Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Help with my H2O

I need some help with my H2O.

I installed a fw package (fyi 4.8.11073) but something weird occurred and seems that the file was corrupted before transferring to device. The corrupted part of archive affected the complete upgrade directory (u-boot and uImage files).
The device did the update and it stopped in the restarting screen. The light stay off and when I try to switch on (always with the restarting screen present) the light of the button stay on during 10 seconds but nothing happend.
I have tried to reset with the pinhole (push during more than 10s and 30s) and nothing, and the special reset with start button pressed and touching both lower squares (I have some practice with it).

Have someone any idea to restore it (without open device)?

Thanks to all people for reading in advance.
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Is it possible for you to send me a copy of the corrupted archive?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #3
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Is it possible for you to send me a copy of the corrupted archive?
Well, like it was corrupted I haven't got any reason to backup. I only checked that the four files in upgrade directory were corrupted. The weir thing was that I can unzipped all but the files were full of garbage. I suppose that the problem was with the dictionary of compressed file, but at that point I think that's irrelevant.
Thanks and sorry for not to have the file. Some other idea?
Old 08-25-2018, 08:06 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You'll probably have to open it. The only thing I can think of is to try doing a full charge and attempting to reset it. The main issue is that the reset is handled by u-boot, so if it is corrupted, there's not much that can be done to fix it.

Does it show up as a usb device (of any sort) when you plug it in (look in Device Management on Windows or lsusb on Linux)?
Old 08-25-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
boriar
Evangelist

@geek1011
You only confirm what I think.
The device was nearly full charge. When I connect to PC and push start button the PC detect and mount it, but 10s later the device is off and PC unmount it. Too short time I'm afraid!
Do you know some good guide to open it without too many risk?
Old 08-25-2018, 09:49 PM   #6
geek1011
Wizard

If the computer detects it, there may still be some hope. If you could get me a screenshot, I'll have a look. I don't know of any guide to open the h2o up though.

If you still have warranty, you may want to see if you can get it replaced.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:09 AM   #7
boriar
Evangelist

@geek1011
First, thanks for trying to help me with that.
About warranty, it was finished sometime ago.

Here is the screenshot. The screen never change even connected with PC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180826_115004_resize.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	558.2 KB
ID:	165860  
Old 08-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #8
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
I installed a fw package (fyi 4.8.11073) but something weird occurred and seems that the file was corrupted before transferring to device. The corrupted part of archive affected the complete upgrade directory (u-boot and uImage files).
The device did the update and it stopped in the restarting screen. The light stay off and when I try to switch on (always with the restarting screen present) the light of the button stay on during 10 seconds but nothing happend.
I have tried to reset with the pinhole (push during more than 10s and 30s) and nothing, and the special reset with start button pressed and touching both lower squares (I have some practice with it).

Have someone any idea to restore it (without open device)?

Thanks to all people for reading in advance.[/QUOTE]

Hi !

I have the same problem.
1) Connect KOBO to your PC.
2) Press the "POWER button" until the tablet turns off completely and again continue to "!hold!" POWER (10-20s).
3) As follows, the recovery screen and your tablets will be restarted to (rescue system) firmware '4.6'.

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Restore-KOBO-H2o-redemarage-infiny.png
Views:	117
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	165864  

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 08-26-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #9
geek1011
Wizard

That's the factory reset, which he said he tried.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #10
boriar
Evangelist

@Michal Jancik
Thanks for the idea, but your H2O is Edition 2 and mine is the first. In any case I have tried the method and no luck.

Like geek1011 said, this is the factory reset for the new H2O. For first version it's different (described in first post)

Last edited by boriar; 08-26-2018 at 08:45 AM. Reason: New text
Old 08-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #11
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
Well, like it was corrupted I haven't got any reason to backup. I only checked that the four files in upgrade directory were corrupted. The weir thing was that I can unzipped all but the files were full of garbage. I suppose that the problem was with the dictionary of compressed file, but at that point I think that's irrelevant.
Thanks and sorry for not to have the file. Some other idea?
Wait a second. When you said they were garbled, which files are you talking about? Everything should be garbled but md5sums, which should contain checksums for the other files.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #12
boriar
Evangelist

There is not md5 file because isn't the original update file. I modified the package (like many other times), not the upgrade directory, but obviously something were wrong at compression moment (I suppose)
Old 08-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #13
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
This is the first H20 idol, I did not notice my fault.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 08-26-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #14
boriar
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
This is the first H20 idol, I did not notice my fault.
Don't worry. I really appreciate your help.