....I'm happy.
- I don't need a dictionary. I don't do heavy reading. The books that I read are light on the big words
- I'll be downloading books on my computer and then transferring them over to the device. So don't need a keypad. I have to be able to download the book on my computer first because I want to keep a backup. Also, I prefer to buy using my computer.
- Once I get it, I plan on using it as long as physically possible. So it has to work for at least a few years (Durable)
- Most of my reading is done while traveling and late at night. So text should be clear in indoor lighting and the text shouldn't flicker (hope that makes sense) Also, I read for around 5 hours at a stretch every night. The device shouldn't strain my eyes too much.
- Most of my books are in html, lit, doc or rtf format. The device should be able to read the format or there should be a program that can convert from these formats to the ones that are compatible with the device.
- I buy my books in lit format from a site I found a few months back. That site has all the books that I need (I checked!) and they have a nice point system that helps me save a little money. So I'll continue to buy my books from them. So I don't care about the extent of the book collection of the site associated with the reader.
- Something with a fairly good battery life.
- Expandable memory.

I've managed to narrow down my options to the following devices:
Sony Reader 505
Cybook Gen3
eBookwise 1105

I know that the Sony Reader is not available in Canada at the moment. But if it is worth it, I am more than willing to drive down to Buffalo to get myself one.

The main reason the cybook is on the list is because it's available in Canada. So in case I have any problems with the device, I have the option of using customer service.
According to many people, the best features in the cybook are the dictionary and the font increasing capability. I don't need a dictionary and I read my books in 12 pt font (even on a moving vehicle). So these features are not much of a selling point for me...
Many people seem to have trouble with the navigation button on the Cybook. Also, I'm not sure if the device is sturdy enough for me and I need a better cover for it because I plan to take my reader wherever I go

That being said, the E-Ink technology is very tempting. But I'm not sure if I will have to carry a light with me (while traveling overnight) just to be able to read my book....

So between the cybook and the sony which one is better given my circumstances?

The ebookwise is on the list because of it's stability. As someone mentioned "it's a tried and true reader". But I am not sure about the back light feature. Is it too much of a strain on the eyes if you read for too long?

Please feel free to recommend any other readers.

The other readers that I considered but rejected:
- Amazon Kindle: Side buttons seem like a hastle and I don't need a keyboard. So that feels like a waste of space.
- PDAs/cellphones: Don't want a PDA or a cell phone to read. I want a dedicated e-book reader with a good screen.
- Iliad: Don't need that many features and have you seen the price?

--------------------------------------

So yeah...please advice

oh and one more thing...I have never owned an e-book reader before. So I'm not sure what features I should be looking for. If you think of anything that I have missed, please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by crazyTash; 01-28-2008 at 11:30 PM.
crazyTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
You should also consider the old Sony Reader, the PRS-500. You can find it on Ebay for around $200 from sellers who ship worldwide.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 12:00 AM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
The sony is really solid.. and eInk more than makes up for needing a light occasionally. Sony actually sells a really nice light for fifteen bucks, too.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I voted for the Sony. If you don't need features like search and dictionary lookup or Mobipocket format, then the Sony seems like a good choice. I think e-ink is worth carrying a small booklight for. It's so nice on the eyes and the battery life makes it a great choice for those of us that want to read for long stretches. The Sony is the lowest price e-ink reader out there and seems to cover all the features you'd like. It's also sleek, light, attractive and, from what I hear from the owners on this board, quite reliable.

By the way, if you end up looking for a light, I really like my Mighty Bright LED booklight. I have a Kindle which is the same screen as the Sony and the illumination is perfect. It's light, folds down quite small, and the LEDs last a long time.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Given your givens, I'd recommend either PRS model. If the lighting thing is a deal-breaker for you, then the eBookwise is a good second choice, but you will have the flicker and it's bigger, bulkier and runs through its batteries much faster.

There are a number of good booklights identified in the Sony forum threads on that topic, so perhaps one of those will work for you -- I personally endorse the CCFL lights, they compliment e-ink very nicely.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 02:35 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You don't tell us which country you are in. The problem with the Sony is that, unless you live in the US, you're effectively buying it with no warranty. The Gen3, on the other hand, has a two year world-wide warranty.

If you live in the US, I'd recommend the Sony. If you live elsewhere, the Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:46 AM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Gen3, on the other hand, has a two year world-wide warranty.
It is only one year international warranty.
But i love my CyBook anyway.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
crazyTash
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice!

So I guess eBookwise is out! (1 down, 1 more to go )

Thanks for all the book light options. I'll look into all of them.
Now I'm just stuck on this...
1] Buy the sony reader without warranty
2] Buy the cybook just for the warranty (while paying a lot more)

I'll be starting another thread with a poll just to get a feel for how many people actually made use of the warranty on their readers. If I am not allowed to open two threads in the same forum, please feel free to close it!!

Quote:
You don't tell us which country you are in.
Actually I did mention it a few times. But I've written such a long essay, it's difficult to find it
I'm in Toronto, Canada.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyTash View Post
I read my books in 12 pt font (even on a moving vehicle). So these features are not much of a selling point for me...
I probably read with a smaller font as standard on my Cybook (I use Lucida Sans and size the 4:th smallest) and I have to increase the size when the light is bad or when travelling with bus.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
If you have a PC and run Windows then the original Sony PRS-500 is an option (used at about $200 as mentioned earlier.) Some people like the controls of the 500 better than the 505 although most go the other way and like the 505 over the 500 -- the screen is far better. At the same screen quality as the 505 is the Gen3. Either way you can't go wrong.

You may want to do a day trip to Buffalo just to see one before you buy; but, be careful, you may wind up buying it on the spot.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #11
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
You should also consider the old Sony Reader, the PRS-500. You can find it on Ebay for around $200 from sellers who ship worldwide.
I disagree completely. The old PRS-500 was only accessible through Sony's sorry, proprietary software. The PRS-505 works like a USB drive. It reads many formats (txt, trf, pdf) natively, without depending on the proprietary conversions.

I own a PRS-505, and it will do what you want, with a few conversion utilities for LIT files. Use Word to convert DOc files.

I haven't used the others.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #12
crazyTash
Enthusiast

Going with the Sony Reader PRS 505. Thanks for all the helpful advice people!